how to cap fps?

Hi everyone.

As the title says, I want to cap the fps I get in a game.

So we have the following parameters:

Graphics card - GTX 980 Ti

Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 144Hz G-Sync

Game - World of Tanks

And the following request:

I have the game running in ultra settings (AA Off) and I'm getting 117 fps until the 980 Ti reaches 99% load (the CPU - i5-6600k no OC sits around 45%load). I would like to cap the fps at 100.

Reason for request:

While the game is running smoothly due to G-Sync, the graphics card gets a little bit hot for my likings -> 75c min to 80 max. Yes I know that the temp is fine, but I'm not happy with the noise nor the heat that exits the case (you can call it OCD). I am happy with 100fps as the game is not that competitive and I wouldn't see the difference anyway between 117fps and 100fps.

Side notes:

I intend to migrate to a new build, in the Phanteks Evolv Shift ITX case. At the moment in my build (check the signature) I use the MSI Gaming variant of the 980 Ti. In the Evolv Shift I will be using Zotac 980 Ti reference design and might try my best to overclock it to the MSI speeds or close to that. I will have a fan at the bottom in order to blow fresh air to the graphics card but I want to cap the fps so that the reference cooling design to stay quiet and cooler by a couple of degrees (at least I hope so). I will be selling my current rig and hope that I won't regret the migration.

So, what would be the easiest way to do it?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

8 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

As the title says, I want to cap the fps I get in a game.

And the following request:

I have the game running in ultra settings (AA Off) and I'm getting 117 fps until the 980 Ti reaches 99% load (the CPU - i5-6600k no OC sits around 45%load). I would like to cap the fps at 100.

So, what would be the easiest way to do it?

It should be somewhere in the setting of WOT itself, I know it is capped at 120-125fps anyway because the old engine can't go any higher.

I assume you should try to turn v-sync on if it's of and that would cap it or show you tha cap idk haven't played WOT so I never saw the setting menu.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

credits to https://forum.worldofwarships.com/profile/1000440435-goldpile/

Yes you can uncap it in a sense, there's an adjustable FPS cap in the engine_config & you can set that as high or as low as you want. For slower machines it will actually help if it caps to your max possible FPS while in your case, how high do you want it to go? By default the game is capped at 75 FPS but in practice it actually works out to a cap of 2-3 FPS less than the actual cap limit.

Basically all the technical nonsense out of the way, open up "engine_config" & search for this "<maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>". That number is the game FPS cap, set it as high as you want.

I myself haven't played WoT like the guy above but I hope this helps

oof owie blue liquid is coming out of my eyes pls help

2 minutes ago, EG! said:

It should be somewhere in the setting of WOT itself, I know it is capped at 120-125fps anyway because the old engine can't go any higher.

I assume you should try to turn v-sync on if it's of and that would cap it or show you tha cap idk haven't played WOT so I never saw the setting menu.

Oh right. So if I will sett the Hz of the monitor to 100 in OSD and then activate vsync in game I should get the 100fps cap I want. The big question now is what would be the toll on the gpu when vsync in on at 1440p ultra settings?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

7 minutes ago, warlinty said:

credits to https://forum.worldofwarships.com/profile/1000440435-goldpile/

I myself haven't played WoT like the guy above but I hope this helps

Will try that as soon as I get back home from work. Thanks

28 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

Oh right. So if I will sett the Hz of the monitor to 100 in OSD and then activate vsync in game I should get the 100fps cap I want. The big question now is what would be the toll on the gpu when vsync in on at 1440p ultra settings?

Why the hell would you do that?

That defeats the whole purpose of G-Sync and 144Hz screen.

56 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Why the hell would you do that?

That defeats the whole purpose of G-Sync and 144Hz screen.

1. I am aware that my current GPU won't push 144 fps in order to take advantage of the 144hz screen.

2. It's a way to cap, not the most efficient, and yes it will defeat the purpose of the G-Sync. Looks like I didn't thought that through.