Move only os from hdd to ssd

Minicrow

Hello, I have recently got a new ssd, I haven' installed it into my pc yet.

I was just wondering how can I move only my os (Windows 10 home) to the new ssd?

My current hdd is 1tb, whilst my ssd is 120gb.

Thanks

no

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just reinstall Windows. There's really no reason not to (now that Win10 makes it so easy), unless you have some specific software that can't be transferred easily. Also a great opportunity to make sure you have the latest version of Windows, and to clear out anything old running in the background, taking up space, causing other issues, old windows updates, anything like that. 

Reinstalling only takes like 10-15 minutes, splitting up your data is much slower and much more likely to run into issues. There's a ton of stuff you'd have to check (especially as you're going to a much smaller drive), it's not as simple as copying some files over. 

Windows 10 download is here, you'll just need a 4GB USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

I'd advise disconnecting everything except your new SSD, and make sure to delete all partitions on the drive (if there are any) and install Windows to Unallocated space. If you are asked for a product key, choose "I don't have a key" and it will activate automatically after you connect to the internet. Do not bother entering one, you do not need it at all. 

My personal recommendation is to go into your BIOS first, and make sure secure boot and fast boot are enabled, and legacy/CSM is disabled. But if you were already fine before, it shouldn't be an issue. 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

42 minutes ago, Minicrow said:

Hello, I have recently got a new ssd, I haven' installed it into my pc yet.

I was just wondering how can I move only my os (Windows 10 home) to the new ssd?

My current hdd is 1tb, whilst my ssd is 120gb.

Thanks

yes but you must create a system image

14 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

*snip*

Fresh install IS a new feature in Windows. There's literally two different options in the Settings app to do a reinstall (Reset, and Fresh Start). 

Also I can't think of a single reason NOT to reinstall. It's by far the easiest and most reliable. Are there any advantages I'm not aware of?

Plus as I said, with fresh install you get latest version (no Windows Updates required at all), no worry about previous windows updates, old software, random dependencies for stuff you've since uninstalled, any old temp files, anything else that could be slowing down your PC or taking up space.

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

16 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

Fresh install IS a new feature in Windows. There's literally two different options in the Settings app to do a reinstall (Reset, and Fresh Start). 

Also I can't think of a single reason NOT to reinstall. It's by far the easiest and most reliable. Are there any advantages I'm not aware of?

Plus as I said, with fresh install you get latest version (no Windows Updates required at all), no worry about previous windows updates, old software, random dependencies for stuff you've since uninstalled, any old temp files, anything else that could be slowing down your PC or taking up space.

create system image

now you lose nothing during reinstall

NO ONE DOES A GOD DAMN SYSTEM IMAGE

14 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

create system image

now you lose nothing during reinstall

NO ONE DOES A GOD DAMN SYSTEM IMAGE

I do it all the time as part of my job.   I still recommend a fresh install for an amateur though.  I know how to fix potential problems, but diagnosing and explaining them to someone else is going to take more time than a fresh install alone would.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I do it all the time as part of my job.   I still recommend a fresh install for an amateur though.  I know how to fix potential problems, but diagnosing and explaining them to someone else is going to take more time than a fresh install alone would.

this is why i teach getting system up and running with all updates(no third parties) then sys imaging

much faster recovery and saves updating cycle