PWM or FLX for Airflow

Jz1
Go to solution Solved by Jz1,
41 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

In that case, go with the cheaper fan model and use the fan controller for them. 

If you want the rear exhaust fan to react to cpu temps, you can get the pwm variant and plug that into the open pwm fan header on your motherboard. 

Thats actually quite smart, I think I will go with that setup.

So I have a Fractal Define R5 and I'm going to get 2 140mm NF-A14s for the front, one in the back,  and one at the bottom for intake because I have 2 980 ti's now. I was curious to know if the PWM version performs better?

I know that PWM is intended for motherboard interaction and I don't really want to bother with any of that. The PWM version runs at 1500 RPM max and the FLX version runs at 1200 RPM max.

If I have a fan controller which version should I get?

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

From what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong, but FLX fans have 3 speeds whereas PWM fans has finer control because it's connected to the motherboard header.  Personally, if you like a quieter rig, using a PWM fan is definitely probably going to be your best bet.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

56 minutes ago, Zmax said:

I believe you are correct. The minus of PWM is that you need a controler , that will regulate the pulse.  The price will vary. But they are a bit more expensive

Controller's aren't too expensive right?  The SilverStone PWM fan hub is about $15 if I recall correctly.  I'd definitely pay that much for a little extra control over my fans.  I have PWM fans.  :3

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 Ghz Quad-core  Motherboard: Dell 088DT1  RAM: Generic Dell 2x4 GB DDR3  GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Superclocked  Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C - White (with Cooler Master LED Strips)  Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1 TB  PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W  Monitor: Asus VS247H-P - 23.6 Inch  Cooling: 3x Corsair AF120 and 3x Corsair SP120 Case Fans  Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Corsair MM300 Gaming Mouse Pad)  Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Surround Sound Headset  OS: Windows 10

So I should get the PWM ones and also a fan controller? then how would I go about controlling them?

12 hours ago, Zmax said:

I believe you are correct. The minus of PWM is that you need a controler , that will regulate the pulse.  The price will vary. But they are a bit more expensive

Lol, you are bit off track there. Most modern mobo's have at least one header with full PWM controls. Newest have all or almost all headers with PWM. Getting actual controller (not hub) is harder to find. Most controllers are for 3pins.

9 hours ago, Sabron said:

So I should get the PWM ones and also a fan controller? then how would I go about controlling them?

Which mobo do you have? You have bit older hardware, but should have at least that one PWM header for CPU cooler.

It's really up to you how you want to have controls. If you only have one PWM header, then all fans will follow CPU temps with same curve as CPU cooler. If you have more PWM headees, then that's not issue. You can run 3pins with mobo control too. Either with mobo software/BIOS or with SpeedFan. I wouldn't get separate controllee. Those are more for show than anything else today.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which mobo do you have? You have bit older hardware, but should have at least that one PWM header for CPU cooler.

It's really up to you how you want to have controls. If you only have one PWM header, then all fans will follow CPU temps with same curve as CPU cooler. If you have more PWM headees, then that's not issue. You can run 3pins with mobo control too. Either with mobo software/BIOS or with SpeedFan. I wouldn't get separate controllee. Those are more for show than anything else today.

I stand corrected . It will depend on his system and the way he want to control the fans

What MB do you have  I have just check the Asus .Rog Hero and it as 6 fan connection  PWM / DC.

I will depend on the board.

11 hours ago, Sabron said:

I believe there is software out there to control fan curves and speeds.

12 hours ago, Sabron said:

Before you buy anything look at your MB and see what is available.

It`s possible to use the fan in your case 

The FLX and PWM versions perform the same at the same rpm. 

Which one you should go with depends on which type of control is most convenient. 

What motherboard and fan controller do you have?

@Zmax FYI, you can use the edit button to add things instead of making more posts. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Lol, you are bit off track there. Most modern mobo's have at least one header with full PWM controls. Newest have all or almost all headers with PWM. Getting actual controller (not hub) is harder to find. Most controllers are for 3pins.

Hi, thanks for clearing things up. My mobo has 2 4 PIN FAN headers. 1 that is already occupied by the cpu. So If I was to purchase a PWM fan hub and connect it to the spare 4 pin header would everything be settled in the connection/wires/ department?

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The FLX and PWM versions perform the same at the same rpm. 

Which one you should go with depends on which type of control is most convenient. 

What motherboard and fan controller do you have?

@Zmax FYI, you can use the edit button to add things instead of making more posts. 

Hi, I had a look on noctua's website and according to their NF-A14 the PWM version runs 300 rpm higher (1500) and produces a higher CFM.

10 hours ago, Zmax said:

I stand corrected . It will depend on his system and the way he want to control the fans

What MB do you have  I have just check the Asus .Rog Hero and it as 6 fan connection  PWM / DC.

I will depend on the board.

I have an old Z68 board which has 2 PWM fan headers (1 is occupied for cpu) so that leaves me with 1 only.

3 minutes ago, Sabron said:

Hi, I had a look on noctua's website and according to their NF-A14 the PWM version runs 300 rpm higher (1500) and produces a higher CFM.

I said they perform the same at the same rpm. 

The pwm variant does reach a higher rpm which is fine if you need the extra cooling but it's usually unnecessary and it makes sense to run the fan at lower rpm if you're aiming for quiet. 

What fan controller do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I said they perform the same at the same rpm. 

The pwm variant does reach a higher rpm which is fine if you need the extra cooling but it's usually unnecessary and it makes sense to run the fan at lower rpm if you're aiming for quiet. 

What fan controller do you have?

My bad, I have the NZXT Sentry 3.

Just now, Sabron said:

My bad, I have the NZXT Sentry 3.

In that case, go with the cheaper fan model and use the fan controller for them. 

If you want the rear exhaust fan to react to cpu temps, you can get the pwm variant and plug that into the open pwm fan header on your motherboard. 

41 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thats actually quite smart, I think I will go with that setup.