Pc Build noob experiencing myriad of problems.

QuesoSeven

I will provide further details to those looking to help if needed, but I don't want to ramble. So without further ado, my problems are as follows:

1.HDMI cable is not registering to my monitor. It was working fine an hour ago until I started troubleshooting a problem with RAM not registering on my bios. 

2. My IO sheild is (very annoyingly) blocking the HDMI port on the motherboard. I will provide a picture to show you. I would use this port to test an alternative display port option to the GPU HDMI port but I can't access it for this reason. I have also tested alternative HDMI cables.

3. Power switch only turns computer on. It will not turn it off. I have been using the switch on the psu to turn it off as it is the only way.

Side note: The display problem started happening after I was testing different RAM slot configurations to try to get it to register properly on the bios (one RAM slot was not registering - I now believe it could be fixed by overclocking the memory module on the bios after further research.)

Side note 2: I have checked and rechecked many wires connecting to the motherboard including all of the system panel header connectors. I have also checked essential power supply cables.

My build/display specs are as follows:

ASUS VZ249 LCD Monitor

Intel i5-7600k cpu

ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac motherboard

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz memory 2x8gb CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Corsair H60 AIO cpu cooler 

EVGA 650w G2 Gold power supply

Fractal Design Meshify C ATX case 

Thank you guys for any advice, it's much appreciated. I'm not sure if I'm unlucky or an idiot... but either way I hope we can figure it out haha :)

20171207_201953.jpg

20171207_202042.jpg

Edited by QuesoSeven
Had HDMI cables listed as VGA derp

Well I can solve at least one of these for you: In the BIOS settings, under something along the lines of Power Settings, there's an option to turn off the computer at the press of the power button.

Did your graphics card come with a DVI to VGA adapter you can use on your mainboard? Otherwise if you've got a drill or a dremel on hand, you can manually make a hole in the I/O shield for the VGA port.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Oh jeez, when you say "VGA" are you talking about the port labeled "HDMI"? You need to take your motherboard out and remove those tabs from inside your HDMI port. If you're not troubleshooting your GPU you should just leave it in and use the display outputs on that.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1) reseat the ram in different slots on the motherboard to fix that issue, look at your motherboard manual for which one specifically (single/dual/quad channel)

2) just take the i/o shield off or cut a really bad hole? I recommend just taking the shield off and living with it

3) fix your front i/o (from the case to the motherboard) cables, one of them is definitely backwards if you can't turn the computer off

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

fix your front i/o (from the case to the motherboard) cables, one of them is definitely backwards if you can't turn the computer off

Debatable, I had to change a BIOS setting in my first build for it to turn off via power button.

If you think about it, all the power button does it short the jumpers on the board. Similar to using a screwdriver or paperclip. It doesn't matter which side of the screwdriver or paperclip you use, as long as it allows an electric current to pass from one jumper to the other.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, QuesoSeven said:

Omg I meant to say HDMI yes! Sorry! :(

It's fine, we won't hold it against you(at least I won't).

Everyone makes mistakes, especially with our first builds.

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Oh jeez, when you say "VGA" are you talking about the port labeled "HDMI"? You need to take your motherboard out and remove those tabs from inside your HDMI port. If you're not troubleshooting your GPU you should just leave it in and use the display outputs on that.

Thank you for correct me

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's fine, we won't hold it against you(at least I won't).

Everyone makes mistakes, especially with our first builds.

Thank you. Yes I will blame it on the stress associated with it being my first build haha :P

Just now, QuesoSeven said:

Thank you. Yes I will blame it on the stress associated with it being my first build haha :P

Haha good idea. At least you didn't do what I did and go out and buy an AMD APU for your first build...

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Debatable, I had to change a BIOS setting in my first build for it to turn off via power button.

If you think about it, all the power button does it short the jumpers on the board. Similar to using a screwdriver or paperclip. It doesn't matter which side of the screwdriver or paperclip you use, as long as it allows an electric current to pass from one jumper to the other.

I took my time installing the system panel header cables. I'm quite sure they're in the correct alignment. I have rechecked them as I mentioned 

6 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

1) reseat the ram in different slots on the motherboard to fix that issue, look at your motherboard manual for which one specifically (single/dual/quad channel)

2) just take the i/o shield off or cut a really bad hole? I recommend just taking the shield off and living with it

3) fix your front i/o (from the case to the motherboard) cables, one of them is definitely backwards if you can't turn the computer off

I checked the manual and I had them in the right slots. Unfortunately I can't troubleshoot this issue anymore because I can't access BIOS :(

Update: I fixed the IO sheild problem and put the HDMI cable into the motherboard HDMI connector. It still isn't working.