WINDOWS 8 CD KEY FOR WINDOWS 10

Hey guys,

i am currently planning to install windows 10 on my new pc using usb flash drive(media creation tool). At the point where it ask to enter product key,

will it be fine if i put my windows 8 cd key instead; will it work? i currently have one lying around and i don't want it to go waste. also i heard windows 10 will only be free

till this December.

2 minutes ago, Ash.J said:

Hey guys,

i am currently planning to install windows 10 on my new pc using usb flash drive(media creation tool). At the point where it ask to enter product key,

will it be fine if i put my windows 8 cd key instead; will it work? i currently have one lying around and i don't want it to go waste. also i heard windows 10 will only be free

till this December.

install windows 8, do the free 10 install...

MF UH BEANS

1 minute ago, aries757 said:

Not really much point in doing that when a Windows 8 key should work for a Windows 10 install. Adding an extra step for no reason. 

You can't. Microsoft ended the period when you could install for free.

yea, that was my second option. but it takes a lot of time

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Not really much point in doing that when a Windows 8 key should work for a Windows 10 install. Adding an extra step for no reason. 

Just now, Classifier_66 said:

i did not know, i remembered when i had my laptop and i tried windows 10 from 8, it worked but idk...

MF UH BEANS

Win10 will accept Win7, Win8, and Win8.1 keys.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, Classifier_66 said:

according to cnet its till Dec 31

7 minutes ago, Ash.J said:

Hey guys,

till this December.

4 minutes ago, aries757 said:

This;

2 minutes ago, Classifier_66 said:

Microsoft stopped the free upgrade after one year and that was over a year ago.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, Ash.J said:

That is for assistive tech only or for handi-capped folks not for regular distribution.

Discussing or suggesting it to be used in this manner is illegal and against the CS.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have used a Windows 7 key on a Windows 10 install this summer, still works.  The Dec 31 may only be for the assistive technologies upgrade from Within Windows.  Just download Windows 10 to usb key, Enter Windows 7 key when asked....

Just now, Ash.J said:

1 minute ago, Ash.J said:

3 minutes ago, Classifier_66 said:

Link?

4 minutes ago, Ash.J said:

according to cnet its till Dec 31

It is mentioning that you can use an exploit where you can download win 10 for people with disabilities(has more features) for free but microsoft does not cehck if you are using those features.

If you have not upgraded Windows 8 to 10 with that license installed in the past, it's a W8 key and not a W10 key and thus will not work.

Microsoft has ended the W7/8/8.1 to 10 upgrade a long time ago.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If your old system was a manufacturer install of win8 . Your key won`t work on a new system. 

You need a retail ( store bough ) win 8 or 7 for that key to work.

You can try. 

Recently had a similar situation. Got walked through moving my OS from an SSD to an M.2 SSD and during that I activated windows using a Windows 8.1 key I had lying around. You should be fine.

4 minutes ago, Classifier_66 said:

It is mentioning that you can use an exploit where you can download win 10 for people with disabilities(has more features) for free but microsoft does not cehck if you are using those features.

Yes there is an exploit but it is considered pirating.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yes there is an exploit but it is considered pirating.

not really as you get the OS from microsoft's website.

and for some reason when I made an answer this question blew up

Just now, Classifier_66 said:

not really as you get the OS from microsoft's website.

Using a software for not-the-intended-purpose and as Microsoft has stated (ill have to find the link again) is considered pirating since the free upgrade program has ended.

So yes it is pirating.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@Classifier_66 An article for you to read while I find the statement from MS

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-blocking-free-windows-10-upgrade-assistive-technology/

*edit 

here we go... one of them posted in Reddit.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Do you have a date on that posting. 

The date is in the post … 

If anyone wants a Free Legitimate copy of Windows 10 you may download the ISO for free at 

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

The only thing is you have to join the program.

Otherwise pay for the license and use it accordingly.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER