Ps4 slim or PS4 Pro.

Hya!

So i am curious as what you guys think i should buy. A local store over here will sell the PS4 slim for 185€ starting from tomorrow until the end of the weekend. Fun things is, i work there s o i get a 20% discount (Which will make it around 150€). But, since i am the kind of person who always wants the best. I am also considering buying a barebones PS4 Pro (For 299€ which includes my discount). Thing is i don't have a 4K display/TV but i know it still makes some difference even on FullHD tv's. So what do you guys think i should buy? Just play it safe and take the pro or save some money and buy the slim?

Thanks in advance!

If you play a lot on consoles I'd take the PRO, but if you play casually and without UHD TV I'd choose the Slim.

There is no HUGE difference. I've seen both and I could live with the slim lol.

But do you want to plug in a audio system? As I know the slim doesnt have the port for it, or am I wrong?

ps4 pro if you have a 4k (HDR) tv, want to try PSVR, or play ps4 pro-enhanced titles

ps4 slim if no 4k tv

14 minutes ago, Hip said:

If you play a lot on consoles I'd take the PRO, but if you play casually and without UHD TV I'd choose the Slim.

But do you want to plug in a audio system? As I know the slim doesnt have the port for it, or am I wrong?

I am planning on plugging in my Logitech speakers, which use standard 3.5mm jack.

16 minutes ago, Hip said:

And im not planning on playing hardcore on it. Just some games that are exclusive like Bloodborne and Death stranding later. I will also use it as a blue-ray player lel

21 minutes ago, raider009 said:

Hya!

So i am curious as what you guys think i should buy. A local store over here will sell the PS4 slim for 185€ starting from tomorrow until the end of the weekend. Fun things is, i work there s o i get a 20% discount (Which will make it around 150€). But, since i am the kind of person who always wants the best. I am also considering buying a barebones PS4 Pro (For 299€ which includes my discount). Thing is i don't have a 4K display/TV but i know it still makes some difference even on FullHD tv's. So what do you guys think i should buy? Just play it safe and take the pro or save some money and buy the slim?

Thanks in advance!

If your just going to play it casually once and a while go for the slim. or just for ps4 exclusives 

if its your main console the 1TB will be a bonus and much faster. youll notice the difference now and more so if you upgrade your tv down the line.

Id personally just splurge for the pro as its a one time $150 more purchase but dont see anything wrong with the slim. i have both OG xbox and slim and play it for exclusives/ with friends and dont mind it too much even though i have a 1080 in my PC

Also take note of which games are "Pro Enhanced" and which are not.  Those which are not "enhanced" will play pretty much like a regular ps4 game even the Pro.  I think in Bloodborne the Ps4 Pro just evens out the framerates in areas where it drops but still doesn't go above 30fps.

I wouldn't pay twice as much for the Pro since it doesn't do much for 1080p gaming. I'd buy the Slim and then put the rest of the money towards a gpu upgrade for when Volta comes out.

I'd get a pro for sure, i have one for the PS exclusives and other console titles and im actually shocked at how good some of the titles look, the most recent Uncharted title/DLC was amazing, as was Assassins Creed Origins and Horizon Zero Dawn, the thing im looking forward to the most however is The Last of Us Part II and i want to be sure im playing the best possible version of that game, since it will be released before the PS5 comes to market its a no brainer.  Having the pro for Red Dead 2 next year is another bonus. 

I'll say one game that does improve a lot on PS4 Pro vs PS4 Slim is NieR Automata, but that's because it targets 60 fps on both systems. The frame drops are pretty bad on PS4 Slim, but you'll stay closer to 60 fps on the Pro in that game. The Pro also renders the game at 1080p while the Slim does 900p. I think the PS4 Pro would play NieR Automata better than your PC since that game is straight gpu bound and the PS4 Pro gpu is a lot stronger than the GTX 960. Anyways, it's a great game that improves a lot on Pro vs Slim.

17 hours ago, raider009 said:

Hya!

Thanks in advance!

If you have the money and can afford it, get the PRO.

The statements that it doesn't matter if you have only 1080p are false!
Even then the PRO can be better and also offer you better image quality than the normal PS4 does. 

So the question is:
Do you want to play more casually and one or two hours per week or dou you plan on playing more stuff on the console?
The more you use it, the more the PRO makes sense.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hands down the Pro. You want the best possible experience right? ;) Games that make use of its hardware will benefit from the more powerful hardware even if you don't have a 4k display. Plus, you'll probably buy a 4k display at some point in the future, right? You might as well be prepared. If you do buy the Slim, you'll probably regret it when you finally have a 4k TV.

Since you don't already have a 4K tv I would say go with the slim use that extra cash to buy some games.  Now if you are going to get a 4K TV soon like within the next 6 months I would say go for the Pro.

Like others have said, it'll depend on how you will use it.

Normally going for something which can render at 4K would be a no-brainer, because you could just downsample it to your 1080p and get effectively killer anti-aliasing. But the PS4 Pro doesn't enable downsampling by default in the same way the Xbox One X does; instead, downsampling will depend on game developers adding the feature to their games.

With a 1080p TV you still get some advantages with the PS4 Pro however even when the game doesn't support downsampling. The more powerful GPU, higher-clocked CPU and higher capacity (and speed) RAM means there'll be performance benefits across the board increasing framerates substantially (so you won't see framerate drops as often if at all beneath the framerate lock), Games which have received a PS4 Pro patch may also unleash additional graphical features which aren't available on the base console such as improved texture filtering, better ambient-occlusion, larger draw distances etc.

Ultimately I'd say if you have a 1080p TV right now and aren't planning to buy a 4K one any time soon, you're better buying the PS4 Slim. The advantages of the Pro aren't likely to be so obvious or noticeable as to make the experience worth the 2 times higher pricepoint. If you were looking at the Xbox I'd say it'd be more worth it because the base Xbox One has loads of performance issues in games (framerate drops and resolutions being fairly low), but the base PS4 doesn't have many performance issues in general.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

On 12/14/2017 at 6:52 PM, Technicolors said:

ps4 pro if you have a 4k (HDR) tv, want to try PSVR, or play ps4 pro-enhanced titles

ps4 slim if no 4k tv

sorry to hijack the thread im considering a pro but my 4KTV doesnt have HDR will i still see a difference or is HDR a must?

3 hours ago, ant666_2 said:

sorry to hijack the thread im considering a pro but my 4KTV doesnt have HDR will i still see a difference or is HDR a must?

Yeah, you'll still see a huge difference.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, meaning that an HDR enabled monitor or TV can support a much wider output of colour and brightness levels than a normal standard dynamic range TV can. HDR enabled games just support this standard, so they output a wider colour range. Essentially dark parts will look darker, bright parts brighter and colours in general should have a bit more depth in them; though all of this depends on the quality of the monitor or TV, as not all TVs marketed as supporting HDR truly support the 10-bit colour output and improved contrast levels required to do it justice.

You'll still benefit from the increased resolution of the games with Pro support patches however, as well as framerate improvements in general and a few graphical boosts here and there. With or without HDR, the PS4 Pro will give you a fairly decent graphical upgrade over the base PS4 if you have a 4K TV or monitor. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

On 19.12.2017 at 4:23 PM, LordTaco42 said:

Since you don't already have a 4K tv I would say go with the slim use that extra cash to buy some games.  Now if you are going to get a 4K TV soon like within the next 6 months I would say go for the Pro.

Again, that's not true.

And it has nothing to do with the 4K TV!!!

Because the PS4 PRO has a higher clocked CPU and more potent GPU, it can get you a smoother gaming experience, where the PS4 stutters, the PS4 PRO stutters less.

And there are a a couple of games that give you more details, higher level textures with the PS4 PRO as well.

So stop saying that it has to do with the 4k TV when it does not.

It depends on the games that are played and how much the console will be used. If it is a casual device, the PS4 can be a decent option.

But if you really want to game, get the PRO!

That and nothing else. Especially nothing to do with 4k TV...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, Whiskers said:

Yeah, you'll still see a huge difference.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, meaning that an HDR enabled monitor or TV can support a much wider output of colour and brightness levels than a normal standard dynamic range TV can. HDR enabled games just support this standard, so they output a wider colour range. Essentially dark parts will look darker, bright parts brighter and colours in general should have a bit more depth in them; though all of this depends on the quality of the monitor or TV, as not all TVs marketed as supporting HDR truly support the 10-bit colour output and improved contrast levels required to do it justice.

You'll still benefit from the increased resolution of the games with Pro support patches however, as well as framerate improvements in general and a few graphical boosts here and there. With or without HDR, the PS4 Pro will give you a fairly decent graphical upgrade over the base PS4 if you have a 4K TV or monitor. :)

thats me trading my slim in for a pro come new year then