how to setup 8Pin Adapter Card for mining?

Hi,

I recently purchased one of these https://smile.amazon.com/Motherboard-Express-Graphics-Adapter-Machine/dp/B07571T721/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515049385&sr=1-1&keywords=Motherboard+PCI+Express+1+to+8+Mining+Riser+Card+PCI-E+x16 and I was hoping to use it to add more gpu's to my mining rig. I have an old x99 gaming system I wasn't using and it seems to have the PCIe lane support for it with an i7 5820k. I plugged the card in and connected my gpu's to the usb ports, but nothing is happening. There are some red led lights on the card, but other than that windows isn't detecting the cards at all. Do I need a driver for the pci extender or something? Please help. I don't know what to do. 

31 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Hi,

I recently purchased one of these https://smile.amazon.com/Motherboard-Express-Graphics-Adapter-Machine/dp/B07571T721/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515049385&sr=1-1&keywords=Motherboard+PCI+Express+1+to+8+Mining+Riser+Card+PCI-E+x16 and I was hoping to use it to add more gpu's to my mining rig. I have an old x99 gaming system I wasn't using and it seems to have the PCIe lane support for it with an i7 5820k. I plugged the card in and connected my gpu's to the usb ports, but nothing is happening. There are some red led lights on the card, but other than that windows isn't detecting the cards at all. Do I need a driver for the pci extender or something? Please help. I don't know what to do. 

It should convert the 16 lanes into 8 2 lanes, but there is some PCIe to USB to PCIe stuff going on, how did you connect the GPUs to the USB connectors? Also do you have power going to the PCIe connector on those cards? Sometimes people forget to connect the power to the card from the slot. 

Yours faithfully

Yea it basic setup all you need to do is slot the card in in your 16 x PCI-E slot run the usb cable for the risers run the power from your PSU to your risers cards to provide power to the cards and to your  graphics cards  make sure that all correct.  

21 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It should convert the 16 lanes into 8 2 lanes, but there is some PCIe to USB to PCIe stuff going on, how did you connect the GPUs to the USB connectors? Also do you have power going to the PCIe connector on those cards? Sometimes people forget to connect the power to the card from the slot. 

I have a gpu sloted in the 16 lanes slot. Than under it I have the pcie extender card with all the riser cards connected to it. 

Just now, Pachuca said:

I have a gpu sloted in the 16 lanes slot. Than under it I have the pcie extender card with all the riser cards connected to it. 

Hmm, the 5820K only has 28 lanes, so it can't do 16 and 16, you will need to swap the cards around or set the PCIe extender as 16x, although it should work on 8x with 1x per port, it's always a good idea to check when trouble shooting. Do you have the power connected to the cards?

Yours faithfully

17 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Hmm, the 5820K only has 28 lanes, so it can't do 16 and 16, you will need to swap the cards around or set the PCIe extender as 16x, although it should work on 8x with 1x per port, it's always a good idea to check when trouble shooting. Do you have the power connected to the cards?

how do I do that? All power is connected. I sort of fixed the problem. I found online that the drivers need to be reinstalled. I uninstalled my drivers and now it's detecting the cards, but when I boot it says the system ran out of PCIe resources so I had to disable 2 cards. I would like to set it up so that each gpu will run 1x off the pci adapter card. 

Edit: in other words I have the main gpu connected in 16x than the pci adapter card should be 8x with each gpu coming off of it as 1x.

1 minute ago, Pachuca said:

how do I do that? All power is connected. I sort of fixed the problem. I found online that the drivers need to be reinstalled. I uninstalled my drivers and now it's detecting the cards, but when I boot it says the system ran out of PCIe resources so I had to disable 2 cards. I would like to set it up so that each gpu will run 1x off the pci adapter card. 

The top card usually gets assigned the most lanes, however you can tell the UEFI what to assign them on some boards (IE tell the PC the top GPU gets 8 lanes, the next GPU gets 4 and the last gets 16) 

I'm not sure how to configure that card. It in theory should take 1 8 lane, and spit out 8 1 lanes, but it seems there is some issue with it, however I have never personally used a device like this, I have only experience with PCIe to PCIe directly. There could be some BIOS tweaking needed. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

The top card usually gets assigned the most lanes, however you can tell the UEFI what to assign them on some boards (IE tell the PC the top GPU gets 8 lanes, the next GPU gets 4 and the last gets 16) 

I'm not sure how to configure that card. It in theory should take 1 8 lane, and spit out 8 1 lanes, but it seems there is some issue with it, however I have never personally used a device like this, I have only experience with PCIe to PCIe directly. There could be some BIOS tweaking needed. 

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure either so I'll try msi support tomorrow maybe they can help me configure the bios on the mobo.

are all the riser cards powered? like on the the circiut board the actual card plugs into there is a power plug of some kind, either Molex or SATA or a 6 pin or 8 pin or something like that, then added to that there are the actual power connectors for the video card itself.

22 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

are all the riser cards powered? like on the the circiut board the actual card plugs into there is a power plug of some kind, either Molex or SATA or a 6 pin or 8 pin or something like that, then added to that there are the actual power connectors for the video card itself.

yes, everything is plugged in. For some reason it just doesn't want to support more than 5 gpu's. I have it setup 16x/0x/8x/0x/0x according to my mobo manual. When I boot the system it says there are not enough pcie resources if I plug in more than 5 cards. 

46 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

This what the mobo manual has:

Capture.JPG.c8b7ab22706d86c9aa2373302c59976c.JPG

This is how my mobo is setup right now the blue is where the gpu is and the yellow is where the card sits.

Capture4.JPG.83bacfea387ba67a04b7ae8372edd17f.JPG

Am I doing something wrong?

if I'm reading that chart right maybe try moving the card in the yellow down 1 slot

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

if I'm reading that chart right maybe try moving the card in the yellow down 1 slot

I thought the same and did that originally, but it didn't detect anything that's why I put it in the slot where it is now.

1 minute ago, Pachuca said:

I thought the same and did that originally, but it didn't detect anything that's why I put it in the slot where it is now.

what about flipping the blue and yellow?

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

what about flipping the blue and yellow?

it won't fit there unless I mod the mobo, which is my last resort. I'll leave that project for tomorrow.