Sennheiser IE80 - where to buy

LinusTech

Sennheiser Direct: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/earphones-high-end-hifi-stereo-passive-noise-reduction-ie-80

Amazon: http://geni.us/3NLIo2

Sennheiser's IE80's are both loved and maligned in the various audiophile circles, so I took them for a 3 week test drive to find out just what's so great (or not great) about them. In the end, the only complaint I can really level against them is that I resent have spent so much money on headphones over the years when all I needed was these. I've got a (literal) pile of headphones costing anywhere from $100 to $500+ sitting next to me, all of which I never listen to anymore now that my IE80's are broken in...

Linus do you ever sleep? Also those look like some pretty good headphones I might buy some. ^_^ Just need to get the money first.. :mellow:

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Sleep is for the weak.

Haha! That is why I am awake as well! I learned from you. B)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

At 0:57 I thought you said something else... like silicone (.Y.)

My mind is in the gutter.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Damn it Linus, you're going to make me spend more money. I've already got HiFiMan HD-500 and Sennheiser HD-800 but I'm curious :P

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

Barnacules Nerdgasm  B) 

[YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook]

Heh, I still like my IE7 better since it's more neutral. But it great that you like the IE80.

Heh, I still like my IE7 better since it's more neutral. But it great that you like the IE80.

I've got the Etymotic ER4s in the queue to try out next... Much more flat response curve.... We'll see if I've been forever tainted by the IE80's once I give those a try.

Not sure if I can go back to "boring" neutral sound now....

I've got the Etymotic ER4s in the queue to try out next... Much more flat response curve.... We'll see if I've been forever tainted by the IE80's once I give those a try.

Not sure if I can go back to "boring" neutral sound now....

Well, there comes a time, When you don't want that extra bass punch.

Well, there comes a time, When you don't want that extra bass punch.

Listening to Swollen Members at the moment... so I don't think that time has come for me yet :P

@LinusTech

Convert your flac collection to alac so you can listen to lossless on your iPhone.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

IE80?

No matter how many versions of Internet Explorer you make, we will not use it, Microsoft!

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Linus what do you think about the Shure SE-425/535?

i have the 215's (series of IEMs by price range) and they sound amazing

:/

Nice review Linus. :)  

I listen to music 90% of the time I'm working... or driving...so fairly often. I just have basic earbuds... but I've been thinking of upgrading to something nicer. I didn't know these were as much $$ until you mentioned it - mainly since I haven't really looked around yet. 

Anyway, not sure I wanna spend that much... but they do sound like they are really nice.

I was looking over the comments on Amazon.. and a few were talking about getting fakes when ordered thru them... Not really sure how you could prevent that - aside from getting them elsewhere... but just something to keep in mind if anyone is thinking about ordering them. 

-R

(aka RacerX780)

Linus, it would be nice if you could get a pair of Shure SE535s and make a head to head review.

Why 300 bucks :( I wouldn't mind if I had the money although it's a premium for in-ear-headphones. I guess I'd put money down on getting either this audio solution for in-ear or steel series siberia elite for over ear. I like seinheisers my CX680 but they're totally different.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I was looking into In-ear headphones and these sound sweet. After more research I saw a ton of post about people getting Chinese fakes, even on Amazon (I assume from one of their affiliate retailer system). There is even an old post on this forum of someone getting fake ones. I take it just be careful. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

how are they in terms of keeping sound in? in other words how much can you blast them without bothering the people around you?  :)

My system: CPU: intel i7 3930k, Motherboard: ASUS rampage 4 extreme, gpu: GTX1080 RAM: 32 GB Corsair vengeance quad-channel 1866 MHz, sound card: ASUS xonar phoebus, Bootdrive: intel 520 240GB ssd, Storage drive: 3x 3TB Seagate baracuda, psu: Corsair HX 1050, Cooler: Corsair h100, Case, Corsair obsidian 800D.

Why 300 bucks :( I wouldn't mind if I had the money although it's a premium for in-ear-headphones. I guess I'd put money down on getting either this audio solution for in-ear or steel series siberia elite for over ear. I like seinheisers my CX680 but they're totally different.

these are close to 440$ in Denmark >.< still might get them 

My system: CPU: intel i7 3930k, Motherboard: ASUS rampage 4 extreme, gpu: GTX1080 RAM: 32 GB Corsair vengeance quad-channel 1866 MHz, sound card: ASUS xonar phoebus, Bootdrive: intel 520 240GB ssd, Storage drive: 3x 3TB Seagate baracuda, psu: Corsair HX 1050, Cooler: Corsair h100, Case, Corsair obsidian 800D.

these are close to 440$ in Denmark >.< still might get them 

okay... get em :)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Wow... if their as good as linus says they are, then I wonder how good the IE 800's are...

Just some links from a local shop here in the GTA...

IE 80: http://www.avshop.ca/sound-amp-pa-audio/headphones/in-ear-headphones/sennheiser-ie-80-high-fidelity-noise-isolating-ear-canal-phonesunique-sound

IE 800: http://www.avshop.ca/sound-amp-pa-audio/headphones/in-ear-headphones/sennheiser-ie-800-earphones

If I could afford them I'd likely give them a try, need something more compact then my Roccat Kulo's.

how are they in terms of keeping sound in? in other words how much can you blast them without bothering the people around you?  :)

Very good. With most IEMs this isn't much of a concern.

I'm pretty sure this was recorded using the teleprompter? It sure sounds like you were simply reading some text. Too bad, because that takes away what makes your videos so interesting. I tweeted you this as well the first time you used. In my opinion, the teleprompter should be kept for things like As Fast As Possible. LTT should be as teleprompter free as possible. Ramble on, make mistakes, go on rants, be passionate... After all, that's what made me subscribe years ago in the first place.

These were only $199 on NCIX black friday. I jumped on Westone 3 on Amazon currently for $179 and IMO better than these.

Very good. With most IEMs this isn't much of a concern.

I'm looking for a very good pair (price range of up to about 300 USD) of in-ear headphones that simply must have replaceable cables. I go through terrible and cheap headphones like nobody's business due to shorts on a monthly basis. Do you have any recommendations on a pair that simply DOESN'T short out or has replaceable cables?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB