The Point of G-SYNC?

TheRuke

WoGnsFp.png

Is G-SYNC more aimed to new gamers who are trying to get stable frames/no tearing? Because I'm fine with locking my frames at 60...

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

G-Sync doesn't lock your framerate, but eliminates tearing.

If you lock your framerate you eliminate tearing...

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

he says that you have your full FPS without the tearing

but locking is imo a better sollution if you get 60 FPS+ all the time

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I just want to see it in person. With V-sync and a gpu that can maintain framerates > 60fps, stuttering does not really bother me on a 60hz monitor.

I think price will be the main obstacle. I won't pay $400 for a 1080p TN panel with a high refresh rate if I can get a $150 IPS 1080p panel. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Well you have gotta find a balance and compremise somewhere don't you.

Well lets just say this read a review. Jk. http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/g-sync/technology

G-Sync is now incomparison to anything else an advantage for Nvidia supported graphics cards and potential collaborative line with Philips, Asus, BenQ.

It allows easier transition from high frames of a constant 70FPS to when it drop to around 25FPS.

It eliminates Tearing, Stuttering and input lag.

Those who purchase a monitor with the highest refresh rate will have a better option when it comes to playing more intensive and graphically speaking parts of a game (campaign or online)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

When this technology has surpassed full 1080p which it should have been released at 2.5K resolution with maybe the TN panel at the unveiling. It'll become widely used when officially launched and the 12months to come after that. Hopefully IPS/PLS/VA will also be a optional choice of panels.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

G-Sync : "GTFO tearing"

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

he says that you have your full FPS without the tearing

but locking is imo a better sollution if you get 60 FPS+ all the time

Yeah locking is just better all around because I'd like something stable as opposed to having large fluxes between 120FPS and 60FPS.

G-Sync : "GTFO tearing"

Nvidia: "GTFO AMD we're not sharing anything!"

Yeah locking is just better all around because I'd like something stable as opposed to having large fluxes between 120FPS and 60FPS.

I wonder if AMD will come up with something like R-Sync...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

AMD: 'here nvidia if you'd like to use mantle, its open source'

NVIDIA: 'we are to proud to do that'

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I wonder if AMD will come up with something like R-Sync...

AMD: we uhm, found the name, by umh, looking, umh at V-sync , and umh other companies naming shemes,'

Torvalds in the new Linux Kernel -> GTFO Nvidia .D +50& AMD +0% Nvidia, yay SteamOS ^^

On Topic:

G.Synch is a gimmick.

Linus is fangirling out in his video. It's gross, unprofessional and sad. He's probably chasing his wife and his employee with a roll of tape and the G.Synch module as we speak.

G.Synch will go away as quickly as 3D did.

Linus' prediction that G.Synch will be everywhere from TVs to Smartphones to what ever is not only uneducated but simply wrong. The general computer user has no need for G.Synch. And therefore no company is going to mass produce G.Synch TVs, Phones and Monitors as neither the consumer nor they themselves are eager to pay Nvidia fees.

Might be a fun technology, but Linus really overexagerates. Like hard.

Edit:

Slick's reaction says it all: "Ya... less tearing in that one room and.... ... ... "

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Torvalds in the new Linux Kernel -> GTFO Nvidia .D +50& AMD +0% Nvidia, yay SteamOS ^^

On Topic:

G.Synch is a gimmick.

Linus is fangirling out in his video. It's gross, unprofessional and sad. He's probably chasing his wife and his employee with a roll of tape and the G.Synch module as we speak.

Linus' prediction that G.Synch will be everywhere from TVs to Smartphones to what ever is not only uneducated but simply wrong. The general computer user has no need for G.Synch. And therefore no company is going to mass produce G.Synch TVs, Phones and Monitors as neither the consumer nor they themselves are eager to pay Nvidia fees.

Edit:

Slick's reaction says it all: "Ya... less tearing in that one room and.... ... ... "

Wow lol its G Sync for starters and it is not a gimmick its awesome it might not be in phones or tvs and linus never said it would be he said it could be get your facts straight and if u can honestly play with V-sync with the terrible input lag u deserve a medal! 

Its really funny how people still don't completely understand what this is. lol

On Topic:

G.Synch is a gimmick.

Edit:

THANK YOU @xrex64 doesn't get it.

He says Linus isn't biased on G-SYNC

G-Sync is just a way to get harmony between the frames in the buffer and the monitor.It's just a cleaner way to do things.

G-Sync is just a way to get harmony between the frames in the buffer and the monitor.It's just a cleaner way to do things.

Mantle boosts frames and you can lock it. Problem solved.

What is this tearing you are talking about??? (I know what it's upposed to be, just never noticed anything like that)

Call me blind if you want. 

Also: NVIDIA you high? What have you guys have been smoking? People don't buy monitors anywhere near as often as GPUs. This will be a MASSIVE flop.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

THANK YOU @xrex64 doesn't get it.

He says Linus isn't biased on G-SYNC

I said that before I saw his latest video... So... you can't really say I don't get it considering this is basically reactions to his latest video. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I said that before I saw his latest video... So... you can't really say I don't get it considering this is basically reactions to his latest video. 

He was fangirling really hard at the Nvidia Expo thing where they tried it out for the first time and he had a section about it in the following WAN Show.

What is this tearing you are talking about??? (I know what it's upposed to be, just never noticed anything like that)

Call me blind if you want. 

Also: NVIDIA you high? What have you guys have been smoking? People don't buy monitors anywhere near as often as GPUs. This will be a MASSIVE flop.

Same here. I tried explaining to @xrex64 but he said that you don't notice it until someone points it out to you.

Same here. I tried explaining to @xrex64 but he said that you don't notice it until someone points it out to you.

Then better not ask anyone about it. Ever. No problem. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

That isn't always true. In NFS Rivals, which has a locked frame rate(and I'm using Adaptive V-sync), I get terrible tearing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That isn't always true. In NFS Rivals, which has a locked frame rate(and I'm using Adaptive V-sync), I get terrible tearing.

Using normal v-sync for that game and it should fix the problem.

Locking framerate is useless if it introduces lag. Currently the issues is that the gpu isn't locked but the monitor is locked. You say locking both is the solution? No unlock both fixes the problem. Think of it this way. The goal is to synchronize the gpu and monitor (lock the monitor refresh rate to the gpu). By locking the gpu refresh rate there are only two framerates that you can sync at, 60fps and 30fps. So if your gpu drops below 60 you have to run at 30. Gsync allows you to sync your framerate at any framerate so why would you limit yourself to locking at only two framerates? On top of this vsync adds terrible input lag. This is the issue I can't get over. Linus says there is no lag input with gsync but I am still skeptical about this.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700