10G Networking Mystery (For Me Anyway!)

whoislinus
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

LACP doesn't work like that. If you try opening 3 transfer sessions between the PC and the N40L, you should get 3x 1Gbps transfers. LACP is useful for multiple sessions or connections, but doesn't combine the bandwidth into one. 

Hi guys, I have a 10gbps switch (Netgear GS110EMX) connected to a N40L running OpenMediaVault via three 1gbps ports (bonded setup in OMV 802.3ad with LACP running on the switch with LAG all setup correctly). I have a PC with an ASUS XG-C100C (10gbps) NIC connected into one of the 10G ports (on the switch) via a CAT7 cable.

With this setup my transfer speed between the PC and the N40L is 1gbps. How is it not 3gbps and is it possible to get there?

LACP doesn't work like that. If you try opening 3 transfer sessions between the PC and the N40L, you should get 3x 1Gbps transfers. LACP is useful for multiple sessions or connections, but doesn't combine the bandwidth into one. 

3 minutes ago, whoislinus said:

Thanks all! Now to see what I can change to allow this!

Depends on the hashing algorithm used.

I know you can use Src/Dst Mac, IP, and Port along with some other info but I forget what the default combo is though.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, whoislinus said:

Thanks all! Now to see what I can change to allow this!

What OS are you running on the NAS? If you are using windows or SAMBA on lInux, you can enable SMB multichannel which will allow you to get that 3Gbps.

My native language is C++

12 hours ago, Lurick said:

Depends on the hashing algorithm used.

I know you can use Src/Dst Mac, IP, and Port along with some other info but I forget what the default combo is though.

Basic LACP is just MAC, more advanced switches use MAC + IP and the much nicer ones that are Layer 4+ can do MAC + IP + Port. Not had much success with Layer 4+ teaming though, end up having to use proper multi-pathing anyway or creating multiple NFS mounts and binding to different IP addresses.