how many watts would i need?

showerhandle

so i am building an overclock water cooling build. i have i5 8600k and a r9 290x and plan on overclocking them both. How many watts do you think i would need to be safe without going overkill.  

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

600-750

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, showerhandle said:

so i am building an overclock water cooling build. i have i5 8600k and a r9 290x and plan on overclocking them both. How many watts do you think i would need to be safe without going overkill.  

A 290X can draw 300W on it's own while an 8600K might draw maybe 150, both overclocked. A 550W would be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, showerhandle said:

550W to be on the safe side...

Since you can't overclock th 290X well without increasing the powerconsumption dramatically, it isn't really worth it at alll.

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

600-750

4 hours ago, Kristoffer Gregersen said:

I would say 600-700

Why do you say that?
How do you come to that conclusion?!

700-750W is nothing one with a single GPU/CPU system should ever recommend!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why do you say that?
How do you come to that conclusion?!

700-750W is nothing one with a single GPU/CPU system should ever recommend!

Because the 290X uses 300-400W when overclocked :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Pangea2017 said:

Pushing the psu to the limit will result in fan noise. Going with a "too" large psu can help while beeing cheap.

That's nonsense!

And violates the laws of thermodynamics!!

Just think about it for a minute.

You have two PSU, identical plattform, identical heatsinks. Similar efficiency.

How the hell can the 'larger one' be quieter than the smaller one?!

Sorry, but why don't you go with a  1kW unit?? 
Something that starts the fan at 1000rpm because it is larger, lighter loaded and the 140mm fan at 900rpm has to be more silent than a 550W at 550W load with a fan spinning at 700rpm, doesn't it?!

So you are sugesting a 750W budget unit like Corsair CX instead of a 550W quality one like Corsair RMx, be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 and similar, do you?

And what do you say that manufacturers advertize their decent/better PSU with 100% load, 24/7?

Like Bitfenix does with both their Whisper M and Formula series. They even write it on the Box!!

And why should the 850W be more quiet than the 450W under any circumstance when they use the same plattform, heatsings and so on?

Using a 600W to 750W sounds about right. 

Your 8700K would top out at around 105W if you lucked out on the silicon lottery and managed to push it to 5GHz. Your 280X will also top out at 300W, actually 280W is more likely but let's go with the max, Let's put your pump's requirement at 10W continuous. The motherboard and the rest of your components (ie drives, fans, etc.) would be around 80W. That's 495W on paper, but in reality, your system should be consuming around 380W to 420W. I would guess even lower since your components will not always operate at max power requirement all the time, and majority of them will be at their minimum power need. That's the reason why I think 600W to 750W is adequate. 

But bear this mind, wattage is only half the game. For serious overclocking, power efficiency is rarely an issue. It's more important to choose a PSU that will deliver clean and steady power. Money is spent on reliability rather than wattage. 

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ever heard of efficiency curves? Most power supplies are most efficient at 45-60% load. A 1kW unit would be most efficient for a system that uses ~600 watts, as long as that load is maintained and not just the peaks. Sure it might be overkill for actually powering the components, but for those with expensive electricity or miners I would recommend a higher wattage PSU than just the minimum for requirements.

18 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

Ever heard of efficiency curves? Most power supplies are most efficient at 45-60% load. A 1kW unit would be most efficient for a system that uses ~600 watts, as long as that load is maintained and not just the peaks. Sure it might be overkill for actually powering the components, but for those with expensive electricity or miners I would recommend a higher wattage PSU than just the minimum for requirements.

The difference in efficiency between a 50% load and a 100% load is 3 points. Nothing that actually matters for a gaming rig. It's better to just get a decent PSU

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Nothing that actually matters for a gaming rig.

Yeah true, but a gaming rig is likely to have audio too meaning the fan noise previously discussed wouldn't be a problem either

2 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

Yeah true, but a gaming rig is likely to have audio too meaning the fan noise previously discussed wouldn't be a problem either

Why not get a quiet PSU, if that's the concern? Getting a quiet PSU makes more sense than a PSU with overkill wattage, if noise is the concern. 

:)

54 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

Ever heard of efficiency curves?

YOU don't understand what I was saying because efficiency isn't something this discussion was about. What you are doing right now is changing the subject because I got you cornered and you lost the argument.

That's a bad style.

Most power supplies are most efficient at 45-60% load.

30-70%. Cooler Master V-Series is on the lower end for example.

A 1kW unit would be most efficient for a system that uses ~600 watts, as long as that load is maintained and not just the peaks. Sure it might be overkill for actually powering the components, but for those with expensive electricity or miners I would recommend a higher wattage PSU than just the minimum for requirements.

That is not what we were talking about!

We were talking about fanspeed and that if a PSU is loaded the fan will get loud. Wich is Nonsense. ANd now you are talking about some other things that have nothing to do with the initial argument at all...

And you are forgetting that we were initially talking about 550W PSU. And that you were wrong.

4 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

yes efficacy will sufer a lot and there will be more heat which have to be disposed but on the other side PSU are designed to handle a specific heat. With larger PSU there is even with high efficacy more heat. This mean they build more capable solutions which CAN be more quiet for the same load.

In most cases they use a faster spinning fan and don't change the heatsinks at all.

Bitfenix Whisper M and Formula is such an example. The 650W and up (Whisper M) has a way higher fan RPM under lower loads than the 450 and 550W.

We are talking about ~400rpm for the smaller ones AFAIR and around 700rpm for the bigger ones.

And sometimes a company uses the same fan from 550 to 1000W for whatever reason...

Example: 300W which is a good gaming system (most system out there are more like 200W or below). 

PSU 1: BeQuiet! Pure power 10 (300W Workload)

300W 13.20 dB

600W 12.50 dB

=> no noise reduction by going larger

Pure Power 10 changes the Plattform at 400W.

The 300 and 350W are based on an ancient FSP Plattform called APN/EPN and this plattform didn't change much since the orignal Pure Power S6 was introduced back in the day.

The 400W however uses a completely different plattform wich is more efficient and uses some kind of indepentent regulation for minor rails.

So you are talking about two different units.

Why not use the Bitfenix Whisper M Series?
Or the Formula??

in general many PSU are getting rapidly louder if you pass a certian amount of Power

In general that's a lie because, in general, you have to look at the fan curves of the PSU you want to buy!

You can and must not generalize it in any way. You have to know your stuff!

And you have to know what you are comparing, are you comparing two completely different units or is it the same one with a bit more watt.

That's the 300/350W Pure Power 10:

https://www.computerbase.de/2013-06/be-quiet-system-power-7-350-watt-test/3/

The 400W and up looks like that:
http://www.tweakpc.de/forum/netzteile/106324-userreview-quiet-pure-power-10-400w.html#post842064

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And you are forgetting that we were initially talking about 550W PSU. And that you were wrong.

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If I remember correctly, you're the one who mentioned a 1kW PSU, in a way that mocked the idea of getting one. Which you followed up with talking about how a better quality 550W PSU is better than a budget 750W PSU (which I agree with for this scenario), and so I wanted to mention a relevant topic that you didn't account for in your argument. No-one said you can't have the best of both worlds, good quality and high wattage.

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

and you lost the argument.

That's a bad style.

Argument? I thought we were trying to pool info for the guy that asked a question. Like I said before, I only added info that you omitted while borderline mocking the idea of getting a high wattage PSU. No need to get so defensive, I'm not out to get you.