Reusing CM ML PRO 240 PUMP AND BLOCK

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
5 minutes ago, KampfkuchenKing said:

I get why I shouldnt use the radiator, it is maybe of aluminum, mixed metals on so forth. But why should I not use the pump/block? If the pump is at the highest point of the loop, the strength shouldnt be a problem right? And does the exposure at mixed metals while being used in an aio compremise the cooper cpu block, eventho it is cleaned with distilled water and afterwards used with a pure copper radiator?

Position of the pump is irrelevant since if it is in a high point, it will have to push the liquid back into itself at a later point. If you think about it logically if its in a low point, it will push hard to go up, but then it will be easy on the way back, and vice versa, no difference. These CPU block pumps are not designed to handle more than a block and a rad so I would'nt personally.

AS for compromise vs corrosion, in theory it should be fine if cleaned well.  But given the absence of fittings I would also be concenred about getting a leak-free system.

I just had my Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 leak. Fortunatly I have a Thermaltake Core P3 so it didnt affect any other components,

but still im pissed about it. I could determine the leak, it was definetly the radiator. I didnt have any warranty so I cut the tubes.

Now I have the Pump/Block left over and I wondered if I could maybe start a custom loop with it. My questions are:

- Is the pump strong enough?

- Should I install a reservoir, or just a radiator, like the original loop had? 

Id really appreciate some help here, Im new on the topic and so really, if it doesnt work out, I do not loose a lot,

I would have to buy a new cooler anyways. 

Thanks!

Find a sacrificial PC and try it, I'd love to see that.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 minutes ago, KampfkuchenKing said:

I just had my Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 leak. Fortunatly I have a Thermaltake Core P3 so it didnt affect any other components,

but still im pissed about it. I could determine the leak, it was definetly the radiator. I didnt have any warranty so I cut the tubes.

Now I have the Pump/Block left over and I wondered if I could maybe start a custom loop with it. My questions are:

- Is the pump strong enough?

- Should I install a reservoir, or just a radiator, like the original loop had? 

Id really appreciate some help here, Im new on the topic and so really, if it doesnt work out, I do not loose a lot,

I would have to buy a new cooler anyways. 

Thanks!

They are aluminium radiators, so no you dont want to put it in a cuystom loop. The pump is not very strong either, and has been exposed in a mixed metal environment so I would not include it either.

On 22.1.2018 at 8:20 PM, For Science! said:

They are aluminium radiators, so no you dont want to put it in a cuystom loop. The pump is not very strong either, and has been exposed in a mixed metal environment so I would not include it either.

I get why I shouldnt use the radiator, it is maybe of aluminum, mixed metals on so forth. But why should I not use the pump/block? If the pump is at the highest point of the loop, the strength shouldnt be a problem right? And does the exposure at mixed metals while being used in an aio compremise the cooper cpu block, eventho it is cleaned with distilled water and afterwards used with a pure copper radiator?

5 minutes ago, KampfkuchenKing said:

Position of the pump is irrelevant since if it is in a high point, it will have to push the liquid back into itself at a later point. If you think about it logically if its in a low point, it will push hard to go up, but then it will be easy on the way back, and vice versa, no difference. These CPU block pumps are not designed to handle more than a block and a rad so I would'nt personally.

AS for compromise vs corrosion, in theory it should be fine if cleaned well.  But given the absence of fittings I would also be concenred about getting a leak-free system.

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Well thank you very much for your help. I still have a Hyper 212 Evo lying around, Ill slap that on and think about just building a proppe loop.

Something else to think about,How many times you see online a aio pump has died ?If i remember right they all use pretty much the same pump.Only time i have seen a d5 or ddc pump died is user error installing it and letting it run dry when filling up the loop first time.The custom loop parts are built better and will last longer to me.We have members who have ran the same loop for 6 years plus with just the normal up keep and cleaning with zero problems.