DIY AM3 to AM4 convertion? not zipties...

thall320578

Has anyone made a DIY conversion to fit an AM3 mounted cooler onto an AM4 platform, or is such a thing even possible?

I'll be changing over from my FX8350 setup to a Ryzen 1700 or 1700x, am currently running a Coolermaster V8 (original, not the V2), and LOVE the aesthetics and performance of it, and would like to keep it if possible. With the 8350 being 125w and the 1700 being 65w and 1700x being 95w, the cooler is rated for handling 180w and keeps the 125w 8350 nice and cool, there shouldn't be ANY cooling performance issues keeping the Ryzen cool, but I don't see there being any easy way to transfer it over to an AM4 platform as I'm sure Coolermaster will not be making AM4 mounting for this discontinued cooler... I'm not even sure if they will or do for the newer V8 GTS, and even if they do I'm not sure if the mounting setup on the cooler is the same between it and the older one...

20170428_2145131.jpg

1 minute ago, thall320578 said:

Has anyone made a DIY conversion to fit an AM3 mounted cooler onto an AM4 platform, or is such a thing even possible?

I'll be changing over from my FX8350 setup to a Ryzen 1700 or 1700x, am currently running a Coolermaster V8 (original, not the V2), and LOVE the aesthetics and performance of it, and would like to keep it if possible. With the 8350 being 125w and the 1700 being 65w and 1700x being 95w, the cooler is rated for handling 180w and keeps the 125w 8350 nice and cool, there shouldn't be ANY cooling performance issues keeping the Ryzen cool, but I don't see there being any easy way to transfer it over to an AM4 platform as I'm sure Coolermaster will not be making AM4 mounting for this discontinued cooler... I'm not even sure if they will or do for the newer V8 GTS, and even if they do I'm not sure if the mounting setup on the cooler is the same between it and the older one...

Have you gotten the Motherboard yet? The only mobo that I know of that has both holes (thusly not needing a different mounting mechanism) is the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero. Otherwise, you could check with CoolerMaster to see if they have one.

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

Have you gotten the Motherboard yet? The only mobo that I know of that has both holes (thusly not needing a different mounting mechanism) is the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero. Otherwise, you could check with CoolerMaster to see if they have one.

I haven't purchased anything yet for it, just planning ahead.

I still can't understand why AMD had to go and change it up after all these years lol

4 minutes ago, thall320578 said:

I haven't purchased anything yet for it, just planning ahead.

I still can't understand why AMD had to go and change it up after all these years lol

It's just what companies do. Fortunately, a lot of companies started offering the different mounting brackets separately for people who needed it because the cooler they bought didn't come with it, or for those who had the cooler already and needed the bracket.

IDK maybe there are mounting adapters made by other companies for sale but doubt they cover each cooler.

I would suggest try to sell this one and get for AM4 - don't risk to damage your new parts!

As to is it possible  - yes and its very easy. You take measurements, make a project in AutoCAD or something else and find a guy to cut it from steal. I bet I can do the project in an hour with my very funny and limited knowledge of AutoCAD.

AM4 motherboards can accommodate AM3 coolers, you would just need to swap out the AM4 motherboard backplate with your AM3 one.

• 7 months later...

AM4 motherboards can accommodate AM3 coolers, you would just need to swap out the AM4 motherboard backplate with your AM3 one.

Afraid not, the backplate holes are in different positions, AM3 and AM4 backplates are entirely non-interchangeable.