What is a good used brand/version of GTX 980ti to look out for?

Grimfrost769

I am considering grabbing a GTX 980ti until prices stabilize for 1000 series before volta. What are some good GTX980 ti  6gb versions to look for in the used market?

Storm Enforcer 2.0

CPU: I7 Intel 8700k / GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ / Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-H Gaming / Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200/ Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB + WD Blue 1TB / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G3 / Cooling:  Noctua NH‑D15S / Case: Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced

The ones that still work :)

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

Just now, EG! said:

The ones that still work :)

Ok, I mean obviously one that works...

Storm Enforcer 2.0

CPU: I7 Intel 8700k / GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ / Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-H Gaming / Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200/ Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB + WD Blue 1TB / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G3 / Cooling:  Noctua NH‑D15S / Case: Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced

I even look for used market, they almost the same price as  used 1070 around $500-600

because it still great for mining, it yields about same as 1070

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

I even look for used market, they almost the same price as  used 1070 around $500-600

because it still great for mining, it yields about same as 1070

I understand the performance numbers. But, I am looking for recommendations are well reputed versions of the card.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

Just now, Grimfrost769 said:

I understand the performance numbers. But, I am looking for recommendations are well reputed versions of the card.

My point is, you are already lucky if you can even get anything at all at the lowest $500 price mark.

5 minutes ago, Grimfrost769 said:

ASUS, EVGA maybe even Gigabyte.

Nvidia reference model is pretty solid, although personally wouldn't go near it. Only if it was on water though.

Some of those hybrid ones too.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

My point is, you are already lucky if you can even get anything at all at the lowest $500 price mark.

I appreciate the view point and your response. I don't want to be a dick But, that does not really address my original question of actual models to look for.

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

ASUS, EVGA maybe even Gigabyte.

Nvidia reference model is pretty solid, although personally wouldn't go near it. Only if it was on water though.

Some of those hybrid ones too.

Do you have any models in mind? I am searching the used market and finding mostly EVGA cards. The SC, the SC+ etc etc. I was out of gaming the entire time during that release. I don't have much info on what did well in the previous gen.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

4 minutes ago, Grimfrost769 said:

I am searching the used market and finding mostly EVGA cards. The SC, the SC+ etc etc. I was out of gaming the entire time during that release. I don't have much info on what did well in the previous gen.

EVGA makes pretty good cards. The MSI 980Ti Lightning was also pretty good.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

EVGA makes pretty good cards. The MSI 980Ti Lightning was also pretty good.

Yes they do. Always have. From what I have seen there are 3 different versions of the EVGA cards that seem to be selling well in the used market.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

2 hours ago, Grimfrost769 said:

I appreciate the view point and your response. I don't want to be a dick But, that does not really address my original question of actual models to look for.

Do you have any models in mind? I am searching the used market and finding mostly EVGA cards. The SC, the SC+ etc etc. I was out of gaming the entire time during that release. I don't have much info on what did well in the previous gen.

SC and SC+ are just reference PCBs that may or may not come with the ACX cooler. I'd avoid since they aren't the fastest/best for overclocking. SC+ should come with a backplate I think.

If you don't really care too much (about OC or don't want to spend on an "old" card) then just settle for them.

Gigabyte cards: G1 Gaming, very popular and quite good. (I'd skip the standard Windforce variant)

MSI: Skip the Lightning, was disappointing. Standard Gaming card probably isn't too bad.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

SC and SC+ are just reference PCBs that may or may not come with the ACX cooler. I'd avoid since they aren't the fastest/best for overclocking. SC+ should come with a backplate I think.

If you don't really care too much (about OC or don't want to spend on an "old" card) then just settle for them.

Gigabyte cards: G1 Gaming, very popular and quite good. (I'd skip the standard Windforce variant)

MSI: Skip the Lightning, was disappointing. Standard Gaming card probably isn't too bad.

Great, thank you for the info.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

I really like Zotac and EVGA cards, but the manufacturer's reliability is secondary to how the card was treated by its previous owner.