Powerline slow internet while local network is fine

So i bought a new pair of powerline because my mom hated the cable i had running up to my room. The powerlines work fine when transfering files from my nas to my pc or vice versa. But they hava a very slow speed over internet about an eight of what i have with the cable, does anyone know a fix?

Thank you for your help

Jonas

Main rig: I7 7700K @ 4.6GHz - Asus Z270F - KFA2 GTX 1080 - NZXT H440

Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 - Kingston 500GB ssd - WD 2TBHDD - Seagate 1TB HDD - Windows 10 - 16GB crucial balistic ram

Audio equipment: Sennheiser HD650 - Sony MDR Z-7 - SMSL sanskrit pro - Fiio K5 amp - KZ ZST - One more triples

Nas: Amd Fx6300 - Some gigabyte motherboard - Nvidia GT630 - Seagate 8TB HDD - 8GB ram - Windows server 2012 r2

Don't use Powerline. They can cause inconsistent experiences like this, and I know from personal experience.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

7 hours ago, tjonas005 said:

So i bought a new pair of powerline because my mom hated the cable i had running up to my room. The powerlines work fine when transfering files from my nas to my pc or vice versa. But they hava a very slow speed over internet about an eight of what i have with the cable, does anyone know a fix?

Thank you for your help

Jonas

What is your Internet Connection Speed (What package do you pay for)?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Same problem here, I get 192 Mbps from my router (amazingly close to the 200 I'm paying for) but only 5-30 Mbps at my pc. Unfortunately, due to the architecture of the house running a cable is not an option. I'm also pretty sure that Wi-Fi won't do the job either, no matter how expensive a router I buy.. 

Any suggestions I haven't thought for really welcome

21 minutes ago, phen3x said:

Same problem here, I get 192 Mbps from my router (amazingly close to the 200 I'm paying for) but only 5-30 Mbps at my pc. Unfortunately, due to the architecture of the house running a cable is not an option. I'm also pretty sure that Wi-Fi won't do the job either, no matter how expensive a router I buy.. 

Any suggestions I haven't thought for really welcome

Depending on your house architecture you should look into MoCA adapters. I haven't used them myself so i wouldn't recommend them.

But its worth looking into.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/04/ask-ars-what-some-are-networking-alternatives-to-ethernet-and-wifi/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2950015/home-networking/powerline-vs-moca-which-alternative-networking-technology-is-the-best.html

or wifi extenders

Hey,

I have fixed it sorry for not answering for a while. For me it was a setting in my powerlines, I have tp-links and they come with some software in wich you can't really do much but in the advanced setting there was a slider for vdsl-mode, this fixed it for me, hopes this helps not sure how you would change this on an other brand. 

By the way i pay for 50mbps down and 8 mbps up, i really wanna switch to something better but then i would have to lay a cable to a distribution box and that is pretty far away, so that cable won't be cheap.

Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 - Kingston 500GB ssd - WD 2TBHDD - Seagate 1TB HDD - Windows 10 - 16GB crucial balistic ram

Audio equipment: Sennheiser HD650 - Sony MDR Z-7 - SMSL sanskrit pro - Fiio K5 amp - KZ ZST - One more triples

Nas: Amd Fx6300 - Some gigabyte motherboard - Nvidia GT630 - Seagate 8TB HDD - 8GB ram - Windows server 2012 r2

21 hours ago, tjonas005 said:

Hey,

I have fixed it sorry for not answering for a while. For me it was a setting in my powerlines, I have tp-links and they come with some software in wich you can't really do much but in the advanced setting there was a slider for vdsl-mode, this fixed it for me, hopes this helps not sure how you would change this on an other brand. 

By the way i pay for 50mbps down and 8 mbps up, i really wanna switch to something better but then i would have to lay a cable to a distribution box and that is pretty far away, so that cable won't be cheap.

Riiight that's quite interesting! Thanks! Never noticed that there was an application for that (and why should there actually...) Anyway, the speed shown in the application do you understand what it is? I would put my money on the communication speed between the two devices, however, if that is the case I should not be bottlenecked by the powerline. 

tp_link.PNG

22 hours ago, phen3x said:

Riiight that's quite interesting! Thanks! Never noticed that there was an application for that (and why should there actually...) Anyway, the speed shown in the application do you understand what it is? I would put my money on the communication speed between the two devices, however, if that is the case I should not be bottlenecked by the powerline. 

tp_link.PNG

I do think that is the link speed between your powerlines and that does seem about what i'm gettinf when transfering between my nas ad my pc. When i hadn't switched modes i also got about that speed, it was lowered to about 250mbps after i switched

That GUI image is definitely showing you the current link speed between the two PL nodes (the white text under the yellow line).

@tjonas005 do you only have 2 nodes, or do you have more than 2?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That GUI image is definitely showing you the current link speed between the two PL nodes (the white text under the yellow line).

@tjonas005 do you only have 2 nodes, or do you have more than 2?

That's what I get also. How would you explain the loss I get over ethernet though? I'm pretty sure I'm using cat6 ethernet cables and on the router side (before the powerlines) the speed is 150+ Mbps... It is really weird..

welcome to using powerline.

you could try to move the adapter to another outlet on the wall, might make for a better signal.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

@dalekphalm I only have 2 but will probably buy a third one if they work stable for a while.

@phen3x Have you tried plugging something into the the power socket, the manual says that could remove electrical noise and help with speed and stability, or have you checked for any firmware updates.

• 3 weeks later...

So I contacted TP-Link recently writing:

I have a problem with one of the TP-Link TL-PA4010P powerline pair. On the router side, I get a maximum 100Mbps connection, while on the computer side I get an 1 Gbps connection. Both ethernet cables are cat 6 and verified to achieve a gigabit connection.

Attached is a screenshot of the tp-link suite illustrating a 300Mbps connection between the two powerlines. Theoretically a maximum 500Mbps can be achieved with this pair so this is working well and above expectations. However, because of the 100Mbps connection on the router side, I get a significantly lower speed than anticipated.

Please let me know your opinion on the problem. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Their response is a blatant: "Well yeah, the powerline can achieve 500Mbps, but the conversion of the TCP/IP protocol to the PLC protocol is limited to 90Mbps". They also attached links illustrating this (https://www.lesnumeriques.com/adaptateur-cpl/tp-link-tl-pa511-p12324/test.htmlhttps://www.lesnumeriques.com/adaptateur-cpl/tp-link-tl-pa4015pkit-p17339/test.html) that is not their website!! Of course nothing like that can be found anywhere on their website: https://www.tp-link.com/fr-be/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA4015PKIT.html

Un-f*cking-believable. I have asked for a refund or a substitution of the product, still waiting for their answer. This is an outrageous example of false advertisement, and should be made public whatsoever.