8700K not at max speed on adaptive setting

Go to solution Solved by Langley_Man,

Try a avx offset of -2

Should see some temp changes

In windows power options are u on performance mode? 

If so that's your cause.

Change to balanced 

Greetings!

I posted this on some other thread/forum but I do not recall if I submit or received a response.

I have OC'd my 8700k with a 5ghz @ 1.35v settings RAM at 2666mhz.
My temps hover from 77 to 90 where the lower temp is on fast and noisy pump and fans. I also have LLC to Level 7 just to make sure of stability and my vcore at load goes to 1.374 to 1.424

I do have a concern, when validating my Overclock, i used manual voltage which maintained the clock to max no matter what task.

When i got it stable for my needs/wants, I switched to adaptive, MCE off, SpeedShift/spedstep enabled, and c-states enabled. I set the power settings to performance and did an hour more stress to validate. I noticed that on stress test and other heavy tasks, the 8700k does not stay at my max clock (5ghz) even if the temps are at 70s. On games and basic tasks it's good.

I was only able to make it to max all the time when i turn mce to auto, but the clocks won't dial down which defeat my purpose of using adaptive.

My mobo is the ASUS maximus X Hero (wifi)
Ram is corsair vengeance rgb
Corsair H100iv2 for the cooler
Corsair AX860i for the PSU

Is this normal?  If it is, what setting can I change to have always max speeds at 100% load no matter what the task/benchmark is?  Should I disable c-states?

Thank you and regards,

Try a avx offset of -2

If so that's your cause.

Change to balanced 

1 hour ago, LangleyNerd said:

Try a avx offset of -2

If so that's your cause.

Change to balanced 

I did the avx offset and power options to balance but freqs still fluctuates.

I'm continually troubleshooting.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, LangleyNerd said:

Heres mine, its been rock stable. just for comparison

Noice!  You're able to get it at 5ghz at 1.325v VID.  I needed mine at 1.374v (1.350 input in bios) and my actual VCORE on load is 1.408 - 1.424.

Temps are around 85-90 on an H100i V2 with slow fans on stress test.

BTW, I was only able to set the max by enabling MCE.  Temp difference is not that much difference in manual (about 2-4 deg C).

Thank you for your feed back and sharing!

As we can see, I may need to re-apply thermal paste.  Core5 is hot.

Untitled.jpg

Wana know the truth? I couldn't get it stable for the life of me for the last two months. When I did i had ugly temps like u due to voltage.

Wasn't until I read a article somewhere from somone with the same board and the same issue and they stumbled across a weird way of doing it but seemed to work and make it stable. 

I will take some pix of my bios for yea.

Btw did u do the -2 avx offset ? 

That was a bigy to. I noticed when I was trying to over clock it my temps were threw the roof. It's instructions to the cpu using avx that are super hard on it. With the offset in place games and most apps will run at the 5ghz however anything using a avx offset instruction would downclock to 4.8

MSI_SnapShot.bmp

MSI_SnapShot_002.bmp

MSI_SnapShot_002_00.bmp

MSI_SnapShot_002_02.bmp

MSI_SnapShot_002_03.bmp

Screenshot (11).png

Edited by LangleyNerd
had to attach pix

Yeah, i read that there's more this option to have the clocks down when the chip detects avx.  I did it on my first try on oc for this 8700k and it was fun finding out the stress test that use avx would not max (us the offset less the core ratio) out but others that don't use will.

I learned that intel xtu does not use avx on stress test so that was the Benchmark i used to see if my oc is stable at max speeds.  I used aida and RealBench to see if my offsets are working.

I do however find that my chip at 5ghz was good even without any avx offset.  Yeah, temps went haywire, but only on stress tests.  On rendering, i just need to create a more aggressive cooling profile.  A bit noisy, but it works.

Those are really nice temps too!  Good job!

And thank you for sharing your BIOS settings.  Greatly appreciated and it will be a big help ?

The AVX offset looks like I can have a 5ghz on a lower voltage and only kicks in on non-avx task right?  then my offset will trigger once an AVX load is started?

I did more reading on what people get their 8700Ks and man they have like low voltage on 5.0-5.2ghz!  but they also have these AVX offsets.

Is this the case?

@LangleyNerd:  you used AIDA 64 on the screenie.  Will unchecking Stress FPU remove the AVX work load?  I really like AIDA64 as it's like an all-in-one stress test.

i also dont know if u noticed. I also down clocked my ram. 

Im not 100% sure if that had anything to do with it. again something i heard on a page on the net somewhere and it was that round of me changing settings that got to where i am so im hesitant to change it.. my 16gb DDR4 was 2666 i down clocked it to 2133. again im not 100% sure if that had anything to do with it . but its a setting that was tweeked to get to the stability and low temps im at now

Ahhh.....great so i aida64 is good for non avx workload.  I just seen the video you posted but unsure as it was for Kaby.  I'll see trying to put offsets and increasing core multiplier without voltage changes will do good.  Lol. Another 2-8 hrs of non avx testing.

Thank you again for the assistance.  Greatly appreciate it.

avx tbh is hardly used in everyday life, and when it is its done for a split second, not ongoing. so a benchmark that uses continual avx is unrealistic. 

in real life with us using the avx offset, if something used avx chances are u wouldn't even see it with your eyes in Hardware monitor cause it was done so fast, and again 90% of the usage of your cpu is non avx

8 minutes ago, LangleyNerd said:

i also dont know if u noticed. I also down clocked my ram. 

Im not 100% sure if that had anything to do with it. again something i heard on a page on the net somewhere and it was that round of me changing settings that got to where i am so im hesitant to change it.. my 16gb DDR4 was 2666 i down clocked it to 2133. again im not 100% sure if that had anything to do with it . but its a setting that was tweeked to get to the stability and low temps im at now

Yes, i noticed too.  I also had xmp stability issues when trying 5ghz+.  The bsod i get are all ram related.  This is after testing all dims and channels.

Im not even mad.... You just gave me an idea hahaha....i am planning on saving space and plan on using a 120mm aio too that i have lying around hahahah

The real magic happens when you overclock WITHOUT using a crutch like AVX offset.  All that's doing is cheating the clock speed during real load (otherwise known as AVX). 

If this is a dedicated gaming rig, no worries as AVX won't matter to you, but if you do any type of productivity don't assume that AVX isn't used that much because it actually is.  Premiere, Handbrake, Microsoft Excel to name a few all use it and do so for more than a brief second.

Instead of working the offset, try to find out what was triggering the down clock during load.  If it was the offset, great, you know what to fix.  If it was power limits, get rid of them.

Have fun with it.  

I agree and disagree

To the average user,gamer, even most power users won't notice see difference with a minor -2 avx offset

Unless your a hardcore video editor or as u mentioned excel when using math calculations. 

Slower cpus well maybe.

If i see 100% use in excel on a 8 core stock 3.7ghz i7 8700k there's a real issue. As in I need to upgrade from a non mainsteam cpu.

Prime95 avx test as anyone will say is far beyond what a user is gona throw at his cpu. 

Even as a moderate video editor using premier I rarely see cpu loads over 70% cpu thusI'm not even hitting the cap on avx. Most usage being done gpu

Again a agree and disagree 

2 minutes ago, LangleyNerd said:

I agree and disagree

To the average user,gamer, even most power users won't notice see difference with a minor -2 avx offset

Unless your a hardcore video editor or as u mentioned excel when using math calculations. 

Slower cpus well maybe.

If i see 100% use in excel on a 8 core 12thread stock 3.7ghz i7 8700k there's a real issue. As in I need to upgrade from a non mainsteam cpu.

Prime95 avx test as anyone will say is far beyond what a user is gona throw at his cpu. 

Even as a moderate video editor using premier I rarely see cpu loads over 70% cpu thusI'm not even hitting the cap on avx. Most usage being done gpu

Again i agree and disagree 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to reincarnate this thread.  Just an update as I've fine tuned my 8700k with a new cooler.  It seems in adaptive settings with MCE disabled and no AVX offset, the clocks would default to stock multipliers on stress tests and benchmarks.  In other programs (games, browsers, etc) the clocks will go to max turbo set in bios.

It seems that MCE disabled on adaptive applies some offset when running heavy stress and benchmark programs.  At least for my set up.

If I wanted to benchmark, I'd need to turn MCE to 'Auto' and then it would run max turbo speed on any task that would put the chip on load.

Regards,

I'm pretty sure that has to do with an AVX offset that is automatically configured with mce .  similar to how my overclock of 5.1 gigahertz will clock down 4.8 when anything running AVX is being used such as a stress test or a benchmark. I could look into it further but I'm actually on my way to go get a keyboard signed by Linus

Spoiler

1 minute ago, LangleyNerd said:

I'm pretty sure that has to do with an AVX offset that is automatically configured with mce .  similar to how my overclock of 5.1 gigahertz will clock down 4.8 when anything running AVX is being used such as a stress test or a benchmark. I could look into it further but I'm actually on my way to go get a keyboard signed by Linus

Hide contents

Ahh....so by default, if MCE is disabled, the intel settings would apply an AVX offset regardless if it's configured or not.

Sweet!  That just made things clear as the sun!

Thank you! ^________________________^