I have 3x 8GB DIMMs of DDR4. Should I sell one?

I've found myself with essentially a spare DIMM.

I started with 1x8GB DIMM with the intention to add more later, hopefully after prices drop. So last week, I was casually browsing eBay on my break, saw a new 2x8GB set of the same model RAM, and decided to put in a lowball offer. I don't know how, but nobody else bid over me, so now I have 3x 8GB.

What do you think? Keep the extra DIMM and wait and see if I can pick up another 8GB cheap and run 32GB in quad chad channel, or just sell one? I mostly use the machine for gaming, so there's going to be little advantage to using more than 16GB of RAM, nor do I expect there will be much if any difference if I run all 3 in single channel.

I'm sitting on a spare 8GB DIMM instead of selling it. Sometimes it's nice to have a backup on hand.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Some motherboards support tri channel memory, but I'd probably hang onto the chip in case of emergencies

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'm sitting on a spare 8GB DIMM instead of selling it. Sometimes it's nice to have a backup on hand.

That's a good point, I didn't think of that.

I'd personally sell it, but know that RAM prices are probably not going to fall anytime soon - they may go up even more.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I say sell it, 16gb is comfortable enough for 3 more years.

the price of memory is skyrocketing right now.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Well, I'm probably going to sell one. But in the meantime I threw all 3 into my system to see what happened, and according to the POST message it's actually running 3 (identical) DIMMs in Dual Channel, which is interesting.