Windows Update KB4056892 Bugs

Through personal struggle as a result of the Windows January 2018 Update (KB4056892) I've collated known bugs and issues. Personally my Windows Installation was bricked, requiring first a complete reinstallation, then the second time luckily the Automatic Repair fixed it. The most common issues are programs failing to work after the update, particularly those that require access to motherboard and CPU sensors or controls like Asus AI Suite and Aurora.

An article can be found covering the four most common issues at Windows Report.

http://windowsreport.com/kb4056892-issues/

Microsoft recently pushed KB4056892 to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update users in order to patch the Meltdown and Spectre CPU vulnerabilities.

The Redmond giant confirmed that the update also brings issues of its own — three of them to be more precise. However, recent user reports confirmed that KB4056892 causes more problems than initially acknowledged by Microsoft.

So, the question is: will you still install KB4056892 and patch those CPU security vulnerabilities knowing that the update may break your PC?

I've also started a troubleshooting thread collating the known issues so people can contribute in one thread rather than creating many more on very similar issues. The main problem it seems is the lack of understanding the cause of their issues is the Windows Update.

Thread is here:

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

I think it's funny that on the last WAN Show Luke and James advised everyone to "Make sure Windows Updates are enabled". And now, this update can potentially brick your PC, and the best advise from the experts right now is to Disable Windows Updates.

17 minutes ago, sikari2015 said:

I think it's funny that on the last WAN Show Luke and James advised everyone to "Make sure Windows Updates are enabled". And now, this update can potentially brick your PC, and the best advise from the experts right now is to Disable Windows Updates.

Well, it is kind of hard to steal data (remotely) if your PC can't even boot.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, it is kind of hard to steal data (remotely) if your PC can't even boot.

Yeah, I suppose that is one way the update fixed the problem :)

24 minutes ago, sikari2015 said:

Which experts are recommending that?  

Every now and then I hear a few youtube and some random tech journalists say that, but I have yet to hear it from experts.

I would like to know how bad this issue actually is.  I mean the forums haven't exactly been flooded with these issues and most of those updates installed 2+ days ago.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I had this problem with RivaTurner Server (for MSI afterburner).

I got spammed with a window saying that it wasn't working.

I just uninstalled the programmed, and reinstalled it and it worked out for me.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Every now and then I hear a few youtube and some random tech journalists say that, but I have yet to hear it from experts.

You're not going to hear Microsoft say "hey don't install our software update". They're ignoring the bricking issue, no responses or advice at this stage. What "expert" do you want to hear it from?

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

i already have it since the 5th, no problems here

My main PC is fine also, same version of Windows, different hardware. My secondary system was bricked, twice.

Just now, sikari2015 said:

My main PC is fine also, same version of Windows, different hardware. My secondary system was bricked, twice.

have they said what actually causes the issue? is it certain hardware or just luck?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, sikari2015 said:

You're not going to hear Microsoft say "hey don't install our software update". They're ignoring the bricking issue, no responses or advice at this stage. What "expert" do you want to hear it from?

There are lots of experts out there.  Just don't confuse journalists with experts.   Who are the experts you claim are saying it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It seems to be just random. I've seen user reports of both Intel and AMD PCs from various generations. From H61 Intel, to B350 AMD. It has to be some other factor, or factors.

Can confirm the ai suite broken-ness here too. 3 full re-installs last night trying to figure this shit out. Still doesn't even load..

38 minutes ago, killertek78 said:

Can confirm the ai suite broken-ness here too. 3 full re-installs last night trying to figure this shit out. Still doesn't even load..

Same here. The worst part is, I just switched to my first high-end ASUS board ever and I can't even run AISuite... Frustrating to say the least.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

53 minutes ago, killertek78 said:

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Same here. The worst part is, I just switched to my first high-end ASUS board ever and I can't even run AISuite... Frustrating to say the least.

Apparently there is a beta out from Asus that re-fixes what the update broke.  @Notional mentioned it in another thread.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Apparently there is a beta out from Asus that re-fixes what the update broke.  @Notional mentioned it in another thread.

Thanks ^_^ I'll try to find it, but it might not work with my board as it's not the latest chipset (It's a Z170 Maximus board) 

EDIT: It apparently might work even back to Z87 :o Link: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800-AI-Suite-3-Beta-Version-3-00-10-user-test-report-thread
*use at your own discretion because it's beta*

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Microsoft is just giving me more reasons to use W7. Meltdown patch already, massive bugs in W10, etc. I'm in heaven

fuuu i want linux master race, linux year, linux century someone do something so sick of windows and corporations...

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

I would like to know how bad this issue actually is.  I mean the forums haven't exactly been flooded with these issues and most of those updates installed 2+ days ago.

I've had zero issues across two laptops and my desktop at home (HP Spectre, MSI GS73, Ryzen 1700x build).

I guess an expert is someone who is paid for their opinions, even if the payment is ad-rev...

4 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I've had zero issues across two laptops and my desktop at home (HP Spectre, MSI GS73, Ryzen 1700x build).

I guess an expert is someone who is paid for their opinions, even if the payment is ad-rev...

I don't doubt there are bugs with the update, I personally haven't had any nor do I know anyone IRL who has.  I  know a few on the forums who had issues with asus software. But given the type of update this was, the law of averages says it will cause some issues for people.   I just want to know who is saying not to update?   The OP clearly said experts are advising to disable updates, so who are they and why?

AISuite broke on one computer... but nothing else seems broken across 7 PC's and 14 servers at home.  Simply re-running the installer (didn't uninstall) fixed it for me.

We also updated approximately 900 PC's at work, and around 350 servers without any issues so far. Granted the PC's are on the Enterprise edition of Win10.

=====================================================================

So wait, is the update out and available through Windows update yet? Because it hasn't found any new updates to install for me.

But just in case, I guess I'll pause updates for a month.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So wait, is the update out and available through Windows update yet? Because it hasn't found any new updates to install for me.

But just in case, I guess I'll pause updates for a month.

If you are on win 10 it has most likely already updated. Which is most likely why there are no new updates.