Need a new phone for little sister

Sa1tama
Go to solution Solved by Sa1tama,
Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The issue is with an iPhone 5/5S, she has to control her expectations as those phones will run like pigs with their highest iOS updates. Don't expect to be able to run the latest social media apps with ease. 

Well then. I will just buy her Samsung Galaxy J3

Hello!

My sister wants a phone for christmas. She keeps telling me that she wants a Xiaomi phone (Idk why).

I said that she can't use an android phone, so i wanted to buy her Iphone 5/S.

Please tell me what to buy!

P.S Also I am short on budget around 100-175USD

3 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Hello!

My sister wants a phone for christmas. She keeps telling me that she wants a Xiaomi phone (Idk why).

Why can't she use an Android phone? A Galaxy J3 would be around that price. An iPhone 5/5S will probably run marginal on iOS 11 if she updates it. That 1GB of RAM can only go so far.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

Why can't she use an android phone lol?

Umm... She doesn't know english well...

Just now, _SAITAMA_ said:

Android phones only come in English?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Android phones don't just come in english

https://www.wikihow.tech/Change-the-Language-in-Android

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

1 minute ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

You can change system language in Android. It's the same as iOS.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

Android phones only come in English?

But from my expirience she can't download viruses that easily on IOS

You can't download viruses easily on Android either.....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You would not say that if you knew her...

No no, I would. 

And if you're so set on iOS then I don't understand the purpose of the question....there are only a handful of possible options, so see what's in your price range and buy that.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

I wouldn't worry about that like djdwosk97 said. If she wants an android phone I don't see why make the arbitrary decision that she can't?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

It is seriously  not that easy to get a virus and if you are so worried about it you can get mobile anti-virus apps

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

2 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Well thanks everyone!

Are you going to consider an android phone because if its what she wants then you should give her what she wants. What if she's had experience with IOS and doesn't like it?

Edit: I reread this and I don't mean to come off as rude

Edited by Bigbootyjudy

Just now, Bigbootyjudy said:

Are you going to consider an android phone because if its what she wants then you should give her what she wants. What if she's had experience with IOS and doesn't like it?

Nope, no expirience what so ever

7 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

5 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

if it is THAT bad, she does not belong near a computer IMO (or anything with internet access and the ability to install random software)

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

if it is THAT bad, she does not belong near a computer IMO

Well she WILL KILL ME! 

15 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Hello!

Reading through this all Why ask if your just going to go against everyones advice and Her own wants.

Personally i wouldnt get the Iphone just due to screen size and there are many great android phones under $170  with 1080p 5.5 inch screens 4" just feels tiny in todays standard. 

The Real important info is what LTE bands / Carrier your needs are ect. 

Just now, michaelocarroll007 said:

Reading through this all Why ask if your just going to go against everyones advice and Her own wants.

Personally i wouldnt get the Iphone just due to screen size and there are many great android phones under $170  with 1080p 5.5 inch screens 4" just feels tiny in todays standard. 

The Real important info is what LTE bands / Carrier your needs are ect. 

She told me that she doesm't want Iphone anymore, she wants Xiaomi, buy I don't know anithing about Xiaomi

5 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Well she WILL KILL ME! 

OR, get her a cheap phone and computer, let her fuck it up by downloading viruses and crapware and all that, and then teach her how to clean up the mess she just made.

that means: YOU just sit back and tell her what to do while she does it and she's not allowed to leave until the damn thing works again.

that's what i did to my brother. and it helped. 

after he had to sit through a complete session of wiping the boot drive and re-installing windows 7 on a pentium 4 (including another hour of driver hunting for ancient hardware) he realised what he's putting me through everytime he fucks up his windows installation.

had no problems with his computer since. 

She told me that she doesm't want Iphone anymore, she wants Xiaomi, buy I don't know anithing about Xiaomi

Buying a used/ refurbished Android would be really good option  like a HTC 10 goes for 180 refurbished has a Snapdragon 820 Which is really fast a good screen dual speakers finger print reader ect.  the Snapdragon 820 and a phone like this would blow most budgets out of the water. But if you want straight up new Budget phones are also good. 

ZTE makes great phones in the price range  ZTE Zmax Pro 1/2

Motorolla and samsung budget phones are Okay.

ive heard good things about le Eco Phones  like the s3

Xiaomi i believe does also have decent budget phones i dont know any models off the top of my head.

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

OR, get her a cheap phone and computer, let her fuck it up by downloading viruses and crapware and all that, and then teach her how to clean up the mess she just made.

that means: YOU just sit back and tell her what to do while she does it and she's not allowed to leave until the damn thing works again.

after he had to sit through a complete session of wiping the boot drive and re-installing windows 7 on a pentium 4 (including another hour of driver hunting for ancient hardware) he realised what he's putting me through everytime he fucks up his windows installation.

She will fuck up the computer, then i just sit and teach her for 3hrs and she doesn't get it, then she trashes it again and asks me to give her my phone

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

Driver hunting use to be my biggest time waster, UGH a laptop with a wifi card that didnt work out of a fresh install is the worst.  This alone is a huge reason i love windows 10 unlike many on here its so much better at Drivers