Ubuntu-Windows Dual Boot with two HDDs

WinNut

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to dual boot a rather unorthodox but simple setup:

3Zov2Vt.png

I am currently running Windows 10 on Disk 1 (a 120GB mSATA SSD) and wish to install Ubuntu on a 28GB partition which I have already allotted on Disk 0 (the original 280GB mechanical drive which came with the machine). Will installing Ubuntu into the 28G partition affect my E: drive at all? For context, I am not new to Linux dual-booting, as I have done it before on previous machines, but this is my first time doing it with two separate drives.

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, WinNut said:

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to dual boot a rather unorthodox but simple setup:

3Zov2Vt.png

I am currently running Windows 10 on Disk 1 (a 120GB mSATA SSD) and wish to install Ubuntu on a 28GB partition which I have already allotted on Disk 0 (the original 280GB mechanical drive which came with the machine). Will installing Ubuntu into the 28G partition affect my E: drive at all? For context, I am not new to Linux dual-booting, as I have done it before on previous machines, but this is my first time doing it with two separate drives.

Thank you!

Grub might hate you for it if you ever try to delete your Ubuntu install but that's about it. Make sure both OS boot types are the same, either Legacy or UEFI. Looks like your install of Windows is Legacy so you don't have to do anything special when installing Ubuntu.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

When you're installing Linux, it should say if it'll overwrite everything. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It shouldn't affect it but you will you be using the first part as SWAP? If not i would probably do all partitions inside windows to be safe. This way during installation you just chose the partition you wish for each and let it do the rest.

I should note i have not dual booted in a while due to compatability issues and lack of will to upkeep linux (last one became too outdated and refused to update)

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Grub might hate you for it if you ever try to delete your Ubuntu install but that's about it.

GRUB should install on the drive Ubuntu is on, if anything windows will bitch.

7 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

It shouldn't affect it but you will you be using the first part as SWAP? If not i would probably do all partitions inside windows to be safe. This way during installation you just chose the partition you wish for each and let it do the rest.

I should note i have not dual booted in a while due to compatability issues and lack of will to upkeep linux (last one became too outdated and refused to update)

GRUB should install on the drive Ubuntu is on, if anything windows will bitch.

All you have to do on Windows is just run bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr and you're done if Windows does put up a fit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

All you have to do on Windows is just run bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr and you're done if Windows does put up a fit.

I've not had a MBR issue with either 7 or 10 so no idea what happens when it fails, but the fact you have to be in windows to fix it is hilarious considering the MBR is the sole thing denying you access to fix its issues... But like i said no idea, i just find it funny, i miss the good old days of the windows XP boot.ini :| Easy to fix 90% of the time.

Update guys: I managed to make it work, no problems. 

I used the first partition as SWAP, it turns out that the partition was there because it was holding a bootloader for Windows 7, as the drive used to boot 7 before I moved it to the SSD.

The Windows 10 installation is actually legacy, so I went to the BIOS and changed settings to force all boots to be in legacy, to prevent any ugly mishaps. 

Thank you all for your help!