GPU waterblock plug keeps leaking.

On my ek fluidgaming a240g waterblock one of the plugs on the gpu block keeps leaking. I took it out, dried it, dried the o ring, dried where it connects, and leak tested for 12 hours. It was fine during that 12 hours but now it is leaking again. I am tired of dealing with leaks and it is only my second day of doing any kind of watercooling.

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

Get a new plug or new waterblock. Try testing both to make sure you're replacing the correct part. You can always get a refund if it doesn't need replacing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, DarthSmartt said:

On my ek fluidgaming a240g waterblock one of the plugs on the gpu block keeps leaking. I took it out, dried it, dried the o ring, dried where it connects, and leak tested for 12 hours. It was fine during that 12 hours but now it is leaking again. I am tired of dealing with leaks and it is only my second day of doing any kind of watercooling.

sounds like you have a few problems surrounding your build....

could you provide the following photos?

1. picture of the leak itself

2. picture of the threads and o-ring of the stop plug

3. picture of the threads inside the you block.

Usually a leak is either a loose stop plug or an overtightened one that has stripped the threads.

1 hour ago, DarthSmartt said:

It sounds like the O-ring or the threads itself are damaged and not able to apply enough pressure to seal it. As said if you can take a photo of the leak and all the components separately that will help greatly. 

as a temp fix you can use the plumbers tape(white really thin) thats used to seal screw joints on pipes, chances are its the o-ring that needs replacing or the threads are damaged. Its called PTFE tape here in uk

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

sounds like you have a few problems surrounding your build....

could you provide the following photos?

1. picture of the leak itself

2. picture of the threads and o-ring of the stop plug

3. picture of the threads inside the you block.

Usually a leak is either a loose stop plug or an overtightened one that has stripped the threads.

I think I’ll call up ek to see if I can get a new block and plug since the plug looks fine. I’ll use the Teflon tape method for now.

Build:                                                                          

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Primochill Vue Red fluid

32 minutes ago, Brett_UK said:

as a temp fix you can use the plumbers tape(white really thin) thats used to seal screw joints on pipes, chances are its the o-ring that needs replacing or the threads are damaged. Its called PTFE tape here in uk

That is exactly what I’ll do. Thanks! Also in the US it is called Teflon tape.

Build:                                                                          

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Primochill Vue Red fluid

You sure you didn’t damage it? A lot of people having issues with the kit lately. Being a cheap introduction to water cooling, seeing slot of mistakes along the way. 

Ended up cracking one of my cpu blocked. Used some tape to seal it up. Don’t use the tape any more since I swapped fittings and the leak hasn’t came back. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

14 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

You sure you didn’t damage it? A lot of people having issues with the kit lately. Being a cheap introduction to water cooling, seeing slot of mistakes along the way. 

Ended up cracking one of my cpu blocked. Used some tape to seal it up. Don’t use the tape any more since I swapped fittings and the leak hasn’t came back. 

I dont think I broke it. There are no obvious signs of cracking or stripped threads. I did the teflon tape thing and it seems to be sealing it so far. Fingers crossed.

Build:                                                                          

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Primochill Vue Red fluid

• 5 weeks later...

Did you manage to resolve this? I have the same issue. The plugs keep leaking. 

Replace the o-ring.  A lot of waterblock mfg's will include orings that are basically one-time-use because they're very thin diameter cross section that gets compressed once and then it's permanently deformed and poor-sealing.

The *first* thing I do with every fitting is replace the o-ring with one of my own.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)