Question about MSI warranty. I need advice.

JEW UNIT NY

Happy New Years! I have a few questions about the warranties for MSI graphics cards.

Does anybody know what the warranty for MSI graphics cards? I have a GTX 980 TI I bought in February 2016 and now I'm having major issues with the graphics cards. 2/3 of the display ports have issues (it's flickering with one of my monitors and/or going completely off and then turns on). I narrowed it down to my graphics card by test it, the monitors I have, and a new DP cable.

I use a dual monitor set up for school work (and gaming when I'm on break).

What is the warranty does MSI have?

It looks like the card I have discontinued (MFR # GTX 980TI GAMING 6G), what can they do for me?

Has anybody had any issues with MSI on getting their products fixed/replaced?

If it helps, this is my rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LvWD4D

Thank you for reading this. Hope to hear from you soon.

Why don't you contact them and ask them if you can RMA?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why don't you contact them and ask them if you can RMA?

Well, I was going to do that on Tuesday. This is my first gaming rig, so I don’t know what to expect from contacting MSI and RMAing a product. That is why I asked to see if I can see if I’m going to have a hard time with them. I don't know if they are going to replace it or fix it and  how long it will take from them to do it. 

Before rma you could try changing the refresh rate of the monitor, changing the cable to something with higher transfer rate as well as driver updates/rollback.  I believe there may even be a hot fix out there for this issue.  What are your monitors?

8 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

Before rma you could try changing the refresh rate of the monitor, changing the cable to something with higher transfer rate as well as driver updates/rollback.  I believe there may even be a hot fix out there for this issue.

I did do that and my drivers are up to date. 

As far as I'm concerned, MSI has a 3 year warranty on their graphics cards. I'm not sure if they have different warranty periods depending on the region, but I've never seen anything else than 3.

As for an RMA, you should get in contact with the retailer first, as it is usually up to them to decide what happens if the graphics card is scrapped. If you were to get a replacement I would be assuming it's a GTX 1070 as it's the closest performing equivalent. 

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, xaeleep said:

As far as I'm concerned, MSI has a 3 year warranty on their graphics cards. I'm not sure if they have different warranty periods depending on the region, but I've never seen anything else than 3.

As for an RMA, you should get in contact with the retailer first, as it is usually up to them to decide what happens if the graphics card is scrapped. If you were to get a replacement I would be assuming it's a GTX 1070 as it's the closest performing equivalent. 

Cheers.

Thank you for the response. I bought the graphics card from bhvideophoto.com. So, are you saying to give them a call and see if I can get a  replacement? It’s a video card from February 2016 (way past 30 days from purchase date :P). What should I ask them? How is it possible to get a replacement?

17 minutes ago, JEW UNIT NY said:

Thank you for the response. I bought the graphics card from bhvideophoto.com. So, are you saying to give them a call and see if I can get a  replacement? It’s a video card from February 2016 (way past 30 days from purchase date :P). What should I ask them? How is it possible to get a replacement?

It's not a website I'm familiar with, so I can't speak for how good their customer service is, but I'd start with them. Simply tell them that you're having issues with the card, and go through what you've done in terms of trouble-shooting. Again, depending on the country/region they might refer you to MSI if their own RMA department doesn't handle graphics cards, but most resellers worth their salt do.

Most of the time you simply ship the graphics card to the reseller, they'll take a look at it and try to recreate your problem. Graphics cards aren't really serviced or repaired, but will be replaced by the reseller if it's covered by warranty. Where I work it usually takes 2-3 days for us to send a replacement from when we've received a defective card, but that depends on the RMA department, of course.

8 minutes ago, xaeleep said:

It's not a website I'm familiar with, so I can't speak for how good their customer service is, but I'd start with them. Simply tell them that you're having issues with the card, and go through what you've done in terms of trouble-shooting. Again, depending on the country/region they might refer you to MSI if their own RMA department doesn't handle graphics cards, but most resellers worth their salt do.

Most of the time you simply ship the graphics card to the reseller, they'll take a look at it and try to recreate your problem. Graphics cards aren't really serviced or repaired, but will be replaced by the reseller if it's covered by warranty. Where I work it usually takes 2-3 days for us to send a replacement from when we've received a defective card, but that depends on the RMA department, of course.

Alright. Thank you for the advice. That’s something that wouldn’t cross my mind to do :P. Thank you for the advice I’ll try that first on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, JEW UNIT NY said:

Happy New Years! I have a few questions about the warranties for MSI graphics cards.

Does anybody know what the warranty for MSI graphics cards? I have a GTX 980 TI I bought in February 2016 and now I'm having major issues with the graphics cards. 2/3 of the display ports have issues (it's flickering with one of my monitors and/or going completely off and then turns on). I narrowed it down to my graphics card by test it, the monitors I have, and a new DP cable.

I use a dual monitor set up for school work (and gaming when I'm on break).

What is the warranty does MSI have?

It looks like the card I have discontinued (MFR # GTX 980TI GAMING 6G), what can they do for me?

Has anybody had any issues with MSI on getting their products fixed/replaced?

If it helps, this is my rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LvWD4D

Thank you for reading this. Hope to hear from you soon.

Before you ship things off... try connecting via HDMI. Displayport sometimes seems to go to hell randomly. If the HDMI plug works fine, then uninstall and reinstall your gpu driver. Generally seems to fix the issue.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS