New budget gaming Laptop - Lenovo Y520 or Y720 - The Right choice?

Howdy folks!

I am about to buy myself a budget gaming Laptop, I will also be using it for studying. My budget sits around 1200 euro or such. - Preferably not much higher than this!

I found these two on sale: Lenovo Y520 and Lenovo Y720

The price for the Y520 is 1208 euro (8999kr) that is of course with 25% DK tax.

The Lenovo Y720 is 1342 euro, also for Danish taxes.

So far I am betting my coins on the Y520 since the other one may break my budget just slightly more plus it only comes with 8GB ram and lesser processor, however a better graphics card.

After talking with a former owner of a Y520 I heard he was very dissatisfied with it. Something about him being unable to reinstall windows on it, on a new hard disk and the right side of where the UBS ports are dying on him.

Along with stories of screen and GPU's dying outright within in a short time of usage. - He said the problems with Y720 was about the same.

However! I would like to hear people's own experience and it could be he was simply insanely unlucky or the company who sold them was to rough about them. But again, I have read tons of reviews and heard stories

about it being a wonderful laptop, however, the story was very vivid so I would like to hear peoples experience on both of the Laptops :)

Here are the links! - I will happily translate if something is not understandable :)

lenovo-legion-y520-15ikbn-i7-7700hq-16gb-ddr4-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-1tb-hdd-gtx1050ti-4gb-15-6-fhd-ips-gamer-baerbar https://www.fcomputer.dk/lenovo-legion-y520-15ikbn-i7-7700h…

lenovo-legion-y720-15ikb-80vr-8gb-core-i5-256gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-gf-gtx1060-6gb-15-6-ips-gamer-baerbar-1 https://www.fcomputer.dk/lenovo-legion-y720-15ikb-80vr-8gb-…

Other alternatives I am open for, however, I would prefer it stay on the path of discussing the two laptops mentioned above since I have used tons of time "sorting" through all of the different types of laptops in this price range.
HOWEVER! If there is a laptop you simply must recommend, do it! ;) 

I would not buy a Lenovo Laptop.

Maybe consider the Dell Inspiron Gaming laptop or the Gigabyte budget gaming laptop (don't remember the model).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would not buy a Lenovo Laptop.

Maybe consider the Dell Inspiron Gaming laptop or the Gigabyte budget gaming laptop (don't remember the model).

Sadly I can only buy the DELL Inspiron Gaming directly from DELL, and I simply have chosen to cut off that brand on my list, due horrible experiences with it.
- Others who sell it either sell old types of it or Alienware.- I tried searching on other pages for it, but it simply only out-dated versions or VERY highI wou priced that are sold. 

The Gigabyte one I haven't seen on any sites.

I would like to know why you wouldn't recommend Lenovo?

3 minutes ago, Greenfeuer said:

Sadly I can only buy the DELL Inspiron Gaming directly from DELL, and I simply have chosen to cut off that brand on my list, due horrible experiences with it.
- Others who sell it either sell old types of it or Alienware.- I tried searching on other pages for it, but it simply only out-dated versions or VERY highI wou priced that are sold. 

The Gigabyte one I haven't seen on any sites.

I would like to know why you wouldn't recommend Lenovo?

Lenovo as a company has put malware/spyware on their PCs in the past with SuperFish.

If you're still having difficulty maybe check Dave 2D's video. But definitely stay away from Lenovo.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Both are good laptops, keep in mind that both of them come with entry level IPS panel. Y720 is built better, longer battery life and VR capable.

Edit: Make sure to check out other good budget gaming laptops too like Acer VX15, Dell 7567/7577, Clevo N850HK1/W650KJ1/W650KK1 (or other models), Acer Nitro 5, HP Omen 15 (late 2017), MSI GE

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lenovo as a company has put malware/spyware on their PCs in the past with SuperFish.

If you're still having difficulty maybe check Dave 2D's video. But definitely stay away from Lenovo.

Not sure what all that is about, but sounds Fishy, no pun intended. 

Dave 2D's video is great, I have watched most of those within my price ranged. He recommends the Lenovo Y520 and Y720, so yeah. 

9 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Both are good laptops, keep in mind that both of them come with entry level IPS panel. Y720 is built better, longer battery life and VR capable.

Edit: Make sure to check out other good budget gaming laptops too like Acer VX15, Dell 7567/7577, Clevo N850HK1/W650KJ1/W650KK1 (or other models), Acer Nitro 5, HP Omen 15 (late 2017), MSI GE

Roger dodger! A friend of mine got Acer Nitro 5 and was happy with it, sadly the sale ended before I got around to looking for a new laptop "wasn't anything wrong with my laptop until then".

Dell - Sadly nope.

Acer version I am checking out, sadly 1-year warranty on a laptop for me is really a no-go in my book. Same with DELL - HOWEVER! I am checking Acer out, so far Lenovo seems to the best priced / best fit for my needs. - Still an ongoing project! - 

HP I haven't been able to spot the OMEN version yet. Clevo neither.  

MSI GE seems very expensive / seems to be running hot for a lot of people. Read a few feedbacks from people buying it, it is slightly above my price range too. - 

I like to have my Laptop staying cool, I really dislike those who runs too hot, I got an Asus laptop atm, an old model, it runs quite hot and it kinda annoys me, and it kills the lifespan.

Again! That is customer reviews and such, haven't checked deeply into yet, but those I found was even more expensive then Y720 which I consider already pricey.  - Any experience with MSI GE, I happily check out but breaking my budget beyond measure needs a SERIOUS upgrade from Lenovo Y520/Y720. 

12 minutes ago, Greenfeuer said:

Lenovo seems to the best priced / best fit for my needs

If their prices are competitive then go for either Y520 or Y720 (since their prices can be quite low in some places). The performance jump from 1050TI to 1060 is significant so the extra money for Y720 may be worth it.

Side note: If you're interested in Y520, you can check out my review (feel free to ask questions about it)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

ore ram and bigger processor + SSD does tempt me more, sense of what I heard the difference between 1050ti to 1060 ain't that much.- If the upgrade was with 1060 as well while keeping the rest of the other things, I was so game for it :) - But you may be right about the difference of the two GPU's. 

2 minutes ago, Greenfeuer said:

ore ram and bigger processor + SSD does tempt me more, sense of what I heard the difference between 1050ti to 1060 ain't that much.- If the upgrade was with 1060 as well while keeping the rest of the other things, I was so game for it :) - But you may be right about the difference of the two GPU's. 

For gaming, 7300HQ and 7700HQ don't differ much (depends on games). 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD is plenty for normal users. 1060 mobile is about 40% faster than 1050TI mobile (again, depends on games too)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I am gonna use it for studying as well, and I do a lot of multitasking. Many newer games would bottleneck at 8 RAM or at least many will soon. - I could upgrade, there is a version not on sale that has it all. But that is a lot more expensive.

https://www.komplett.dk/product/953253/gaming/gaming-pc/baerbar/lenovo-legion-y720-156-full-hd-mat# - Can be found here. - 402 EU more than the Y520 -... Quite the difference in price there.

1 hour ago, Greenfeuer said:

snip

You decide. It depends on what games you play, what video settings you prefer to play at and how often you play games. Also, some sources stated that you will void warranty if you open up the laptop and do upgrades in Y720.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Then Y520 sounds more appealing unless I see another Y720 version on sale who doesn't cost about 402 EU more. 

I am gonna play Warhammer Total war, Vermintide 1+2, Overwatch, Divinity 2, WoW, Z Fighters, eerhh-.. The list goes on! I do have a gaming PC already, this is mainly to use for LAN/studies/and gaming when I am not around it. - I do that quite a lot, all of those, so it is really nice to be able to game those games.

Half of the time I probably end up gaming on this aswell. - The quality and lifespan of it is really important, and a good warranty. - I m buying extra warranty from the place, that lasts 4 years even if I drop it or so by mistake. 

Howdy folks!

I am currently trying to choose between Y520 and Y720.  - They are both on sale where I live, and the price difference is 268 euro. 

I will be using the computer to play Warhammer Total War 1+2 - Vermintide 1+2 - Overwatch - Divinity - And much more! 

I will be using the laptop for studying as well and is meant to stay in this price range. - However! Please focus on these two laptops, I have already checked out alternatives and narrowed it down to these two :)

The difference between them spec wise is that Y720 has a 1060 GTX - However, I think the built quality + cooling + sounds system mind be a bit better on the Y720 :) 

https://www.komplett.dk/product/953252/gaming/gaming-pc/baerbar/lenovo-legion-y520-156-full-hd-mat#

https://www.komplett.dk/product/953253/gaming/gaming-pc/baerbar/lenovo-legion-y720-156-full-hd-mat#

10 minutes ago, Greenfeuer said:

Well if you have the money to buy the one with 1060... go get it.. if not, go get the Y520. Simple as that ^^

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

41 minutes ago, Greenfeuer said:

Howdy folks!

I am currently trying to choose between Y520 and Y720.  - They are both on sale where I live, and the price difference is 268 euro. 

I will be using the computer to play Warhammer Total War 1+2 - Vermintide 1+2 - Overwatch - Divinity - And much more! 

I will be using the laptop for studying as well and is meant to stay in this price range. - However! Please focus on these two laptops, I have already checked out alternatives and narrowed it down to these two :)

The difference between them spec wise is that Y720 has a 1060 GTX - However, I think the built quality + cooling + sounds system mind be a bit better on the Y720 :) 

https://www.komplett.dk/product/953252/gaming/gaming-pc/baerbar/lenovo-legion-y520-156-full-hd-mat#

https://www.komplett.dk/product/953253/gaming/gaming-pc/baerbar/lenovo-legion-y720-156-full-hd-mat#

I'd go for the Y720.

Pretty much everything is explained here: 

Also pls don't repost

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I reposted since the topic was also on other Laptops and the Y720 wasn't on sale at that time, so the price difference was way more off the grid. Normally I wouldn't repost else :)

WHY NOT CLEVO WITH GTX1060 AND I7 7700 DESKTOP PROCCESSOR WHICH IS BETTER THAN MOBILE PROCCESSORE:

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-clevo-n950kp6-custom-built-gaming-desktop-replacement-laptop.html

YOU MAY SEE OTHER LAPTOPS BELOW 1300USD HERE TOO(USE PRICE FILTER:ENTER) 

https://www.avadirect.com/custom-gaming-laptops

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118-96-98.html#!/price=1030.25%2C1322.00&no_cache=true

but the most powerful one is clevo p775tm which use 8th gen intel cpu desktop(cpu&ram&gpu&hard upgradable) ,unfortunately no usa/eu store offer the i5 version(maybe a policy from clevo to help selling the previous version laptops ) which is in the same price as 7th gen prices.

any way this link is giving around 1300USD ,from china ; you may use taobao agent like superbuy.com or cssbuy.com to buy such powerful new desktop(version i5 8400 (which is equal to 7700k and in some benchmarks even better) gtx 1060) ) from china taobao...its a beast which you can then buy/insert 8700k or gtx 1080 too.the desktop series

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?&id=563412697848

if graphic is more important,GTX1070 is in model : Z8-KP7S2 , buy from below link (after checking estimation) 1300USD : 

https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fitem.taobao.com%2Fitem.htm%3Fspm%3D2013.1.20141001.3.8a139a5hz9Avg%26id%3D549165033382

cpu 8th gen intel vs 7700hq.jpg

cpu 8th 7th gen.png