Stuck between sockets (LGA 1150)

Recently my motherboard ( Asus Z97M Plus ) quietly passed away.

Unfortunately now I'm looking for a replacement but I'm having quite a hard time buying new ( no stock or the prices sky rocketed by about 100-200€ since when they were released ) and I'd prefer not to buy used.

Now I'm debating if I should drop 600€ on a new build, but I'd also love to squeeze a few more years out of my 4690k before selling it for cheap.

Man am I frustrated.

What about selling the 4690K to offset the cost or is that already taken into account?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yep s1150 has been dead for close to 3 years now, so limited stock is just something that gradually happens. The 4690K doesn't really have much value anymore to begin with since the i5-8400 and 8600K released. I'd just jump to a new platform and sell off the remaining unusable parts (like the RAM).

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, fear92 said:

Unfortunately now I'm looking for a replacement but I'm having quite a hard time buying new ( no stock or the prices sky rocketed by about 100-200€ since when they were released ) and I'd prefer not to buy used.

Now I'm debating if I should drop 600€ on a new build, but I'd also love to squeeze a few more years out of my 4690k before selling it for cheap.

Man am I frustrated.

first of all what do you use your PC for ?, because that would help you decide on if its necessary to actually buy a brand new CPU 

Look for lower / older chipset

Z87 or B85 or even H81

Working system is better than no system. Finding Z87/97 is marginally better than to look for Z77 (1155) here, but the CPU is still expensive.

$180 for i5 4440 compared to $100 i5 2500 + Board.

5c67bd170f.jpg

These are used, price range € 55-70

Honestly Z87 and Z97 boards new are an incredibly shitty buy. Either sell what you have working and upgrade to Coffee Lake or get a used Z97 board

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

first of all what do you use your PC for ?, because that would help you decide on if its necessary to actually buy a brand new CPU 

Just gaming plus I'd love to buy an Oculus Rift in the near future.

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

snip

I'm able to find a used motherboard for 70€ so it's kinda hard to spend almost 10 times that much for an upgrade ( even if I have no money issues, I'm just a tad bit too frugal )

1 minute ago, fear92 said:

I'm able to find a used motherboard for 70€ so it's kinda hard to spend almost 10 times that much for an upgrade ( even if I have no money issues, I'm just a tad bit too frugal )

You specified you didn't want to go used, but of course, used is the cheapest solution :P

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

15 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You specified you didn't want to go used, but of course, used is the cheapest solution :P

I'm still sour for the loss :( and I'd trust a used one even less.

I guess that this is still the same discussion like all the other  "Should I upgrade hurr durr".

I know what options I have, but I also need to vent!

41 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Honestly Z87 and Z97 boards new are an incredibly shitty buy. Either sell what you have working and upgrade to Coffee Lake or get a used Z97 board

Yup pretty much.

1 hour ago, fear92 said:

Man am I frustrated.

I'm selling a used Z97K for $40 USD + Shipping.

If the price seems low it's cos I'm in a bit of a rush to sell and cos people on eBay are charging as much where I am right now,

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

45 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm selling a used Z97K for $40 USD + Shipping.

If the price seems low it's cos I'm in a bit of a rush to sell and cos people on eBay are charging as much where I am right now,

Judging by the USD price I can tell you that shipping would eat up your cheap price, sorry.

2 hours ago, fear92 said:

If you have a tight budget id stick with your current CPU, but if you can afford it go for a newer generation like Kaby lake or coffee lake, especially if you are planning on buying a VR headset in the future 

7 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

If you have a tight budget id stick with your current CPU, but if you can afford it go for a newer generation like Kaby lake or coffee lake, especially if you are planning on buying a VR headset in the future 

Money is not a problem I could easily drop 2k on a new pc, but I am quite bothered that this build lasted me 3 years when I was aiming at around 5 years before jumping on a new upgrade.

Plus now I'm scared that I might hop on a socket that is near the end of it's life.

( I know that AM4 will be around for at least 2 more years but I'm scarred by this mediocre experience with 1150 )

11 minutes ago, fear92 said:

Money is not a problem I could easily drop 2k on a new pc, but I am quite bothered that this build lasted me 3 years when I was aiming at around 5 years before jumping on a new upgrade.

Plus now I'm scared that I might hop on a socket that is near the end of it's life.

( I know that AM4 will be around for at least 2 more years but I'm scarred by this mediocre experience with 1150 )

i mean my friends still use lga 1150 and they have been for years, their PC's are still going strong, but in that case id recommend upgrading to a newer generation like an i5 8600k or an i7 7700k