How to find Windows KEY for fresh ssd install ?

WolfLoverPro

I’m going to be freshly install windows 10 onto my usb and onto my ssd 

I have a windows 8 disk what came with my pc but I really can’t be bothered to upgrade to Windows 10 again so hopefully downloading the iso works for new ssd 

I’m going to be putting it onto a usb and someone said it won’t ask for key of your on same WiFi and pc HOWever I’ll be on different WIFI same pc tho just that originally I had windows 8 so it might ask for key ? Idk 

OH and important question I need to know 

WHEN I put the iso on my USB you have to use that profane what u know puts it on the usb BUT 

I have done this with Linux before and IT WRECK MY USB cuz i used it as Linux it worked and when I formatted it it fuked up the usb somehow I literally clicked quick format and also didn’t let me after use full formatting wtf ? So does this mess usb up and can I format usb SAFLEY to make the usb USEABLE after installing Windows from usb how to format properly and get my usb normal again 

microsoft has a media creation tool or something.

It basically downloads and copies the W10 setup onto the USB and making it ready to go.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you're using the same motherboard, Windows 10 will just see the code (which nowadays is saved on the motherboard).

If not, use the Windows 8 key (which with the upgrade turned into a W10 key) or just link your license to an account and you're fine too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

If you're using the same motherboard, Windows 10 will just see the code (which nowadays is saved on the motherboard).

If not, use the Windows 8 key (which with the upgrade turned into a W10 key) or just link your license to an account and you're fine too.

Oh it’s in the motherboard ? So it won’t matter that I’m on different WiFi I just use the Microsoft tool thingy and it won’t ask even on different WiFi or no WiFi ?

Just now, WolfLoverPro said:

Oh it’s in the motherboard ? So it won’t matter that I’m on different WiFi I just use the Microsoft tool thingy and it won’t ask even on different WiFi or no WiFi ?

As I said, the license key is nowadays saved on the motherboard, so it doesn't matter you're on different WiFi or whatever.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They key isn't "saved" on the motherboard, rather the MS server looks for a unique ID on your motherboard, and if it matches the one on the server, it activates "with a digital license" (not a key). 

Alternatively, if the motherboard has a key (for Win 7/8/8.1/10, OEM key) it will send that key to the server, and exchange it for a Windows 10 digital license that's tied to that motherboard's unique ID. So future activations will NOT use the key, they use the mobo's ID and the server. 

Note that while you can no longer upgrade through the freeupgrade program, these OEM keys will still be exchanged for Win10 digital licenses (so you get a "free upgrade" anyways), this will work indefinitely. 

Couple important things to make sure this works:

• Make sure to use the Media Creation Tool to create your USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • Enable secure boot, fast boot, and disable legacy/CSM (compatibility support module) in your BIOS.
  • The Windows 10 installer might ask for a key when you first start. Choose "I don't have a key" at the bottom. It'll pull the digital license automatically after you connect to the internet. 
  • Install Windows 10 to a blank drive, with no partitions at all (unallocated space). The installer does need to format the drive as GPT.