Water Cooling without water?

I have a relatively simple question. Would we be able to fill a water cooling system with something other than water for better thermals?

As far as I can tell, water is used in cooling systems because of it's high volumetric heat capacity. But there are substances with higher volumetric heat capacity, like ammonia, hydrogen, or helium. Do you guys think filling a water cooling system with these would improve it's thermals?

As far as I know, no.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

7 minutes ago, beckettcat said:

I have a relatively simple question. Would we be able to fill a water cooling system with something other than water for better thermals?

As far as I can tell, water is used in cooling systems because of it's high volumetric heat capacity. But there are substances with higher volumetric heat capacity, like ammonia, hydrogen, or helium. Do you guys think filling a water cooling system with these would improve it's thermals?

Although it is possible, some items (like hydrogen) would be not the smartest idea

you want something that if it leaks isn't flammable, or has the potential (like ammonia) to incapacitate the end user

if you wanted something gaseous, you could look at phase change

Unless you want to have an exciting fire, I wouldn't put Hydrogen in a liquid cooler loop. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

NO,

you NEED LIQUID, Helium has to be -269* C to be a liquid and would FREEZE everything in the loop destroying the rubber seals and plastic then would boil off creating a lot of pressure.

same with liquid hydrogen.

Ammonia would just eat everything in the loop

It's pretty much impossible as most alternatives that WOULD work better would either result in a guaranteed mega fire or (like ammonia) probably kill you while you sleep.

And of course it has to be a liquid, so some potentials would simply have to be too cold to actually be in liquid form.

The only alternative to water I know of that people use is some sort of man made cooling fluid that's often dyed and is mainly used for colour and it is a lot easier to clean with a custom loop, so you can go with that but I don't think it cools better.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

you can fill it with what ever you want. but it actually won't really make it perform better. water is used because it's very easy to find so it's convenient and other more exotic stuff would be incredibly more expensive for very little gain if any

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Hydrogen would not be a good idea since it's flammable and helium is lighter then water so I would actually run up a tube also expensive

As for ammonia....... I'm not sure you want to Risk your life for better temps on a computer for something that works fine

Also little gain

Use Phase change or liquid nitrogen or just a balls to the wall water cooling loop

You're trying to cool a computer not the Large Hadron Collider, helium is overkill.

Instead of worrying about the water, think about the fans and radiator for better cooling, you don't need to turn your PC into a cryogenic system.

Hydrogen is very flammable and you'll need to keep it at around −252.87 °C for it to stay as a liquid (−269 °C for helium and −195.79 °C for nitrogen)

Ammonia is corrosive and will ruin your entire system

stick with water, unless some company creates a special liquid for water cooled systems (use distilled water cause it doesn't have ions in it)

4 hours ago, beckettcat said:

Ultimately, you will need to cool the said liquid medium. Since you are then relying on the copper fins of radiators etc, then you will be limited by the air/copper interface. At the end of the day, water cooling is still air cooling (unless you use chillers, for example) 

Amaze, no one mentioned liquid mercury yet which seems to be a recurring theme when talking about alternative fluids :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

16 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

Amaze, no one mentioned liquid mercury yet which seems to be a recurring theme when talking about alternative fluids :D

Mercury is electrically conductive and is about 13 times denser than water, not to mention that its salts are toxic.

Oh and mercury would form an amalgam when it comes in contact with aluminum and cooper (and other metals) so it will ruin a lot of your parts.

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Mercury is electrically conductive and is about 13 times denser than water, not to mention that its salts are toxic.

Oh and mercury would form an amalgam when it comes in contact with aluminum and cooper (and other metals) so it will ruin a lot of your parts.

I know that, I'm just laughing because liquid mercury based cooling seems to come back like a boomerang every time there is a talk about different things that can cool your system.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

To use any of that you would have to custom make every single piece of the whole system and not really worth the work.