Fitbit vs smartwatch (which offers the best fitness apps and ecosystem)

daweakling

I was recently looking into purchasing either a Fitbit Charge 2 or LG Watch Sport or Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. 

Now I know you can do so so much more on a smartwatch than a Fitbit, but I am worried about the experience using it as a fitness tracker. 

Fitbit does very well with tracking your steps, heart rate, and movement constantly. I wonder if there is a good smartwatch alternative app that does the same. I know Samsung Health is very good and they are introducing many features. Like they recently introduced active heart rate monitoring last month. 

What would you guys recommend? Does the smartwatch ecosystem offer good fitness options? I know many people stand truly by Fitbits features and app but I feel like Samsung Health can kick its butt. 

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

Have you looked into the Fitbit Ionic? I haven't, but it's supposed to blend both worlds. It should also get battery life that's a lot better than most full fledged smartwatches.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, sebastiansulb said:

I was recently looking into purchasing either a Fitbit Charge 2 or LG Watch Sport or Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. 

Now I know you can do so so much more on a smartwatch than a Fitbit, but I am worried about the experience using it as a fitness tracker. 

Fitbit does very well with tracking your steps, heart rate, and movement constantly. I wonder if there is a good smartwatch alternative app that does the same. I know Samsung Health is very good and they are introducing many features. Like they recently introduced active heart rate monitoring last month. 

What would you guys recommend? Does the smartwatch ecosystem offer good fitness options? I know many people stand truly by Fitbits features and app but I feel like Samsung Health can kick its butt. 

I'd personally go with a smartwatch, most likely the Gear S3 (more on that in a bit).  I use an Apple Watch Series 3 myself but am familiar with the other options.

Fitness trackers can be more accurate than smartwatches, but that's debatable with a Fitbit... and more importantly, you get more flexibility and utility out of a smartwatch.  You're not completely locked into one company's fitness software, and you'll have a device that gives you more reasons to look than to check your step count or heart rate.  I use my watch for email alerts (is that work email really worth pulling out my phone?), music, weather, even just finding out when the next bus or train is due to arrive.

I give the nod to the Gear S3 because Android Wear feels... compromised right now.  Google's app ecosystem is wider than Samsung's, but Android Wear has the one-two combo of an imperfect interface and lackluster hardware.  The S3 has its quirks, but it's arguably easier to navigate, has a nicer hardware design than the LG Watch Sport and offers enough app choice.