DIY PSU Cables

Faallen

Hello,

I'm building a new PC for myself first time doing all the work myself. I'm still waiting on modular PSU and PETG tubes, everything is slow around Christmas.Any way, I want to go with custom cables, build them from scratch. Can you recommend from where to buy parts for the cables, I live in Denmark. Also any feedback on the setup is welcome :) Also any ideas on how to hide the cables on top of the PSU shroud?

Specs:

CPU: i7-8700k

Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING

RAM: Corsair Dominato Platinum 3000 16GB

Graphics card: Gygabyte 1050 Ti (Changing that to 1080 ti or next gen when it comes out)

20171220_003010.jpg

20171220_003045.jpg

20171223_235336.jpg

20171224_001100.jpg

You can order them from CABLEMOD but not sure if they ship to denmark though

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

I can't make any recommendations unfortunately, but a word of caution:

The PSU cables are one of the most important parts relative to your computer's survival. DIYing them should be done with extreme care, lest a bad connection kills the PSU or some other component with undervoltage, or a short circuit. If you're gonna do it, make sure you're very savvy with both soldering electronics and how a PSU works (which cable goes where).

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I would do this honestly, but I wouldn't hate you for wanting to do it yourself :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 minutes ago, Faallen said:

Hello,

I'm building a new PC for myself first time doing all the work myself. I'm still waiting on modular PSU and PETG tubes, everything is slow around Christmas.Any way, I want to go with custom cables, build them from scratch. Can you recommend from where to buy parts for the cables, I live in Denmark. Also any feedback on the setup is welcome :) Also any ideas on how to hide the cables on top of the PSU shroud?

Mod-One.com is the place where I order most of my supplies from(They ship world Wide). If you want gold plated versions of the terminals you will have to order them from Mouser.com.

https://www.cable-sleeving.com/

This is the Webstore for MDPC-X (Best Sleeving around). They sell most of the supplies you need.

Sleeving Shops:

https://purple-banana.de/

https://www.caseking.de/en/brands/mdpc-x

https://www.custompc.com.cy/modding/mdpc-x/

https://www.singularitycomputers.com/mdpc-x

You can also buy 99% of all you need from Mouser.com if you got the Item ID (If you go this way and need the ID, I help if the site is a bit confusing.

You can get most of the Product ID's from Molex.com (It's from Mini Fit Jr. Series).

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

12 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

You are aware he said he wants to build the cables from Scratch not pre-made cables.

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I can't make any recommendations unfortunately, but a word of caution:

The PSU cables are one of the most important parts relative to your computer's survival. DIYing them should be done with extreme care, lest a bad connection kills the PSU or some other component with undervoltage, or a short circuit. If you're gonna do it, make sure you're very savvy with both soldering electronics and how a PSU works (which cable goes where).

I would do this honestly, but I wouldn't hate you for wanting to do it yourself :)

Most PSU these days have fail safes, If the wrong voltage is registered the PSU will cut the power before the current reaches the Motherboard and PSU will remain in shutdown state for 2 mins.

Soldering is not 100% required, there are other ways in creating those Y cables.

If you have a PSU tester and sometimes a Multimeter you can make sure everything checks out before attaching it to the PC parts.

-----

Hand Crafted Cables will always be superior, Plus they just look better. Plus you learn something in the process.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Most PSU these days have fail safes, If the wrong voltage is registered the PSU will cut the power before the current reaches the Motherboard and PSU will remain in shutdown state for 2 mins.

I'm covering for those PSUs that don't :P

A lot of the times with low-ish end PSUs they will advertise all the protection circuits but might be missing some of them.

2 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

If you have a PSU tester and sometimes a Multimeter you can make sure everything checks out before attaching it to the PC parts.

I agree that this should be done.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR