Looking for Upgrade advice

LeviathanUK

Okay, so I'm contemplating upgrading my PC. My current setup is:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WQ2tcc

And the setup I'm thinking about upgrading to is:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PQYZkT
(the parts that haven't changed I'm planning on re-using)

The main part area I'm struggling with is the Mobo/CPU. I plan to upgrade to a 1080ti regardless, The one I'm looking at, the Zotac 1080ti Amp! extreme core edition requires a better PSU.
I'm also looking to upgrade to an 8700k since my i5 won't be able to keep up with the 1080ti but my friend tells me it's a waste of money to buy a new Mobo to get an 8th gen cpu.
I was originally going to buy a 7700k but I want my setup to be future proof and I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that if I stuck with the z270 board but I have no idea where the z370 board is going too. I'm not just looking to upgrade for upgrades sake, I currently have income and in the future income isn't guaranteed so I'd like to be future proof as best as I can be.
So the point of the thread is kinda simple, I'm having trouble with what option to go for.
Keep my current setup basis, upgrading to a 7700k, a less power needy 1080ti like the FTW3 and more RAM 
OR
Pretty much build a new PC as outlined above in the second partpicker.
Would I be fine with a 500W PSU while upgrading to a 7700k and a 1080ti?
Or should I just say fookit and upgrade everything but my storage and give the rest to my little sister and her fiance? Any parts replaced would be going to them, too!

Also Hi! This is my first post and I've finally worked up the courage to be social ahah.

Oh and the system will mainly be used for gaming and potentially streaming at some point.

Do you have any budget limitations attached? 

Setup is perfectly fine, upgrade what you like and dont worry about anything.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Would I be fine with a 500W PSU while upgrading to a 7700k and a 1080ti?

500 watt is enough for 1 gpu. no need to upgrade psu.

it comes down to the budget, do you have enough money to upgrade new mobo?

if yes, then 8700k will be huge upgrade from your current system.

2 more cores than 7700k and 8 more threads than  current one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Also keeps stuff like your harddrive, case and peripherals, to save money. No need to get new keyboards and mice and monitors 

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

the 8700k won't give you much extra performance unless you use your pc for rendering or streaming

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

@SupaKomputa Well yeah that was my thoughts about the 8700k, It's roughly the same price but has 2 more cores and such over the 7700k, but of course I'd have to upgrade the Mobo for it. 

Just now, Cyracus said:

the 8700k won't give you much extra performance unless you use your pc for rendering or streaming

correct, i don't see how 7600k will bottleneck 1080ti in games.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

@Fruitsnacc I'd be upgrading my case because the old setup would go to my sister, Plus the p400 is sweet AF, part of the reason I want to upgrade my GPU is to help power the monitor too since my GPU isn't quite good enough to push enough frames in the games I play.

I run a 1080Ti FTW on a 4790K @4.00GHz and the CPU usage in Wolfenstein II was around 40%. I saw less than that in every other game in my library.

I should clarify I'm driving a G-sync'd 1440p @ full settings on everything.

@SupaKomputa I watched Jay's video about bottlenecking a few months ago and he said that the i5 would start to bottleneck anything above a standard 1080
 @Cyracus I was hoping to be able to handle streaming effectively eventually too!

You should still be fine for a while with that setup. If you're streaming, you can start out by using your Nvidia GPU for encoding and see how that does. The quality is quite respectable for how little of a performance penalty is gives. But if you must use x264 encoding, the 7700K will do a better job than your 7600K when gaming is concerned.

As for if you ultimately decide to get a new PC, if nobody is going to be using your older PC, I don't see why you'd replace every single component, as your PC isn't likely all that old. The new PC you suggested would be a bit overkill for streaming and gaming.

For instance, you're not going to see 32 GB of RAM give you much more than a negligible increase in gaming performance or streaming. The faster RAM speed might help, but you can simply get faster RAM, then, or overclock your existing RAM.

Also, unless Windows 10 Pro has some feature you need that Windows 10 Home doesn't have, don't bother paying even $1 extra for it, because it's not going to help you.

If you're looking for streaming, then the extra core would def help.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

If you're looking for streaming, then the extra core would def help.

Agreed.

Man, OPs need to start listing their issues and requirements in the first post. It would solve so much bickering.

@Kavawuvi
My sister would get my old PC besides the storage, which is why I figured I'd just replace the last few bits that I wasn't going to upgrade originally (psu and case essentially)
And my friend gave me a copy of Pro, only reason it's up there aha.

adding to the confusion B|

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  (£255.00 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler  (£130.02 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£241.15 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£345.65 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£109.20 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£81.39 @ Eclipse Computers) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme Video Card  (£749.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  (£100.89 @ Alza) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£124.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  (£181.97 @ More Computers) 
Monitor: Acer - Z35 bmiphz 35.0" 2560x1080 200Hz Monitor  (£826.37 @ Box Limited) 
Keyboard: Razer - BlackWidow Chroma V2 Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Mionix - NAOS 7000 Wired Optical Mouse  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Headphones: Sennheiser - PC 350 SE  Headset 
Total: £3186.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-11 20:11 GMT+0000

Fair enough, but if i were you, i scrap the samsung 850 for 960 nvme.

This is 2017 man, why sata?

16 minutes ago, LeviathanUK said:

I was hoping to be able to handle streaming effectively eventually too!

wellt the 8700k can do streaming using h264 faster, fasterer, or fastest. The 7700k drops frames like they're hot. Ryzen 7 is the best cheap option for gaming and streaming, but can't push frames quite as hard as Intel cpus

3 minutes ago, LeviathanUK said:

I'm definitely sticking with team Green

nvidia works with ryzen :P

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

why sata?

nvme offers little to no performance benefit for gaming, or most tasks outside of video editing/rendering

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

@SupaKomputa Not gonna lie I'm really new to this stuff aha, I'd been using prebuilt PCs until the 10x series came out and my friend bought me the 1060 I'm still using, I seen something about the NVME drives doing something to certain SATA ports and it made me anxious just thinking about dealing with it - but I WAS contemplating buying one to add to the system after I got the other parts taken care of, but tbh the sata SSDs work fast enough for me with my games and booting up so I was just gonna grab a bigger Samsung Sata and a bigger HDD to go with it

@Cyracus
Frames are one of the main reasons I want to upgrade - I spent £900 on my 144hz monitor and I can't get 144fps on any games I currently play with my current setup so it feels like I kinda cut my foot off and stood on it with my other foot to see higher.
Fun Fact, I bought the monitor over 6 months ago and didn't turn on the Gsync on and it was left at 60hz until 2 weeks ago. So that laugh might make up for my dumb thread aha.

The games are currently Destiny 2, Ark Survival Evolved, Battlefront 2, Forza 7 and PUBG, i realize a few are still poorly optimized though.

11 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

nvme offers little to no performance benefit for gaming, or most tasks outside of video editing/rendering

Nice to have :P

11 minutes ago, LeviathanUK said:

@SupaKomputa Not gonna lie I'm really new to this stuff aha, I'd been using prebuilt PCs until the 10x series came out and my friend bought me the 1060 I'm still using, I seen something about the NVME drives doing something to certain SATA ports and it made me anxious just thinking about dealing with it - but I WAS contemplating buying one to add to the system after I got the other parts taken care of, but tbh the sata SSDs work fast enough for me with my games and booting up so I was just gonna grab a bigger Samsung Sata and a bigger HDD to go with it

NVME run in a different channel than SATA, so it won't matter.

some motherboard disabled sata port if nvme plugged in. 

I also still have my crucial sata ssd, tempted to get nvme, but the drive still 4 months old, bought it just a month

before ryzen upgrade.

But if i'm in the decision on buying a fresh ssd, i would grab the 960.

15 minutes ago, LeviathanUK said:

@Cyracus
Frames are one of the main reasons I want to upgrade - I spent £900 on my 144hz monitor and I can't get 144fps on any games I currently play with my current setup so it feels like I kinda cut my foot off and stood on it with my other foot to see higher.
Fun Fact, I bought the monitor over 6 months ago and didn't turn on the Gsync on and it was left at 60hz until 2 weeks ago. So that laugh might make up for my dumb thread aha.

Numbers, numbers...

2k at 144fps would need another gpu bro.

CPU won't help.

as you can see only 100fps on gta5

@SupaKomputa Well fook. I wanna get as much as I can anyway and since Streaming is on the table it looks like the 8700k might win out after all.