Planning Help for $2,000 Creative Workstation Build for Blender

Situation Overview

I currently own a Lenovo Y410P "Gaming" Laptop and I am considering up grading to a desktop workstation or to a used Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16". My laptop can run blender with it's current specs. (GeForce GT 755M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor 6M Cache 4 Cores and 8 Threads, up to 3.40 GHz, 8GB of DDR3L SDRAM w/ 1600 MHz memory speeds, but I am kind of tired of it. I could just get new peripherals like a mouse, key board, and new monitor. My current mouse is the Logitech G300S, my laptop keyboard has the "W" cap broken off, and the monitor of the y410p is 1600 x 900 and has terrible viewing angles and color accuracy. My question is should I just upgrade completely or hold on to my laptop and get new peripherals or just buy a prebuilt system?

Programs I would like to use...

• Blender 2.8 (3D Modeling Program, the most computer intense program of the three.)
  • Krita (Open source Photoshop clone)
  • OpenToonz (2D Animation Program)

My Main Computer Criteria Are...

• Color Accurate Monitor with at least a 1080 x 1920 resolution for 3D model creation, photo editing, and digital painting.
  • Quality Mechanical Keyboard and Mouse Combo. (NO RGB)

Blender "Optimal" Production Grade Hardware

• 64-bit eight core CPU
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Two full HD displays with 24 bit color
  • Three button mouse and graphics tablet
  • Dual OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics cards with 4 GB RAM

I don't think I will be able hit the "Optimal Hardware" for blender with my budget once you add in peripherals, but I would like to hit somewhere in the middle range of performance between "Optimal" and my current computer. I feel like I should try to shoot for...

Realistic Computer Stats

• 64-bit six core CPU
  • 16 GB RAM (or maybe 8GB RAM)
  • One full HD display with 24 bit color
  • Three button mouse and graphics tablet
  • One OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics cards with 4 GB RAM

Questions

My question is which CPU & GPU manufactures are best for the programs I want to run. What advantages are there in the Intel CPU ecosystem as opposed to the AMD Ryzen ecosystem? (Ex: Intel CPU's support Thunderbolt) What advantages are there in the NVidia GPU ecosystem as opposed to the AMD Vega ecosystem? (Ex: NVidia G-Sync)

If you have any questions for me such as needing more information about my current setup or desired PC workstation qualities feel free to ask away.

Thank you for your time.

- LXXVII Fold

P.S.

DEW U NO DE WAY? (to build a $2,000 Blender focused PC workstation?)

I would say your best option would be to build a system to upgrade from your laptop. You could definitely get very close to the optimal Blender hardware for $2,000. I would suggest going with the following:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700: 8-Core (I would just wait for Ryzen 2 at this point before building, though.)

RAM: 16GB (You may want to upgrade to 32GB in the future)

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (Or wait for Volta)

A system with those specs would exceed the optimal specs listed.

I have a Monoprice graphics tablet that's really good and is a lot more affordable than a Wacom Cintiq and almost just as good.

I've always been a fan of Samsung and LG monitors, so you can find some great color correct monitors at 1080p and higher resolution. ViewSonic has some very affordable monitors that are also very good you could look into.

Hello! It's me just passing through :) 

If you want to stick to a laptop the ROG stric GL727C might be the one to go for. There is problems with it but it is the first laptop with 8 cores and it's for use cases like this as well as gaming

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

2 minutes ago, Aerdian said:

I would say your best option would be to build a system to upgrade from your laptop. You could definitely get very close to the optimal Blender hardware for $2,000. I would suggest going with the following:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700: 8-Core (I would just wait for Ryzen 2 at this point before building, though.)

RAM: 16GB (You may want to upgrade to 32GB in the future)

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (Or wait for Volta)

A system with those specs would exceed the optimal specs listed.

I have a Monoprice graphics tablet that's really good and is a lot more affordable than a Wacom Cintiq and almost just as good.

I've always been a fan of Samsung and LG monitors, so you can find some great color correct monitors at 1080p and higher resolution. ViewSonic has some very affordable monitors that are also very good you could look into.

Thank you Aerdian! I think your suggestion to wait for Ryzen 2 and Volta is a wise one.

i'd honestly go full out on the CPU instead of GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z7nwwV

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

13 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tCCtm8

hey you were talking about thunderbolt which is not used much on pc  you could buy a PCI expansion card like this one

Thunderbolt is not a must for me, but it seems like such an amazing cable that it would be nice to have. Thanks for the PC part picker link!

40 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

If you want to stick to a laptop the ROG stric GL727C might be the one to go for. There is problems with it but it is the first laptop with 8 cores and it's for use cases like this as well as gaming

https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

Thanks for the suggestion! Portability is not a big deal for me because after owning my laptop for a couple of years now I realized that I don't take it anywhere. lol