Viewing Distance

Im planning to get a 40-43 inch 4k tv for a new room but im reading that viewing distance plays a big role 

The room is a bit small so the viewing positions that im sitting are from 1.20m to 1.80m (1.20 when gaming 1.80 when watching movies :D

some say that for that range a 4k aint needed but most of the things i watch and play are 4k so i think the 4k is mandatory....

whats your opinion on this and your personal experience?

My thought it that there is no point in purchasing a lower resolution tv at this point. It might even be hard to find, or of significantly lower quality, and only on the shelf to appeal to the oldies and rebels who think 4K is a scam by the government.

Just buy the 4K version. 

15 hours ago, BishopGM said:

Im planning to get a 40-43 inch 4k tv for a new room but im reading that viewing distance plays a big role 

The room is a bit small so the viewing positions that im sitting are from 1.20m to 1.80m (1.20 when gaming 1.80 when watching movies :D

some say that for that range a 4k aint needed but most of the things i watch and play are 4k so i think the 4k is mandatory....

what can human eye absorb useably for distance to tv,,,

are you going to mostly single player screen or multiplayer local splitscreen to quadscreen??

if single player a 32 to 38" might be best

if multiscreen share then 52 to 65" might be best(but total overkill for single player)

4k is great but still in a being adopted phase with 8k and 10k starting their entrance

plan by what eyeball can use with seating positions and most used screen scenario (singleplayer or 2to4splitscreen) and most used content to be displayed(why get 4k for tv that will be used 90%time by 1080 devices)

7 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

what can human eye absorb useably for distance to tv,,,

are you going to mostly single player screen or multiplayer local splitscreen to quadscreen??

if single player a 32 to 38" might be best

if multiscreen share then 52 to 65" might be best(but total overkill for single player)

4k is great but still in a being adopted phase with 8k and 10k starting their entrance

plan by what eyeball can use with seating positions and most used screen scenario (singleplayer or 2to4splitscreen) and most used content to be displayed(why get 4k for tv that will be used 90%time by 1080 devices)

Mostly singleplayer screen if not commpletely.

As long for the content that it will be showing it will be 4k like all the time cause the games that will be played (from pc to tv) will be in 4k

and all the movies and vids will be 4k too .......

It will be most used when me and my friends hang out as a mirror screen for what is played in the pc or all said above....

thing is that i have a 55 inch tried using this one it was nasty so i thought ok i need a much smaller screen

cant find a 38 so i will prob go for 40-43 .....

ty by the way you gave me some good reference point hadnt think of this as a single or multiplayer screen

16 hours ago, BishopGM said:

Mostly singleplayer screen if not commpletely.

As long for the content that it will be showing it will be 4k like all the time cause the games that will be played (from pc to tv) will be in 4k

and all the movies and vids will be 4k too .......

It will be most used when me and my friends hang out as a mirror screen for what is played in the pc or all said above....

thing is that i have a 55 inch tried using this one it was nasty so i thought ok i need a much smaller screen

cant find a 38 so i will prob go for 40-43 .....

ty by the way you gave me some good reference point hadnt think of this as a single or multiplayer screen

your welcome

its a topic that only has individual best results as everyone sees and interprets light similarly yet differently

i use 32" 1080p tv and feel its little big for gaming(single player and about 6feet(2m)away)but its great for tv shows and movies(dishvip222k and xbox1s ,,, sat goes thru xbox hdmi(allows upscaling))

but im also cheap ass sooo slow adopter of tv display upgrades but was an early adopter to dvi when it appeared.

cut a few pieces of cardboard to diaginal #inches and tape where your going to watch tv from

on card board tape the eye chart for testing eye sight(easy to say this row letters equiv 24pt font this row to 4pt)

this should give nice analogous test and cheap to(print a few pictures and try to match thru print settings the dpi quality of tv as well although 4k gotta be hard to match but 1080p type dpi should be doable)

Just now, bcguru9384 said:

use 32" 1080p tv and feel its little big for gaming

I used to use my 720p Samsung LCD TV for my computer monitor. And yes I gamed on it for a long while. I never thought it was too big. LOL. 

On 1/20/2018 at 6:24 AM, BishopGM said:

Are 4K tvs affordable where you live? If, so then buy one. I think the big thing I would worry about with a TV used for gaming is input lag and maybe refresh rate. Though I use 60Hz monitors and such so refresh rate means less to me. Also, I think when I decide to replace my aging 32" Samsung LCD TV thats 720p btw, I think Ill go 4K. Though I would want to make sure it has an ASTC 3.0 tuner. So I can do OTA broadcast in 4K when they start that up. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I used to use my 720p Samsung LCD TV for my computer monitor. And yes I gamed on it for a long while. I never thought it was too big. LOL. 

Are 4K tvs affordable where you live? If, so then buy one. I think the big thing I would worry about with a TV used for gaming is input lag and maybe refresh rate. Though I use 60Hz monitors and such so refresh rate means less to me. Also, I think when I decide to replace my aging 32" Samsung LCD TV thats 720p btw, I think Ill go 4K. Though I would want to make sure it has an ASTC 3.0 tuner. So I can do OTA broadcast in 4K when they start that up. 

hook your tv to xbox1s and see it will do 1080p

my tv has info box top right says input or tvchan with current 480i/p 720p 1080i/p(although spec as 1080i only)

but since my tv has vga plug i suspect the panel can be placed into dummy mode and xbox/pc can then do all display handling right off gpu 

Just now, bcguru9384 said:

hook your tv to xbox1s and see it will do 1080p

my tv has info box top right says input or tvchan with current 480i/p 720p 1080i/p(although spec as 1080i only)

but since my tv has vga plug i suspect the panel can be placed into dummy mode and xbox/pc can then do all display handling right off gpu 

I dont have an Xbox 1 as Im a PC gamer. Only a Nintendo Switch because GPU prices are too fucking high. In another thread I read that some times depending on the input you use, the resolution and refresh rate could be higher or lower. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I dont have an Xbox 1 as Im a PC gamer. Only a Nintendo Switch because GPU prices are too fucking high. In another thread I read that some times depending on the input you use, the resolution and refresh rate could be higher or lower. 

yup seen that to and im waiting to see that usbdac port get added to tvs and stereo recievers etc

wonder if hdmi dp will adopt into their pin functions

See this article from Crutchfield (there are many articles on this subject, this is just the first I saw with a nice chart):
Most home theater people will recommend similar viewing distances.

So, for 43" 4k a viewing distance of 1.1m to 1.6m is recommended.  Seems like your current viewing distance should be fine.

12 hours ago, Blasteque said:
See this article from Crutchfield (there are many articles on this subject, this is just the first I saw with a nice chart):
Most home theater people will recommend similar viewing distances.

So, for 43" 4k a viewing distance of 1.1m to 1.6m is recommended.  Seems like your current viewing distance should be fine.

yea i searched a ton of these sites and did my maths i just wawnted to see from personal exp what people have to say .....thank you tho !

14 hours ago, BishopGM said:

yea i searched a ton of these sites and did my maths i just wawnted to see from personal exp what people have to say .....thank you tho !

Well, my personal experience is from viewing a 52in "normal" HD plasma screen from 2m.  Based on that experience I wouldn't want to be any further back.  If I use that experience to bias Crutchfield's table, then, anecdotally, I would guess that for 43" 4k you don't want to be any further than 1.5m and a 50" would probably work better for you at that distance. 

Obviously it needs to work within your budget, but ultimately, input from someone who is already using 4k would be preferred....