Problem with installing Windows 10

Someperson22

I'm having trouble reinstalling Windows 10 after I got a bunch of new hardware. When I try to install it says "Selected disk has an MBR On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" I'm not sure what to do right now I just expected it to work and I'm installing Windows on an SSHD if that means anything.

Can you format the disk? If so, just select the disk, then select delete on the bottom bar. Then click next and proceed with the install

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Well I had it formated I'm just reinstalling it on the same partition it should work but I don't want to delete to much stuff. There was also some other partitions showing up that wasn't there before I'm not sure what they are ether. (I'm trying to install on the blue one) I would delete the other ones but I have a lot of games on the Partition 4: Data.5a64d8b212ebd_IMG_20180120_1641101.thumb.jpg.96381932ef803788da9afdef90ea2106.jpg

The partition you are trying to install on is NOT formatted. 50% of that partition is being already used. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

If you are trying to install it on a drive \ partition  with content on it and you dont want to delete it, I would suggest moving the content off that partition / drive then formatting it.

But the thing is I formated it before to get Windows on it and when I just install Windows again over it the OS will just say that something is there and do you want to wipe it. The problem is it won't let me select it in the first place.

1 hour ago, ZEYDYBOY said:

If you are trying to install it on a drive \ partition  with content on it and you dont want to delete it, I would suggest moving the content off that partition / drive then formatting it.

Ok so I move everything off the drive and delete all partitions and make partitions again then it should work?

4 minutes ago, Someperson22 said:

Ok so I move everything off the drive and delete all partitions and make partitions again then it should work?

Yes it should. From my experience with installing windows, I always had to format the drive completely. I would move all the data I desperately wanted to keep (Photos, songs and valuable stuff) then formatted the drive completely. 

Wait for other people to have a say on this though as I dont trust myself.

1 hour ago, Someperson22 said:

I'm having trouble reinstalling Windows 10 after I got a bunch of new hardware. When I try to install it says "Selected disk has an MBR On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" I'm not sure what to do right now I just expected it to work and I'm installing Windows on an SSHD if that means anything.

Well there you go. Windows just told you the problem.

You switch from legacy BIOS to UEFI mode. The HDD/SSD or whatever you have need to be wiped cleaned, to switch from MBR (legacy) or GPT partitioning table.

Simply pick every single partition of the drive you are about to install Windows, and hit Delete, than create a new partition (Windows will probably add a few mores for boot, and recovery purposes), pick the largest one, and hit Next, to install Windows on it.

Of course, be sure you have all your data backup before doing any of this, as it will be permanently lost once done. No way to recover.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The HDD/SSD or whatever you have need to be wiped cleaned, to switch from MBR (legacy) or GPT partitioning table.

The link to the YouTube video I posted allows you to clean and convert a MBR(legacy) to a GPT partition table.  I went through a bit of the process on my Windows 10 command line.  Does this not meet the stated intended requirements? 

16 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

The link to the YouTube video I posted allows you to clean and convert a MBR(legacy) to a GPT partition table.  I went through a bit of the process on my Windows 10 command line.  Does this not meet the stated intended requirements? 

I have already typed up a tutorial and explain the whole process to convert. But he doesn't have Windows installed (or not working), as he clearly tries to install it.