Seeking help with upgrading a poor laptop

Hello, I am seeking a decent laptop setup with a 300$ max budget. I know little to nothing about pc's and what I can do to improve one, so here is what I am looking for.

In general, I want to load games with around medium/high graphics settings. Nothing too powerful is needed, but I hope a setup I can afford can last me a few years until it will be too outdated to run new AAA titles. Games I play are mainly Overwatch, CS:GO, and Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster isnt much of a problem for me, but it could be better.

I already have 8GB RAM, with 7.9 usable, so I believe I will be fine there. If someone can find anything that offers 12 or 16 GB, that will be much appreciated.

According to friends and forums, my graphics card is awful, and I can understand that. The Graphics Card is the Intel (R) HD Graphics 520 , and I am looking for a much better one. I have found this one on newegg, which seems like a great offer: https://goo.gl/niMKXg (If anyone has one of these or knows of something better with a great price range, please notify me about this)

My processor I am not aware of if it is in need of an upgrade. The processor I have now is an Intel i3-6100 running at 2.3GHz . Should I look into i5's or i7's? (My processor I just realized is a dual core, so I am wondering if it does or not. I have went into settings and have enabled all of them already, in case anyone was wondering.)

I'm not sure if this does concern anyone, but I run Windows 10 with DirectX 12. My operating system is Lenovo and screen resolution is 1366x768.

Another thing that has recently surfaced as a problem for me is my storage, as I only have about 13 GB left. What should I do about that.

I would just like to remind people reading again that I have little knowledge about what I can do with this, and that I am trying to fit this all in a LAPTOP, but anyways, I hope that there are a few people out there who can help me out here.

Edited by somepeasantonline
Editing this because of replies

Just a few things:

1-  Your processor is not a quadcore, it only has 2 cores, and it shows as 4 logical processors because of hyper threading.

2- That gforce gt 1030 is NOT a great offer.  And it can not be used with a laptop anyway.

3- Your operating system is not lenovo, is win 10.

FInally, I don't think there is any way to get a laptop that can play AAA games at medium/high settings for $300.  Unless you find a used laptop that someone is selling for cheap.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

4 minutes ago, somepeasantonline said:

(My processor I just realized is a QUAD CORE, so I am wondering if it does or not. I have went into settings and have enabled all of them already, in case anyone was wondering.)

Its a dual core with hyperthreading

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Well, simply put, you can't really upgrade a laptop besides upgrading the RAM and the storage. You could build a decent gaming rig out of used parts with that budget if you wanted.

CPU: AMD FX 4170 @ 4.7ghz Motherboard: Asus M5A97-R2.0 RAM: 11GB DDR3-1600 GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB Reference Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout Storage: 1x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500gb Hitachi 7200RPM  PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Display: Dell U2410 (1920x1200 @ 60hz, 24") Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, 3x 140mm Cooler Master fan Keyboard: Lenovo OEM keyboard (membrane) Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus Sound: Sound Blaster xFi sound card & Marley Good Vibrations headphones Operating System: Windows 10 1809

It is not usually possible (well I guess almost anything is *possible* but it is certainly not easy) to upgrade laptops like you can many desktops.  For example the graphics card you have linked to is a desktop card and is unlikely to fit into a laptop.

Thank you guys for replying to my thread this early! I will try to constantly update the post based off of feedback to help me with this. I am able to have about a 1k budget which I could use on either upgrading this or building another PC.

39 minutes ago, somepeasantonline said:

Hello, I am seeking a decent laptop setup with a 300$ max budget. I know little to nothing about pc's and what I can do to improve one, so here is what I am looking for.

In general, I want to load games with around medium/high graphics settings. Nothing too powerful is needed, but I hope a setup I can afford can last me a few years until it will be too outdated to run new AAA titles. Games I play are mainly Overwatch, CS:GO, and Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster isnt much of a problem for me, but it could be better.

I already have 8GB RAM, with 7.9 usable, so I believe I will be fine there. If someone can find anything that offers 12 or 16 GB, that will be much appreciated.

According to friends and forums, my graphics card is awful, and I can understand that. The Graphics Card is the Intel (R) HD Graphics 520 , and I am looking for a much better one. I have found this one on newegg, which seems like a great offer: https://goo.gl/niMKXg (If anyone has one of these or knows of something better with a great price range, please notify me about this)

My processor I am not aware of if it is in need of an upgrade. The processor I have now is an Intel i3-6100 running at 2.3GHz . Should I look into i5's or i7's? (My processor I just realized is a dual core, so I am wondering if it does or not. I have went into settings and have enabled all of them already, in case anyone was wondering.)

I'm not sure if this does concern anyone, but I run Windows 10 with DirectX 12. My operating system is Lenovo and screen resolution is 1366x768.

Another thing that has recently surfaced as a problem for me is my storage, as I only have about 13 GB left. What should I do about that.

I would just like to remind people reading again that I have little knowledge about what I can do with this, and that I am trying to fit this all in a LAPTOP, but anyways, I hope that there are a few people out there who can help me out here.

There is some 4 GB DDR3 1600MHz laptop ram going on CeX for 7$.... go grab it quick before all stores close out 

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

18 minutes ago, somepeasantonline said:

Thank you guys for replying to my thread this early! I will try to constantly update the post based off of feedback to help me with this. I am able to have about a 1k budget which I could use on either upgrading this or building another PC.

I'd say build a PC with used components in CeX US (if ur in the US) cause the stores are closing but there are supa ultra fire hot deals because it is closing

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

On 1/12/2018 at 9:46 PM, somepeasantonline said:

build a pc (go for used parts if possible)

CPU: AMD FX 4170 @ 4.7ghz Motherboard: Asus M5A97-R2.0 RAM: 11GB DDR3-1600 GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 780ti 3GB Reference Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout Storage: 1x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 1x 500gb Hitachi 7200RPM  PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Display: Dell U2410 (1920x1200 @ 60hz, 24") Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, 3x 140mm Cooler Master fan Keyboard: Lenovo OEM keyboard (membrane) Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus Sound: Sound Blaster xFi sound card & Marley Good Vibrations headphones Operating System: Windows 10 1809