AutoCad and Agisoft Photoscan build

tiptop

I will primarily be using the computer for CAD work with 3-d modeling and point clouds (so I need high clock speeds). Within the next year I will also be using it with Agisoft Photoscan (cpu and gpu intensive so I need multiple cores). I realize that the configurations for each of those applications are very different, but am looking for some recommendations for a system that will work well for both. I plan on adding a second graphics card in the future to speed up the Photoscan so I need to allow for that. I am not sure which graphics card and cpu cooler I should go with. Does this configuration look like it will work well for what I am trying to do? I'm trying to keep my budget around $2500. Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tiptopper/saved/#view=mWGNNG

Looks pretty solid.

You should be able to get a 1080ti for ~300 more than your original budget (#2600 total). Speed improvement might be worth it.

I'd personally go with a beefier CPU cooler such as Noctua's DH-15 or the Dark Rock Pro 3.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

9 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

Looks pretty solid.

You should be able to get a 1080ti for ~300 more than your original budget (#2600 total). Speed improvement might be worth it.

I'd personally go with a beefier CPU cooler such as Noctua's DH-15 or the Dark Rock Pro 3.

Thanks for the suggestions. What speed of ram do you think I should go with? Can I save any money on the SSD I have chosen? Do I need or be able to utilize the speed of the M2 one?

The psu does not have enough capacity to comfortably handle a second GTX 1080 Ti gpu.

When buying memory for quad channel use it is best to get a quad channel kit, i.e. 4x8GB, rather than two dual channel kits. With dual channel kits there is a small possibility that they will not work in quad channel.

The cpu memory controller handles DDR4-2666 at stock.

I doubt that the NVMe drive will provide a noticeable performance improvement. 

Windows 10 OEM license does not permit use in a DIY build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($568.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($87.95 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI - X299 SLI PLUS ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  ($231.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($384.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($749.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  ($189.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $2532.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-30 11:13 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

13 hours ago, brob said:

The psu does not have enough capacity to comfortably handle a second GTX 1080 Ti gpu.

When buying memory for quad channel use it is best to get a quad channel kit, i.e. 4x8GB, rather than two dual channel kits. With dual channel kits there is a small possibility that they will not work in quad channel.

The cpu memory controller handles DDR4-2666 at stock.

I doubt that the NVMe drive will provide a noticeable performance improvement. 

Windows 10 OEM license does not permit use in a DIY build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($568.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($87.95 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI - X299 SLI PLUS ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  ($231.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($384.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($749.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  ($189.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $2532.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-30 11:13 EST-0500

Thanks for your help. I am a little confused about the ram. If I go with what you suggested, can I add another 4 modules in the future or would I have to replace what I put in now?

9 hours ago, tiptop said:

Thanks for your help. I am a little confused about the ram. If I go with what you suggested, can I add another 4 modules in the future or would I have to replace what I put in now?

No. Most X299 motherboards have eight memory slots. Adding more memory consists of getting another quad channel kit and inserting the modules into the empty slots.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.