What is the meaning of life?

Jsmith2211
2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

5a16be1ec7bfa_stagesoflife.jpg.668544003ce34812956a8c189801831c.jpg

But it begs the question, since both living and non living objects are made up from the same 10 trillion mile clouds of hydrogen and helium which happened years ago, are living objects actually dead or alive?

A DNA molecule is just double stranded helix of a nitrogenous base, phosphate backbone and a 5-carbon sugar. Alone, it is not alive. A Protein is just a combination of amino acids linked but alone, it's also not alive. Chlorophyll in plants is also non-living as it's just a pigment reflecting green and absorb the rest. So what makes living things alive?

I think it is the brain that makes a human alive. In a way we are all star dust, but we are set apart from rocks and sand by the fact we have wonderful organs like the brain, simply not found anywhere else apart from in animals. It is just remarkable really, life. A shame that some people want to throw it away because of some minor issues. It is sad how some people, in stead of getting help, just end it. You only get one chance at life, so take every opportunity, and if you don't, you are missing out!

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I was paraphrasing this video from Kurzgesagt the top of my head when I typed that. I guess it came out wrong then when I wrote it. My bad. :/

thanks for the video. Raises a good point, what about AI? 

2 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

I think it is the brain that makes a human alive. In a way we are all star dust, but we are set apart from rocks and sand by the fact we have wonderful organs like the brain, simply not found anywhere else apart from in animals. It is just remarkable really, life. A shame that some people want to throw it away because of some minor issues. It is sad how some people, in stead of getting help, just end it. You only get one chance at life, so take every opportunity, and if you don't, you are missing out!

oh boy, could not agree less. Humans are not the masters of live just because they have bigger brains. A "stupid" chicken is as much alive as me or you. So is a tree and they don't even have a brain.

Humans take themselves as some powerful entities that is more alive or more deserving to be alive, when they are just monkeys that evolved bigger brains. The same could be said for the respect we have for some animals and not for others, by how much they are cute, they like us or are more or less inteligent.  

My opinion anyway. 

terminal means It cant be cured or stopped=death, and an STD is made by having sex, coincidently so are people

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

oh boy, could not agree less. Humans are not the masters of live just because they have bigger brains. A "stupid" chicken is as much alive as me or you. So is a tree and they don't even have a brain.

Humans take themselves as some powerful entities that is more alive or more deserving to be alive, when they are just monkeys that evolved bigger brains. The same could be said for the respect we have for some animals and not for others, by how much they are cute, they like us or are more or less inteligent.  

My opinion anyway. 

YES ASUS just cause we smarter doesn't mean that we have the right to mass murder every other living thing just for our help

Just now, asus killer said:

My opinion anyway. 

Ok, at no point did i say i thought humans were better than animals, i just referenced the human brain. Sorry if i worded it wrong. I Actually agree with you on this :-)

2 minutes ago, TheEmeraldWolfLord said:

terminal means It cant be cured or stopped=death, and an STD is made by having sex, coincidently so are people

Ok, kind of see your point. It is a bit like the idea behind origional sin...

Just now, Joelsome said:

Ok, at no point did i say i thought humans were better than animals, i just referenced the human brain. Sorry if i worded it wrong. I Actually agree with you on this :-)

good point

I guess that we cant say what the meaning of life is, some people will say that only god knows the meaning of life but is there any proof that any of this exists

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

The idea behind AI and whether they are alive has been raised so many times it is silly. The film "Blade Runner" Is basically all about this. It is also based on the book "Do Androids Believe In Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick

Just now, Joelsome said:

I think it is the brain that makes a human alive

But if you take out the brain from the rest of the body, the brain is dead. In fact, while being called "brain dead" some patients waiting for their organs to be harvested for organ transplantation are kept alive at least keep the body warm by "heart-lung machine" to keep the organs viable for transplant.

4 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

A shame that some people want to throw it away because of some minor issues. It is sad how some people, in stead of getting help, just end it. You only get one chance at life, so take every opportunity, and if you don't, you are missing out!

Well some people like in destitute places would do everything in order to survive and because there's nothing, they do nefarious things or worse, end their lives.

But yes, all things from the entire universe came from the same star dust as a result of nuclear fusion billions of years ago. It's just that in planet Earth, living things are carbon based life forms. Reminds me of the primordial soup theory on how life started on Earth. In a lab, a mixture of elements (Nitrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Sulfur) inside a flask was ignited by electricity and from these inorganic elements, organic compounds are synthesized inside the flask.

9 minutes ago, asus killer said:

There's been a lot of talk about AI and whether it should be regulated or not. But for the most part, AI maybe sentient but it doesn't posses the same faculties as a living, breathing human being have. It's not carbon based (at least organically, no proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids) and it cannot reproduce by itself either by sexual or asexual reproduction unless you consider 3D-printing as reproduction so no. AI and robots are not alive, at least on the context of human beings.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

the brain is just an organ. It is what makes us sentient beings, nothing more. For me life is not depending on brains, or brain sizes. It's kind of a slippery slop thinking, remember that Hitler considered that people with less brain function (retarded for the non PC) should be killed.

1 minute ago, TheEmeraldWolfLord said:

I guess that we cant say what the meaning of life is, some people will say that only god knows the meaning of life but is there any proof that any of this exists

Interesting Point. So we could all be living a dream? How do i know you are real? How do i know you aren't just a figment of my imagination?

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

But if you take out the brain from the rest of the body, the brain is dead. In fact, while being called "brain dead" some patients waiting for their organs to be harvested for organ transplantation are kept alive at least keep the body warm by "heart-lung machine" to keep the organs viable for transplant.

Well some people like in destitute places would do everything in order to survive and because there's nothing, they do nefarious things or worse, end their lives.

But yes, all things from the entire universe came from the same star dust as a result of nuclear fusion billions of years ago. It's just that in planet Earth, living things are carbon based life forms. Reminds me of the primordial soup theory on how life started on Earth. In a lab, a mixture of elements (Nitrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Sulfur) inside a flask was ignited by electricity and from these inorganic elements, organic compounds are synthesized inside the flask.

There's been a lot of talk about AI and whether it should be regulated or not. But for the most part, AI maybe sentient but it doesn't posses the same faculties as a living, breathing human being have. It's not carbon based (at least organically, no proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids) and it cannot reproduce by itself either by sexual or asexual reproduction unless you consider 3D-printing as reproduction so no. AI and robots are not alive, at least on the context of human beings.

Are you realy alive if your organs are still beating though? Would you consider a person who isn't capable of feeling, hearing, seeing, talking or thinking?

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

well the scientist DR. Kaku says that u universe created it self so it could be created by itself which is a very confusing topic in my opinion.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

the brain is just an organ. It is what makes us sentient beings, nothing more. For me life is not depending on brains, or brain sizes. It's kind of a slippery slop thinking, remember that Hitler considered that people with less brain function (retarded for the non PC) should be killed.

Yes, but he was hitler, please lets not get him involved, i don't want this thread removed! lel

Just now, Joelsome said:

Interesting Point. So we could all be living a dream? How do i know you are real? How do i know you aren't just a figment of my imagination?

Are you realy alive if your organs are still beating though? Would you consider a person who isn't capable of feeling, hearing, seeing, talking or thinking?

we cant know anything for sure, maybe the human race has been captured by aliens and we are in a VR test to see how we grew maybe for research or maybe just as entertainment like the quality 1990's film the Truman Show

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

there are two ways of seeing the "alive" issue. And I've seen them in this thread, either the birth/death or the conscientious existence. They will never have the 1st but they can posses the 2nd. And then we get to the discussions, can we "kill" a functioning AI? that is aware of itself? that as feelings?...

Just now, TheEmeraldWolfLord said:

we cant know anything for sure, maybe the human race has been captured by aliens and we are in a VR test to see how we grew maybe for research or maybe just as entertainment like the quality 1990's film the Truman Show

Ha maybe.

6 hours ago, techswede said:

To pay taxes until you die. 

the tax collectors idea of life at least. Actually they do look for ways to squeeze out more of that sweet nectar that is tax money after you croak. So eh, yeah.

Anyways, truth is. I don't know. What gives me meaning at least, is finding happiness for myself. Truth is in my current situation I'm not really happy. Although I'm working towards making that a reality. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Yes, but he was hitler, please lets not get him involved, i don't want this thread removed! lel

maybe should have not brought him up. But it was easy to carry the message. There others and societies that thought the same throw the ages, again focus on the point not the example.

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

The organ is alive but the person is brain dead. Once the heart-lung machine has been shut down, the person is dead. Obviously deficiencies in sense organs or faculties doesn't make someone dead.

4 minutes ago, TheEmeraldWolfLord said:

well the scientist DR. Kaku says that u universe created it self so it could be created by itself which is a very confusing topic in my opinion.

I think I should listen to his podcast more. Although I have a disagreement to his position of the debate between "free will" and "determinism". 

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

there are two ways of seeing the "alive" issue. And I've seen them in this thread, either the birth/death or the conscientious existence. They will never have the 1st but they can posses the 2nd. And then we get to the discussions, can we "kill" a functioning AI? that is aware of itself? that as feelings?...

Unless you program feelings to it but yes we can kill a functioning AI either by overwriting to delete or physically destroy it. At the moment I'm certainly not paranoid about AI and I think it can do so much in improving life. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Unless you program feelings to it but yes we can kill a functioning AI either by overwriting to delete or physically destroy it. At the moment I'm certainly not paranoid about AI and I think it can do so much in improving life. 

the AI as i see it... people don't program feelings or conscientiousnesses (really hard word lol), you give it the means to get there. If you program it, it's not AI. I might be wrong but it's how i see it.