CES 2018, your favourite things?

Haven't seen a general CES discussion thread for this yet, so thought why not start one. With CES over for another year & most videos & articles have now stopped flowing from the publications. I figured why not have a discussion about what our favourite tech from this years show was! So let's get to it!

For me, I really liked Vivo's under the screen fingerprint reader. I'm hoping we'll start to see it in the near future on the mainstream Androids & hopefully Apple can get their act together & get something like that on a future iPhone, I wouldn't even say next year but hopefully by 2020. Also, as lame as it sounds, I am really excited for the wireless K63 from Corsair, if only it came with RGB & Cherry MX Blues though. I still am probably going to buy it, as I am sick of all the cables across my desk & no real solution to route them neatly.

Notable mentions for me:

-LG's rollable OLED TV, that was awesome & I liked how you could use it at certain heights for different aspect ratios etc. A shame it would be way out of my price range though.

-Silverstone Mini-STX RVZ04 even though it will never come to market as it seems like Mini-STX is about almost dead.

-@CableMod's pro cables, I wasn't sure about them when seeing the option on the website when creating custom length cables, but after seeing @bitwit's video, i'm sold, they look amazing.

-Toshiba RC100 M.2 NVME SSD, being only 42mm long is awesome. Saying that I'm still amazed both of my M.2 SSD's are the size of my name badges for work..

-mATX TR4, I love small formfactor, so seeing something as massive as a Threadripper CPU on a Micro ATX board is fascinating to me. It would be cool to see an ITX variant, but I have a feeling that will never happen due to the sheer size of the CPU.

I've probably forgotten about some neat stuff, but that mostly sums it up for me. What about the rest of you?

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

New h500p was cool

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

-@CableMod's pro cables, I wasn't sure about them when seeing the option on the website when creating custom length cables, but after seeing @bitwit's video, i'm sold, they look amazing.

This! I'm so glad Kyle did that video. And the alternate H500whatever.

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

This! I'm so glad Kyle did that video. And the alternate H500whatever.

Yeah, even though he was sponsored by CableMod for it, I now see the value in the extra $$ for it & I really like the look it gives the cables.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I'm really excited for those Slidenjoy monitors for laptops. I sometimes do on-site photo and video editing for graduations. weddings, etc. and having to lug around a big ass monitor and extension wires is really annoying. And imagine pulling those babies out during the daily scrum, I'd be the coolest monkey in the playground.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

JJJJJJIIIIIIIBBBBBBBOOOOOOO

/s

I like VIVO and AMD most

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I agree with Vivo's In-screen fingerprint scanner. Also the fact the screen was evidently 6.4'' was something I found interesting. The biggest on market at the moment is 6.2''-6.3'' ain't it? Already nudging further ahead and 2018 has barely started, lol. My sister said she'd like to see like a 7.0'' phone, so maybe that's not much more than a year or so away at this rate?

Saw someone in the comments say that OnePlus/Vivo are owned by the same company and the OnePlus 6 will likely adopt the in-screen scanner. I'm actually looking into getting a OnePlus 5 but maybe I'll ride it out just a little longer and look into a OnePlus 6, assuming it comes to be. Do they follow the same release cycle every year? The OnePlus 5 was June and the 5T was like October(?), so I'm guessing the Summer/Fall might be the same time to look this year? My favorite though was the annoucement for Ryzen / Threadripper 2.

After that, I liked Be Quiet's Dark Rock 4 / Pro 4 coolers they showed off with the improved installation. I might go for it for my build later this year. My main thing is just silence and hopefully it delivers.

I also found the BFGD displays from everyone pretty interesting. I think I've gotten kinda spoiled with my PC Monitor so I think I actually probably would buy such a display in place of a standard TV in the future. VA doesn't sound like it's all that though from what people keep saying in the comments, so hopefully we'll see IPS or maybe even the upcoming Micro LED. Just not VA...

Corsair's Wireless Keyboard was also nice. At least in the sense of starting to see more wireless mechanical keyboards. I personally don't like Corsair's keyboard designs though so their not for me. I would like their exclusive Cherry MX Silent Red switches though... I'm interested in reds and I'd like a quieter typing experience as well. Ignoring that though, I'm looking into getting a Logitech G613 next month. I also liked Cooler Master's 800 series keyboard with detachable Type-C. I'd probably get a keyboard from them if it comes out wireless which I think was a mentioned possibility. (They were looking into Bluetooth 5.0?) Also the Genovation KB170L with it's amass of Macro keys was quite something, lol. Hope we get to see a review later on it from Taran.

Didn't see this covered but SanDisk's 1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive is something I also found kinda neat. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/9/16867044/sandisk-prototype-1tb-usb-c-flash-drive-worlds-smallest-ces-2018 I don't need that much external storage but if I could get a smaller flash drive in that form factor with USB Type-C, High Speeds + USB 3.1 Gen 2, that'd be sweet. I think I might just get a m.2 nvme enclosure/buy a small m.2 nvme drive though if possible. Close enough... lol.

The rest of the stuff didn't really catch my interest. Although I guess it was interesting to see a motherboard from NZXT. Don't think I'd bite though, I don't want to be tied down by choosing NZXT and getting stuck with NZXT CAM. Same goes for Corsair or whomever else that ties you down to them and their software for RGB Sync.

It was nice seeing Cooler Master rectify their H500P though :P Honorable mention for listening to the fans. Also another to the low-profile cherry mx switches. I used the Logitech K360 Keyboard awhile back and I rather liked it. I might pick up a low profile mechanical keybaord down the line as a upgrade/replacement, albeit I'd wait on wireless variants since I want for a clean desk setup.

The Big Fucking Gaming Displays. I play on the couch and my family has never plugged a TV tuner into the the display. Considering we only buy a new TV every 7+ years, we can splurge and I think these are finally it.

Nothing was particularly surprising or interesting to me except those spinning fan displays. 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it. :P

I really liked the DEEPCOOL Quadstellar limited edition, but there aren't many videos about it.

The things i liked the most were:

• Samsung "The Wall";
  • Sennheiser HD 820;
  • Asus PQ22UC, the OLED monitor under 1000$;
  • Walletcard idea.

I also enjoyed seeing the new XPS 15 2-in-1 and the updated XPS 13. New TVs and projectors are also really nice announcements for me to watch unfold.

The in-display fingerprint scanner was really neat, of course, and can't wait to see what that means to future mobile devices.

MSI's RGB monitor.

Zotac's 2.5" SSD sized PC

SE Quadstellar

The rest was pretty boring. Hell, the things I liked were pretty boring. "Innovation" in tech has become very boring.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

"Innovation" in tech has become very boring.

yup. not every year we get to see the "next big thing". 

for me I didn't even watch most of the coverage of CES 2018. It has just become a marketing/advertising show. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

19 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

yup. not every year we get to see the "next big thing". 

for me I didn't even watch most of the coverage of CES 2018. It has just become a marketing/advertising show. 

Honestly, I have this feeling being what it is, CES has always been about the marketing, people are sponsored by a brand or brands to attend, they talk about said brands, it's all advertising really when you look at it.

The only stuff that I heard about that came out of CES that got me interested was the HTC Vive stuff.

I didnt see anyone cover a 21:9 1440p 120+hrz monitor which is what I am waiting for.

I dont really get why people are interested in a lot of things that Linus and so many other people covered at CES. My laptop is thin enough and I cerently dont want or need it to have 3 screens. I dont want my chair to have lights in it and I dont care to have extra lights on my monitor, I would rather give the lights back and save some money on the monitor. I dont need my case to have glass. While I think water cooling looks nice but I dont care to water cool my PC. I dont want wireless peripherals and especially dont want a wireless peripheral with a battery life of 5 hours. I saw on Awesome Hardware stream last night "Jelly fish ram", what a stupid product that is on so many levels and Paul seemed to think it was interesting for some reason. I am just very confused at this point.

the most impressive thing to me is the new 8th gen cpu noteboooks and the cpu/gpu duo w/ vega M in the xps 2 n 1, i made a dicussion on the matter, i'm actually interested in these new ultralight books

FaceID makes the screen TouchID superfluous on an iPhone. I actually also prefer a solid button 

my favourite thing at CES had to be the Vega M and Intel combo. First time it made me think about switching to a NUC.