Pixel 2 with a Headphone Jack? – LG V30 Review

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

And you can't really call it much of a hallmark feature when I can do the same on a Note8.

Does the Note 8 have high fidelity video recording? No. Does the Note 8 record stereo audio in video recording? No.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

24 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Does the Note 8 have high fidelity video recording? No. Does the Note 8 record stereo audio in video recording? No.

Um, the Note records in stereo :/

Almost every phone does except the iPhone and Pixel. Those record mono. I know this because that same app also shows me the gain for both left and right channels.

I don't think it records high fidelity audio, but honestly, I use a Zoom H1 for WAV recording. If I'm dead serious on content creation, I'll most likely use serious kit. The V30 is a fantastic companion for content creators, that I'll say, especially as a secondary or a backup. I've seen Pocketnow videos filmed on a V20 and they look pretty good.

But I also feel like the focus on content creation had also let to the lack of focus on the more basic stuff.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Actually looking into getting the LG V20 coming soon and haven't really looked much at the new V30, so seeing this review beforehand was a nice insight.

All in all, I think it's a nice improvement and the perfect phone for me personally. (No headphone jack is a auto deal breaker for me. So alot of the new phones I don't care about) I never had a phone with a non-removable battery though and not really sure how I'd do with one. I'm use to being able to snatch out the battery when a phone locks up on rare occasion and it's 100% unresponsive. Can't exactly do that with a non-removable one... I'm guessing newer smartphones are improved though so that it's highly unlikely this'll happen? Especially bearing in mind non-removable battery is like a standard now...

Although, I guess non-removable is how they are able to give you extras like IP68 Waterproof Ratings. So there's that...

Also I somehow missed the fact that the LG V phones don't have a notification light... I'm use to having a notification light. I like propping my phone beside my monitor (currently using a make shift stand. Plan to get a actual stand along with the new phone though) and I can see the notification light when I get a notification in the event I don't hear it go off (especially when on vibrate) like when I'm listening to music or I'm heavily into a game.

I guess the second screen could work though, just would like a little more hands-on detail about it. Sounds like I would be able to have the second screen auto-turn on (I don't like my screen just popping on when a notification comes on but just the second screen part might not be so bad.) when a notification comes in and I can actually see the notification. Has anyone tried this sort of thing before with a LG V10/20/30?

2 minutes ago, RyanEsau said:

I guess the second screen could work though, just would like a little more hands-on detail about it. Sounds like I would be able to have the second screen auto-turn on (I don't like my screen just popping on when a notification comes on but just the second screen part might not be so bad.) when a notification comes in and I can actually see the notification. Has anyone tried this sort of thing before with a LG V10/20/30?

V30 doesn't have a ticker display. It has an AOD instead and a floating bar.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

V30 doesn't have a ticker display. It has an AOD instead and a floating bar.

So... just like a different kind of second screen from the V10/V20? Would I still be able to make it work like I mentioned?

4 minutes ago, RyanEsau said:

So... just like a different kind of second screen from the V10/V20? Would I still be able to make it work like I mentioned?

No. You have to use the AOD 

37 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

No. You have to use the AOD 

Oh... Just looked it up in a video (Had mixed up what AOD was) where they compared the V20/V30 side-by-side (AOD vs Second Screen) and I don't really like it all that much.

The second screen isn't so bad though. I kinda like it. Think I'll stick with the V20 unless something else pops up.

Also I don't really like the odd resolution. But I think I could've lived it. (2880x1440) Assuming that's not 16:9 which I'd rather stick to and avoid black bars for media.

Seems like a decent phone on paper, but I'll be honest here I never had LG phones so what they actually deliver is something I do not know.

I prefer Chinese imports, they do what need them to do for 1.5-2 years.

When Samsung releases a phone with that graphite battery then I might delve into buying phones locally again!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

3 hours ago, RyanEsau said:

Also I don't really like the odd resolution. But I think I could've lived it. (2880x1440) Assuming that's not 16:9 which I'd rather stick to and avoid black bars for media.

The V30 is using an 18:9 aspect ratio, which is also used by the LG G6 and its Google-sibling, the Pixel 2 XL.

Many of the so-called "bezel-less" devices have aspect ratios which aren't 16:9. Some are 18:9 (or also known as 2:1 since they are essentially 2 perfect squares) while others are 19:10 and Samsung especially uses 18.5:9

Really? He doesn't like it because there are no useless gimmicks like other phones have?

Also, is using the speakers on a phone really that common for people? I use the headphone jack on my phone 90% of the time when listening to something.

• 2 weeks later...

The next Generation of "Cell Phones" will come with "Fire Extinguishers" :D

ultrafire-6kg-abc-powder.jpg