Overclock i7 7700k?

I tried overclocking my i7 7700k as one did on youtube, 4.8 ghz with 1.208 vcore. But after an hour of gaming, my pc crashed with that blue screen and pc restarted, my cpu never exceeded 70C, it is watercooled. Is there any other setting i missed? I have the MSI z270 sli plus mobo

That might not be enough voltage, not every CPU is the same, some CPU's will be fine at those settings, some won't. It's all about searching the limit of your own cpu.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Not enough voltage for stability. you need to increase the vcore until your system is stable. I would check with programs like Realbench to male sure it' fairly stable.

Just now, samcool55 said:

That might not be enough voltage, not every CPU is the same, some CPU's will be fine at those settings, some won't. It's all about searching the limit of your own cpu.

oh, hmm, is there like a simple way? i know my i7 7700k has like a boost clock of 4700mhz but in game i only get 4200 with everything stock, how do i enable this boost clock?

Just now, For Science! said:

Not enough voltage for stability. you need to increase the vcore until your system is stable. I would check with programs like Realbench to male sure it' fairly stable.

oh, how much vcore would you recommend? i heard that if you go above 1.350 without delidding it will be bad for the cpu.

Just now, howdoichangegpu said:

oh, how much vcore would you recommend? i heard that if you go above 1.350 without delidding it will be bad for the cpu.

Depends on your cpu quality (silicon lottery) for example I can get 4.9 Ghz with 1.325 (quite a bad chip compared to most)

As long as the temperatures are fine with a given voltage and heavy load ( synthetics are better at generating heat stress over games) then I would say it' fine.

Just now, For Science! said:

Depends on your cpu quality (silicon lottery) for example I can get 4.9 Ghz with 1.325 (quite a bad chip compared to most)

As long as the temperatures are fine with a given voltage and heavy load ( synthetics are better at generating heat stress over games) then I would say it' fine.

cpu quality? could an i7 7700k from one vendor be bad quality and an i7 7700k from another vendor be a better quality? i just read again that 1.350 is max for an aircooling solution. i got watercooled. are you using an i7 7700k?

4 minutes ago, howdoichangegpu said:

oh, hmm, is there like a simple way? i know my i7 7700k has like a boost clock of 4700mhz but in game i only get 4200 with everything stock, how do i enable this boost clock?

The boost clock is probably the single-core boost clock, which means only 1 core will go to 4.7Ghz, not all of them.

Intel is known to do this, what they do is basically say it will boost "up to" a certain speed, but only 1 core will do that.

If multiple cores boost their boost speed will drop, the more cores that boost the lower they will actually run.

You can try an "agressive boost" basically locking all cores to 4.7Ghz and giving it a bit more voltage.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just incrase voltage by +0.025V at a time and try again.

Watch temperatures. Mid 80°C is where I would recommend you to stop increasing voltage and just downclock by 100MHz if it was still unstable.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

The boost clock is probably the single-core boost clock, which means only 1 core will go to 4.7Ghz, not all of them.

Intel is known to do this, what they do is basically say it will boost "up to" a certain speed, but only 1 core will do that.

If multiple cores boost their boost speed will drop, the more cores that boost the lower they will actually run.

You can try an "agressive boost" basically locking all cores to 4.7Ghz and giving it a bit more voltage.

that's what i did, but i must have too little vcore voltage.

1 minute ago, howdoichangegpu said:

cpu quality? could an i7 7700k from one vendor be bad quality and an i7 7700k from another vendor be a better quality? i just read again that 1.350 is max for an aircooling solution. i got watercooled. are you using an i7 7700k?

CPU quality means how well the cpu is build. If you would go to your local computer shop and just buy 2 7700k's, they will overclock differently.

THey can both OC fine, or like ass, or 1 fine and 1 like ass, you don't know! We call it the silicon lottery :P You never know what you'll get until you try!

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Just incrase voltage by +0.025V at a time and try again.

Watch temperatures. Mid 80°C is where I would recommend you to stop increasing voltage and just downclock by 100MHz if it was still unstable.

I'll try that

Just now, howdoichangegpu said:

Every single 7700K (and every single cpu for that matter) will be slightly different from each other in terms of overclockability and temperature performance. This is known as the silicon lottery

I have a fully water cooled 7700K. Maximum voltage is merely what people are comfortable with. If your cooling is adequate you can push more voltage. It' the heat that usually kills the component, not the volts.

Having said that I think 1.3 V should be more than plenty for 4.8 Ghz. Try dial the voltage back by 0.025 V at a time until you work out the minimum stable voltage.

23 minutes ago, howdoichangegpu said:

7700k's max single core turbo is 4.5 ghz. I think you're confusing the 8700k with the 7700k

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

7700k's max single core turbo is 4.5 ghz. I think you're confusing the 8700k with the 7700k

oh lol yeah i did, hahahah, well, how do i turbo my cpu up to 4.5?

1 minute ago, howdoichangegpu said:

oh lol yeah i did, hahahah, well, how do i turbo my cpu up to 4.5?

It should boost one core to 4.5 on its own. Are you asking about boosting all cores to 4.5?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It should boost one core to 4.5 on its own. Are you asking about boosting all cores to 4.5?

oh, i thought it was going to boost all cores to 4.5, i want like an 4.7ghz overclock. but i would settle down for a 4.5

5 minutes ago, howdoichangegpu said:

oh, i thought it was going to boost all cores to 4.5, i want like an 4.7ghz overclock. but i would settle down for a 4.5

See if you can find a setting for multi core turbo in your bios. If yes, enable it and it should run at 4.5

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

See if you can find a setting for multi core turbo in your bios. If yes, enable it and it should run at 4.5

Depends on the vender of mobo for what it's called 

apparently enabling an xmp enables this feature too

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

23 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Depends on the vender of mobo for what it's called 

apparently enabling an xmp enables this feature too

i have oc genie 4 and also xmp in my bios

40 minutes ago, howdoichangegpu said:

i have oc genie 4 and also xmp in my bios

Well use oc genie