Pixel 2 with a Headphone Jack? – LG V30 Review

Hey nick

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

It seems like a good phone with a good build quality, camera, screen, and... a headphone jack!

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Ah, this review. Seems like forever ago since I have watched it.

#FloatPlaneClubFTW

but the phone recently came out and the video itself is unlisted still

no way you've seen this before

I figured you never would review it. This was a surprise.

I would like to point out few things. No mention of all the awesome stuff in the camera? It is arguably the best phone for people who like to play with camera, settings and all. Not the best camera, compared to Pixel 2 XL or Not 8, but afaik it blows them out of water with all possibilities for anyone that needs a lot of options for whatever they're doing. 

I agree that the battery is too small, but many tests, and user reviews, have shown it to last longer than most flagships. For instance, Pixel 2 XL that you mentioned has bigger battery, but depending on what you're doing, it may last way less than V30. And combined tests do put them on pair. 

And this is the part where I'd like to point out that the P-OLED may sadly be a bigger problem than you have point it out. It is the first LG OLED phone screen, but even with taking that into account, I reckon you had a pretty good luck, compared to all problems people had with their screens, even out of the box. Hopefully they get up to Samsung level soon.

And kudos for going clear on G5 review. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

24 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I would like to point out few things. No mention of all the awesome stuff in the camera? It is arguably the best phone for people who like to play with camera, settings and all. Not the best camera, compared to Pixel 2 XL or Not 8, but afaik it blows them out of water with all possibilities for anyone that needs a lot of options for whatever they're doing. 

You can polish a turd all you want - it's still just a turd :P 

Settings might be nice for some but for most people it just comes down to the image quality you're going to get, and frankly it doesn't match up with the competition in that regard.

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

don't get why you wouldn't rather have an iphone at that price tag ^^

Some people just really really love Android I guess :P 

I'm team iPhone for sure, but I can see why some hate it. It's not a great experience for power users, but if you just want your phone to work with no BS it's unmatched IMO.

9 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

don't get why you wouldn't rather have an iphone at that price tag ^^

Well I guess because I want something I can use and be productive with :P

Edit:

On the subject of the phone. I've used it for a week now and I love it. The battery life gets me a good 1.5 to 2 days of charge and does everything I need it to. I don't care about the speaker since I almost never use it on any phone (not just this one) and the camera I don't really care about since I don't take lots of pictures. Screen is nice and the interface is slick, it did take a little getting used to the lack of side power button coming from an S7 and the notification LED I actually like not having so I don't get distracted. I wish I could have gotten it in black but I've slapped a case on it and I barely know it's silver now. Overall I would give it a 9/10 for my needs and use for the phone.

*Note: This is me coming from a Galaxy S7 and not liking the curved edges of the S8 so I needed something else.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Well I guess because I want something I can use and be productive with :P

How do you define productivity then? 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

How do you define productivity then? 

Sorry, it's a joke we (myself and other colleagues) make at work with the Mac users around us, should have remembered I'm not at work :P 

I like my customization and if I want to root the phone I can, plus I don't like the garden of Apple to begin with, just never suited me but to each their own :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, nicklmg said:

You can polish a turd all you want - it's still just a turd :P 

Settings might be nice for some but for most people it just comes down to the image quality you're going to get, and frankly it doesn't match up with the competition in that regard.

In low light it lacks behind some phones, no arguing there, however pictures in bright light, as well as video recording, compared to other vastly more detailed reviews which said they are "top notch", "excellent" or " superb", I have yet to see a review which says it doesn't match flagships or someone that calls it a turd. :P 

This was one of my main issues with G5 review. Linus said the camera was bad, and showed only 1 picture. It's pretty much the same here. I'd like to hear more reasons why it's bad not up there. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Sorry, it's a joke we (myself and other colleagues) make at work with the Mac users around us, should have remembered I'm not at work :P 

I like my customization and if I want to root the phone I can, plus I don't like the garden of Apple to begin with, just never suited me but to each their own :)

I kinda agree on the Mac side of things although I use a macbook Pro for uni stuff but yea I often run into the "this would be easier on windows" situation. You give up a few things for a streamlined experience, I guess as long as you don't have to do too much technical/system stuff.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

... isn't this +12 months warranty for US only just "offset" for European 2 years standard?

3 hours ago, General Winter said:

but the phone recently came out and the video itself is unlisted still

no way you've seen this before

FloatPlane club is LTT's early access program.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

8 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

FloatPlane club is LTT's early access program.

You could have just said that you were a time traveler :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The phone is good.

But I cannot trust LG’s build quality again. Friend ordered a V30 from T-Mobile and when it arrived, it had so many issues, I struggled to understand how it passed QC. Display was god-awful on his and it had other defects that were just laughable to see on an $800+ device.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I like how he completely ignores the wide angle lens on the camera, a useful feature despite how everyone else is going with telephoto lens.  Way to be thorough Linus!

Such a lazy smartphone review once again. Why didn’t he touched the selling point of the LG V30 which is manual camera controls for video recording? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Such a lazy smartphone review once again. Why didn’t he touched the selling point of the LG V30 which is manual camera controls for video recording? 

Because that's not actually the hallmark feature. Minus LOG format recording, all smartphones with the Camera2 API can adjust shutter speed, ISO and white balance in video, albeit with a third party app, but the V30 does come with them OOTB.

Really, those who want the V30 are audiophiles or content creators. I know one of them and he loves the V30. For the average Joe though, what does an awesomeness manual mode or supreme DAC mean to someone who literally only taps a shutter button or listens to compressed MP3s?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

21 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Because that's not actually the hallmark feature

It is actually. And yet not a single mention nor a single whisper about the features LG is advertising. Shouldn't be the point of a review to test an advertised feature if it stands up to scrutiny?

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v30/camera

No mention of the dual cameras where on camera is at 71 degrees whereas the other one is at 120 degrees. There's not even a single mention of the high fidelity video recording.

5a24ce52dbcd7_Screenshot(420).png.6e750d4042158fcfb6a00b6f00b9e16b.png

So I stand to what I said that Linus' review of the LG V30 feels a bit lazy.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

It is actually. And yet not a single mention nor a single whisper about the features LG is advertising. Shouldn't be the point of a review to test an advertised feature if it stands up to scrutiny?

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v30/camera

No mention of the dual cameras where on camera is at 71 degrees whereas the other one is at 120 degrees. There's not even a single mention of the high fidelity video recording.

5a24ce52dbcd7_Screenshot(420).png.6e750d4042158fcfb6a00b6f00b9e16b.png

So I stand to what I said that Linus' review of the LG V30 feels a bit lazy.

Yes and no.

A review is a subjective account of one's experience with a product. Linus reviewed it in a way which is influenced by his usage pattern. 

And you can't really call it much of a hallmark feature when I can do the same on a Note8.

Screenshot_20171204-120646.thumb.jpg.dc18033161b025f5388737de43460597.jpg

And I do watch the Real Camera Reviews religiously. Remember that Juan is reviewing it on the premise of phone cameras being content creation tools. His philosophy is wildly different.