Razer blade Pro vs Macbook pro vs Aorus x9 vs other high end gaming laptop ( User Experiences)

Go to solution Solved by Airdragonz,

For gaming I would not get a MacBook pro. Aorus x9 might be the best for that of the three laptops you listed. As far as using one of those in a professional environment, I'd go with the MacBook pro over a gaming laptop decked out with RGB. 

Please give me your preference on these laptops (including customer service, warranty, quality controlling, etc) this will help to decide as I am gonna spend huge amount of money on them. Also I need a system that I can use on long term. Please help, Razer blade Pro vs Macbook pro vs Aorus x9 vs other high end gaming laptop  

THANK YOU 

For gaming I would not get a MacBook pro. Aorus x9 might be the best for that of the three laptops you listed. As far as using one of those in a professional environment, I'd go with the MacBook pro over a gaming laptop decked out with RGB. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

25 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Please give me your preference on these laptops (including customer service, warranty, quality controlling, etc) this will help to decide as I am gonna spend huge amount of money on them. Also I need a system that I can use on long term. Please help, Razer blade Pro vs Macbook pro vs Aorus x9 vs other high end gaming laptop  

THANK YOU 

budget? for gaming?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

long term

Business laptop is my choice if you want longevity

28 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

I need a laptop for professional use.

Look into workstation laptops like Lenovo P series, HP Zbook, Dell Precision etc

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I need a laptop for professional use.

3dcad? fem? video editing? what?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, sicily428 said:

3dcad? fem? video editing? what?

3D specifically. I use autodesk Maya, unity3d, cryengine,daz3D. 

8 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

budget?

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

High end Dell Precision M probably.

Razer should not even be jokingly considered for professional anything, they're disgustingly bad laptops.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

10 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Razer should not even be jokingly considered for professional anything, they're disgustingly bad laptops.

How? Why? Tech reviews all over the internet said that " Razer has the best price/performance ratio". 

6 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

How? Why? Tech reviews all over the internet said that " Razer has the best price/performance ratio". 

Bad internal quality, bad QC, bad support

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

13 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:
19 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Bad internal quality, bad QC, bad support

Have you ever used it ?? Review are pretty good though.

41 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Cause Razer sends reviewers the good models

15 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Cause Razer sends reviewers the good models

Oooh I see!!

The keyboard and trackpad are also garbage compared to high end laptops, why reviewers don't touch on it is beyond me.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The keyboard and trackpad are also garbage compared to high end laptops, why reviewers don't touch on it is beyond me.

That means Razer has a very poor quality control. And $4000 for a product that is not quality checked is not defined. Thanks for warning me about trash Razer products.

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

What about macbook pro for professional use??

What about macbook pros ?

4 hours ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

What about macbook pro for professional use??

Quadro/Reliability

Eurocom Tornado F5w

Eurocom Px7 pro

Eurocom  Sky X9W (Clevo P870DM)

Dell 7720

HP Zbook G4 17

Geforce/Performances

Eurocom Tornado F5 (4-cores desktop cpu)

Clevo P775TM (6-cores desktop cpu)

Clevo P870TM (6-cores desktop cpu)

MSI GT72VR 7RE

MSI GT73VR

Spoiler

12 hours ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

Because Razer cherry picks units, and if people badly review a Razer device they don't get any more units to review. They're literally not allowed to talk shit during the review.

The units are designed to overheat, the pascal chips are designed to have an extra-low performance compared to other units of the same kind, and still get extremely hot, the longevity is bad, the units are overpriced as hell, their components like RAM are soldered (and shit)... their support is garbage, their QC is even worse, they have something like an 80% RMA rate.

Razer makes the worst laptops bar none. PERIOD. But reviewers will always give them flying colours.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

51 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

the pascal chips are designed to have an extra-low performance compared to other units of the same kind

Source?

the units are overpriced as hell

Not really, they're just built/designed terribly. If Blades didn't have the thermal/quality control issues, then price wouldn't be a problem. 

they have something like an 80% RMA rate.

Again, source? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Source?

Not really, they're just built/designed terribly. If Blades didn't have the thermal/quality control issues, then price wouldn't be a problem. 

Again, source? 

1080N in the blade Pro is one of the worst performing 1080N cards to date. It frequently ends up similar to 1070 performance ranges in a lot of titles. You can see some pretty bad performance here https://www.anandtech.com/show/10922/the-2016-razer-blade-pro-review/4 and despite the fact that they claim no throttling, we all know that "no throttling" for these kinds of reviews mean "not under base clock", which isn't "no throttle". I mean the dude says a 2.6GHz i7-6700HQ was not a slouch, he clearly doesn't know his CPUs. Further you can see Linus' own review of it, where it has piss-poor performance in some titles, being up to a whole 25% behind other 1080s and 1080Ns: 

No, they're designed badly, and always have been designed badly.

Their models through the years have had poor construction and design and cooling and subsystem cooling, and the soldered RAM and single expansion slot on the 14" and only two M.2 slots on the 17" are pitiful. Especially when you realize that it was only late 2016 or so when we saw above 512GB maximum storage for M.2... you can't tell me you made a gaming unit that had 512GB maximum storage capacity and sold it for $2000 (with 128GB only, and a warranty voider if you change the storage) and call it a gaming unit? There were games in 2015 that were well over 50GB approaching 100GB; like Titanfall 1 with its free DLC (75GB), battlelfield 4 with its DLC (75GB), almost all the Final Fantasy PC games from X onward (60GB+ on average), GTA V (60GB+)... I mean no dude. No. Plus, you're trying to justify a $2000 single expansion slot entry level GPU and entry level gaming CPU, which is what the slow mobile intel chips are these days since desktop chips got much faster and notebook chips REDUCED in speed in response. Same story with the Aero 15 from Gigabyte, it's not worth it. It's overpriced. It will not be "worth it" until the price loses at least 25% of what they're asking and even then I know they're still overcharging. You can get a P650HS from Microcenter (1070N) for like $1300, and it's a far better unit, and most boutique sellers even have them starting at $1500+... that's a good indicator of how much people overcharge and the fact that Microcenter just doesn't actually care to do it.

As for the high RMA rate, I'll have to get back to you on the stats page (which is my bad for calling it without able to find the source) but you can in the meantime look at linus' own rates for their blade returns for all the blades they bought at the end of 2016

Linus_Razer_Blade_RMAs.jpg

That's 2 out of 13 units that "need" no RMA, and the ones that don't have RMAs pending also have issues as you can tell.

Edit: someone I know who's checked multiple of their units had this to say (I'm blocking their name for certain reasons, but the data is good).

image.png

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

1080N in the blade Pro is one of the worst performing 1080N cards to date. It frequently ends up similar to 1070 performance ranges in a lot of titles. You can see some pretty bad performance here https://www.anandtech.com/show/10922/the-2016-razer-blade-pro-review/4 and despite the fact that they claim no throttling, we all know that "no throttling" for these kinds of reviews mean "not under base clock", which isn't "no throttle". I mean the dude says a 2.6GHz i7-6700HQ was not a slouch, he clearly doesn't know his CPUs. Further you can see Linus' own review of it, where it has piss-poor performance in some titles, being up to a whole 25% behind other 1080s and 1080Ns: 

So they throttle. That's very different from "the pascal chips are designed to have an extra-low performance compared to other units of the same kind". You implied they use low quality/garbage grade silicon, when in fact the issue is thermal throttling (which is an issue I mentioned).

No, they're designed badly, and always have been designed badly.

I never said otherwise. 

Their models through the years have had poor construction and design and cooling and subsystem cooling, and the soldered RAM and single expansion slot on the 14" and only two M.2 slots on the 17" are pitiful. Especially when you realize that it was only late 2016 or so when we saw above 512GB maximum storage for M.2... you can't tell me you made a gaming unit that had 512GB maximum storage capacity and sold it for $2000 (with 128GB only, and a warranty voider if you change the storage) and call it a gaming unit? There were games in 2015 that were well over 50GB approaching 100GB; like Titanfall 1 with its free DLC (75GB), battlelfield 4 with its DLC (75GB), almost all the Final Fantasy PC games from X onward (60GB+ on average), GTA V (60GB+)... I mean no dude. No. Plus, you're trying to justify a $2000 single expansion slot entry level GPU and entry level gaming CPU, which is what the slow mobile intel chips are these days since desktop chips got much faster and notebook chips REDUCED in speed in response. Same story with the Aero 15 from Gigabyte, it's not worth it. It's overpriced. It will not be "worth it" until the price loses at least 25% of what they're asking and even then I know they're still overcharging. You can get a P650HS from Microcenter (1070N) for like $1300, and it's a far better unit, and most boutique sellers even have them starting at $1500+... that's a good indicator of how much people overcharge and the fact that Microcenter just doesn't actually care to do it.

They all come with the same 7700HQ, unless you're referring to the Stealth, which isn't a gaming laptop (and doesn't even have a dGPU). Not everyone needs more than 512gb of storage (even gamers), and the P650HS is much heavier and larger. Compare it to a laptop that is in the same market segment and the Blade isn't overpriced, just poorly built and poorly cooled. 

As for the high RMA rate, I'll have to get back to you on the stats page (which is my bad for calling it without able to find the source) but you can in the meantime look at linus' own rates for their blade returns for all the blades they bought at the end of 2016

Linus_Razer_Blade_RMAs.jpg

That's 2 out of 13 units that "need" no RMA, and the ones that don't have RMAs pending also have issues as you can tell.

Several of the issues are user-related -- bending in a backpack, chipping paint, and scratches. Thermal throttling isn't an RMA issue, just a poor cooling system. Several of the ones that were RMA'd have no mention of why they were. BSODs and random power ons can easily be attributed to a software error, and frankly, I don't trust Linus enough to actually rule those out. At the end of the day, a company that has an 80% RMA rate (or anything that stupidly high) is going to stop producing that product line very quickly.

I'm not saying the Blades make sense to buy, as they don't as they suffer from quality control, build quality, and thermal throttling issues. But they're not really overpriced and they definitely don't have an 80% failure rate. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So they throttle. That's very different from "the pascal chips are designed to have an extra-low performance compared to other units of the same kind". You implied they use low quality/garbage grade silicon, when in fact the issue is thermal throttling (which is an issue I mentioned).

I never said otherwise. 

They all come with the same 7700HQ, unless you're referring to the Stealth, which isn't a gaming laptop (and doesn't even have a dGPU). Not everyone needs more than 512gb of storage (even gamers), and the P650HS is much heavier and larger. Compare it to a laptop that is in the same market segment and the Blade isn't overpriced, just poorly built and poorly cooled. 

Several of the issues are user-related -- bending in a backpack, chipping paint, and scratches. Thermal throttling isn't an RMA issue, just a poor cooling system. Several of the ones that were RMA'd have no mention of why they were. BSODs and random power ons can easily be attributed to a software error, and frankly, I don't trust Linus enough to actually rule those out. At the end of the day, a company that has an 80% RMA rate (or anything that stupidly high) is going to stop producing that product line very quickly.

I'm not saying the Blades make sense to buy, as they don't as they suffer from quality control, build quality, and thermal throttling issues. But they're not really overpriced and they definitely don't have an 80% failure rate. 

Ok, you're a fanboy. I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Do enjoy your overpriced stoves