Connections for hard drive

SirFlamenco
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Nope, you need a SATA power from your PSU and a SATA data that goes to your motherboard.

Those little pins are a legacy thing, from when you had to set master and slave drives.

Hi, 

I just build my first pc and I am wondering if I forgot a cable for the hard drive. 

1B4B25D4-8464-4D77-8BD6-81D818C5A5C2.jpeg

So true it hurts

Nope, you need a SATA power from your PSU and a SATA data that goes to your motherboard.

Those little pins are a legacy thing, from when you had to set master and slave drives.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, SirFlamenco said:

Hi, I just build my first pc and I am wondering if I forgot a cable for the hard drive. 

You don't need to plug anything into that so don't worry. :)

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

It's a jumper block that goes unused in most cases. As long as you have power from your PSU and data to your mobo, you are perfectly fine.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

That's a common feature on many hard drives that you really never have to worry about!

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

That's not quite correct. For PATA (aka IDE) we used the pins and jumpers to set the drive to act as a master or slave which was a must for the parallel interface, as you said. But SATA (Serial ATA) interface doesn't have masters and slaves. The pins on SATA drives are for other, non-standard and manufacturer-specific, uses. Some utilize them to limit the power draw, some use it to cap the capacity, some are for throttling down the transfer speeds and so on and so forth, but again, not for a master/slave selection.

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

This gets me interested. Why would they add those jumper thingies? (btw, doesn't really look like jumpers, I can only see a single row while IDE had double row pins) And why I am so interested... SATA = 1 cable, one drive. No need to set master/slave/CS?!?