How Should I upgrade

Hey all!

I am still using my 2006 Blackberry Pearl and have decided that it is finally time to upgrade. Obviously, it's been a while since I have gotten a phone and I have no idea how to smart phone. What is a good *Entry Level* smart phone? I really don't want to go apple, but beyond that I have no idea where to even start. Tell me what you guys think would be a good phone to start on with your experience.

I have the option to start using a Galaxy S (The original) that my friend found in a box in their closet, but I am concerned that it won't be able to handle any apps due to it's age.

I plan on upgrading as a Christmas present to myself, so I look forward to seeing what knowledge of current affairs and newfangled technology you can all dump on me!

Edit: I am on T-Mobile

Who is your mobile phone provider?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your mobile phone provider?

Sorry about that, I'm on T-Mobile.

3 minutes ago, eivilcow said:

Sorry about that, I'm on T-Mobile.

Maybe a used Galaxy S7 or S6 perhaps?

What's your rough budget for a phone?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

There's a lot of personal preference when picking budget phones, like what you value more in a phone. The moto E series were a good start for stock android with decent performance with ok hardware. Some of the Chinese brands have better hardware for the price however they have their own skins on android and some (like myself) find them more annoying than they're worth. Really depends on what you consider budget though. Sometimes old flagship phones are the better choice if you can afford them.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What's your rough budget for a phone?

Budget is not a concern (Not gonna get a gold and diamond encrusted phone, but I'm willing to invest a pretty penny). I am most concerned about usability for someone who has quite literally never used a smart phone before. That is why I am considering the Galaxy S, it was created when people were still moving over from dumb phones.

11 minutes ago, eivilcow said:

Hey all!

I am still using my 2006 Blackberry Pearl and have decided that it is finally time to upgrade. Obviously, it's been a while since I have gotten a phone and I have no idea how to smart phone. What is a good *Entry Level* smart phone? I really don't want to go apple, but beyond that I have no idea where to even start. Tell me what you guys think would be a good phone to start on with your experience.

I have the option to start using a Galaxy S (The original) that my friend found in a box in their closet, but I am concerned that it won't be able to handle any apps due to it's age.

I plan on upgrading as a Christmas present to myself, so I look forward to seeing what knowledge of current affairs and newfangled technology you can all dump on me!

Edit: I am on T-Mobile

One Plus 5/5T  

Samsung Galaxy S7

Google Pixel 

Nexus 6P 

LG G6

Nexus 6

Something like the iPhone SE or the 7 would probably be good bets if you want to go iOS. For Android, shoot for something in the Pixel lineup, or a last gen flagship.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Im happy with my OnePlus 3T. Im on T Mobile as well, and it works. Not sure on the OnePlus 5 or 5T as they came out before I bought my phone. But they do cost a little less than the flagship Samsung and Apple Devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.