Blue light on my PS4. Is it dead?

mkil5

My PS4 had been giving me problems about incorrect shutdown procedures.  But they were never a problem.

Well tonight, the PS4 wouldn't shut off correctly.  It was taking forever, I just unplugged it.  So naturally I rechecked it.  Now there is just a blue light on the middle of the console when I boot it up.  Nothing is displayed on the TV at all.  A disc will eject.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Edit:

I have done more researching on it, but the blue light appears to be a situation where the PS4 turns off after a few seconds.  That is not the case with me, it will stay blue for as long as its on until i unplug the power.

There seems to be multiple things that can cause it. The easiest thing to check seems to be the hard drive. I'd pull it out and reseat it first. If that works, yay! If not, try using a spare and see if it starts with that.

I also found a list of troubleshooting measures. Read through this and see if it helps:

http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-fix-ps4-blue-light-of-death/2165

Yep, that would be my guess too.

Remove the drive and see what happens...

My PS4 had been giving me problems about incorrect shutdown procedures.  But they were never a problem.

Well tonight, the PS4 wouldn't shut off correctly.  It was taking forever, I just unplugged it.  So naturally I rechecked it.  Now there is just a blue light on the middle of the console when I boot it up.  Nothing is displayed on the TV at all.  A disc will eject.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Yeah, Harddrive is toast.

Remove it and see if there is an error message on the screen.

If not, you got a problem.

If there is, you need to replace the drive - at least 500GB, better 1TB either SSD or HDD...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yep, that would be my guess too.

Remove the drive and see what happens...

Yeah, Harddrive is toast.

Remove it and see if there is an error message on the screen.

If not, you got a problem.

If there is, you need to replace the drive - at least 500GB, better 1TB either SSD or HDD...

Thanks for the reply.  However, I unplugged the hard drive.  Nothing on screen, only a blue light.  Put the hard drive back in and had the same result.

In a few days, I am going to do a PSU swap with a friend's PS4 to see if that may be the problem.  Any other ideas?

Thanks