UPS fail!

GTX590

So I sold a PC to a customer for about 2,000 dollars. I shipped it out from my work paid and insured. It arrived damage, but not typical damage. The case was fine, the video card was ripped from the board hanging out, the screws to the bracket was missing and the solders on the front of the fan were ripped off. Motherboard was scratched, damaged and not working. There was no exterior damage other than a few holes in the shipping box but the case was fine. After it didn't boot he contacted me.

Someone from UPS poked a few holes in it and saw what it was and tried to rip out the 400 dollar graphics card is seems. I had him file a claim, but UPS said my employer denied it and that I would have to handle it. So I had him take pics, send it to me, and ship it back to me. I filed a claim and they denied it on the fact that my customer used USPS not UPS. I said it didn't matter, we had documented damage on the original delivery date.

So now I am filing a dispute, and I am pretty pissed. 600 dollars in damage that UPS is trying to get out of. My customer and I just want the money to have 2 components replaced. So I am in the process of filing (if they deny the dispute) a federal complaint against UPS with tampering with shipping and a report with the ACFE for fraudulent business and insurance practices. Being a member of the ACFE, UPS isn't anything to worry about. We took down Worldcom and Enron, companies that paid more in taxes than UPS does. I just want them to own up to their mistakes. Why is that so hard?

Summer build: I7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, 4x4GB (Alternative black/red) DDR3 1600MHz, HD 7970GHz Water blocked, XSPC res/pump combo, 2 dual 120MM radiators, Corsair 350D Case, Corsair AX860I 80+ Gold PSU, custom red individually sleeved cables, red tubing w/ silver/chrome compression fittings, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, ASrock Z87 MATX professional board, and a Corsair Vengeance K60 keyboard.

can you post the pics? I am very interested in this, as I will soon be shipping a $1400 computer to my friend in new york, from Washington.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

if they make you go through all of that get as much as you can out of them $$ wise.

Holy shat sucks dude. Good luck, keep us posted!

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

All I am asking for is replacement cost of the GPU and motherboard. They said since my customer sent it back to me via USPS they cannot be held liable. I told them I have pictures and a claim attempt on the date of delivery, they said it doesn't matter... The card is DESTROYED, and the mobo is scratched with the PCI-E hold down latch missing. The backplate is bent and the cooler is ripped from the card hanging down pulled off the soldered points. It's bad, someone tried to steal it...

Summer build: I7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, 4x4GB (Alternative black/red) DDR3 1600MHz, HD 7970GHz Water blocked, XSPC res/pump combo, 2 dual 120MM radiators, Corsair 350D Case, Corsair AX860I 80+ Gold PSU, custom red individually sleeved cables, red tubing w/ silver/chrome compression fittings, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, ASrock Z87 MATX professional board, and a Corsair Vengeance K60 keyboard.

It seems more likely to me that the GPU snapped from the motherboard, and got shaken around inside, scratching the motherboard and everything else. This actually happens, that's why people remove the GPU before they transport their PC.

And seriously, anyone who is so uneducated in computer hardware that they would rip out a GPU from the motherboard would probably have no interest in stealing it anyway. In fact they probably wouldn't even know it was valuable or even removable.

Just IMO

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

can you post the pics? I am very interested in this' date=' as I will soon be shipping a $1400 computer to my friend in new york, from Washington.[/quote']

use anti static packing foam, and pack everywhere on the inside.

can you post the pics? I am very interested in this' date=' as I will soon be shipping a $1400 computer to my friend in new york, from Washington.[/quote']

I am going to use form fitting foam packing to stop inside parts from moving, and packing foam everywhere else also.
Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

I am going to use form fitting foam packing to stop inside parts from moving' date=' and packing foam everywhere else also.[/quote']

good. plus that will also act as a detterent against anyone peeking.

to the op: in this kind of situation, you'll want to make sure that you file the claim before shipping, and by them telling you to ship back to you before any claim is deceit. that gives them a possible chance of saying "we can't say if it was done during x or y transit". and on top of that should a situation like this occur contact the bbb and document all relevant information. with also something like an iphone showing the date and time, in order to distinguish the cases validity.

doing so puts more pegs into the coffin and forces a carriers hand.

and have them refund for the full value due to "damaging the system". if it was a clients pc then it should be treated as such, and you now have destroyed product. the fact that you can get a few parts salvaged is due payment for negligence/attempted theft.

It seems more likely to me that the GPU snapped from the motherboard, and got shaken around inside, scratching the motherboard and everything else. This actually happens, that's why people remove the GPU before they transport their PC.

And seriously, anyone who is so uneducated in computer hardware that they would rip out a GPU from the motherboard would probably have no interest in stealing it anyway. In fact they probably wouldn't even know it was valuable or even removable.

Just IMO

I agree with this, heavy GPUs already bend quiet a bit when installed, and all that jostling in transport could have easily knocked it loose.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

It's impossible the gpu came out during shipping like this. The 2 screws that connect the pcb to the rear bracket were missing. The solders that connect the fan to the pcb were destroyed. The metal hold downs that ASrock uses to keep the gpu attached were broken off and the snap in pci-e connectors that has no tension were removed. If it were dropped this badly for 3 screws to get dislodged (yet not in the case) the entire pc shoulda been crushed. Way too much damage to the card but none to the case

Claim and dispute was denied. I am on the higher level supervisor level now. My customer has been waiting 3 weeks now to get this PC and this is just getting dumb. They are gonna be out 600 bucks because of UPS. They told me to have the PC shipped back to me so I could file the claim, because my weekend job sent it out and I have to have the actual PC in my hands to file a claim. My customer elected to use USPS because UPS damaged the product. Their ruling against me is on the basis that the original tracking paper is on the paper I wrapped the box in which is at his house. I had him ship it to me, but they said "it wasn't good enough". So not only is my company annoyed with UPS, but now a customer has been in limbo for weeks on a 1700 dollar PC with 600 dollars in damage.

The amount of damage ONLY to the video card and motherboard (Scratched from the video card) shows that it was tampered with. The amount of pure damage to the GPU would of required the entire case to be destroyed if it was "dropped". Even the steel hold downs ASrock uses on their PCI-E connectors was ripped off and the screws holding the video card to rear bracket are missing. Lady on the phone got mad because I am going to file a criminal action against UPS for tampering with shipping and a claim with the ACFE for fraudulent insurance practices. The lady responded they UPS has the best lawyers around. I responded with, so did Worldcom and Enron and they paid more in taxes than what UPS makes every year. Then she lawyer-ed up and refused to give me her name, badge ID number or anything. Well clearly I won that round, but I am dealing with nice people through customer relations for now.

I worked at GLS Ireland, it's a shipping service in Ireland, and I've always seen any kind of parcel thrown about. Not a care in the world. The possibility of the video card coming off and being thrown about during shipping is a real possibility. Like it was said, if someone tried to steal it, they would have taken more care. The outside case would be fine because I assume you put foam inserts around it. The amount of force from throwing a heavy parcel down stairs (The classic method for taking parcels down a flight of stairs) would damage the internals significantly.

Regardless, you really should have either taken out the video card and separately pack it or filled the case with foam padding or air pocket bags. It seems like an amateur move to ship a computer without packing it in foam on the inside.

I worked at GLS Ireland' date=' it's a shipping service in Ireland, and I've always seen any kind of parcel thrown about. Not a care in the world. The possibility of the video card coming off and being thrown about during shipping is a real possibility. Like it was said, if someone tried to steal it, they would have taken more care. The outside case would be fine because I assume you put foam inserts around it. The amount of force from throwing a heavy parcel down stairs (The classic method for taking parcels down a flight of stairs) would damage the internals significantly. Regardless, you really should have either taken out the video card and separately pack it or filled the case with foam padding or air pocket bags. It seems like an amateur move to ship a computer without packing it in foam on the inside. [/quote']

A customer is NOT expected to know how to install components or open up a product to take out foam inserts. They expect a product to be turn key. Having shipped over 300 PC's in the last 3 years, we've NEVER had this problem. What happened was someone opened up the case and tried to pull the card out and didn't have a screw driver. The amount of damage to the card lines up with this. The ONLY way a PCI-E connector can become unsnapped when it had 8 inches of slack is if someone removed it. The customer said the box looked like it was resealed. Also there were several holes in it. Someone poked holes in it to see what it was and tried to pull the graphics card out w/o a screw driver. Hence how the STEEL hold downs are broken off, how the screws are broken off and the fan is separated from the PCB. It would have taken several hundred feet pound of lateral torque to pull that card out and bust out 3 screws. If it was caused by shipping, the case would have been DESTROYED, the GLASS reservoir would have shattered. There are several components far more fragile inside that were undamaged.

Best of luck, sorry to hear about this and I hope you don't mark UPS on your "crap" list. I've always had good things come from UPS and never had any mishaps personally.

Hope it turns out well for you and you get your money back 10x the $600 for all this crap you're going through.

As a personal suggestion...do you think you could take a small hit and just replace the components temporarily so your customer has a computer and you just have the damaged components? Just take this as a suggestion, not telling you how to run your business or how to deal with this! I know if I was your customer, I wouldn't mind the wait and would be patient about this as it wouldn't be my fault, hope your customer is being patient and isn't getting angry!

Again, best of luck!

All I am asking for is replacement cost of the GPU and motherboard. They said since my customer sent it back to me via USPS they cannot be held liable. I told them I have pictures and a claim attempt on the date of delivery, they said it doesn't matter... The card is DESTROYED, and the mobo is scratched with the PCI-E hold down latch missing. The backplate is bent and the cooler is ripped from the card hanging down pulled off the soldered points. It's bad, someone tried to steal it...
Whom ever tried to steal it is a total moron .

...Man I would never let my packages be left outside like that. The problem here is that they are tagging a whole company to a single human being, yah sure he works there, but his still human and thats some Tempting box left wide open for the taking. Ethics doesn't always translate well between human to the next human, and there multiply humans in one business. That person chose convenience, and with that, must accept the risk of theft from another human being.

yeah it don't seem to make much caution and frigile stickers you put on the box people that work at these delivery places dont seem to give a crap and i have had my computer damaged in the past.

Always take out the hard drives, take out the graphics cards and you should be fine.

got to love Asus components

yeah it don't seem to make much caution and frigile stickers you put on the box people that work at these delivery places dont seem to give a crap and i have had my computer damaged in the past. Always take out the hard drives' date=' take out the graphics cards and you should be fine. [/quote']

Most people I deal with don't have the knowledge to open up a PC and install parts. Also they expect a PC to be turn key, they don't expect to open it up and take out packing out of the case or reconnector connectors. Dell doesn't even do that.

On the question of why don't I take the hit? I didn't build the PC and sell it. He ordered everything and I pretty much did it for free as he's a friend of my friend. He only paid for shipping and I don't have 600 dollars laying around atm.