REPOST New Custom PC will not shut down.

My original post got only 2 replies, one which wasn't all that helpful and the other was a troll. Bumping it didn't get anymore attention..

I am building a PC for my roommate's dad (though this will be the last time, something always has to go wrong.) Here's the parts list. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/wampflerman/saved/zwcHNG

I got everything all set up, all the drivers installed, tested some games, everything was fine, so i called it good and turned it off. Except it didn't turn off, even though windows says "shutting down" and then the screen goes black, all the fans keep spinning, the power light on the case stays on, and i can't hold down the power button to turn it all the way off, nor can I press the power button to turn it back on, the only thing I can do is turn off the power supply or unplug it from the wall in order to turn it off. All the research I did couldn't find anyone else with this same problem, other people were able to hold down the power button to shut it down. Their fix was to turn off fast boot in windows power settings, which didn't do anything for me. 

One thing I noticed is that the computer would not post after I unplugged the HDD, even though the 960 evo is the boot drive, though unplugging the HDD and formatting/reinstalling windows on the SSD only did not fix anything. I tried messing with some AHCI? driver things to see if that did anything. still lost on this. Any ideas?

Are you sure the power button wires are connected to the right pins?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Try disconnect everything which is not needed and add back one by one to isolate the issue. I the HDD activity light does not blink after 'shutdown' maybe check your power supply, it may not be receiving the command to turn off. Check all cables.

It is strange the computer will not even post without a HDD, this points to a serious fault. The BIOS may need an update (coffee lake is rather new).

8 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Try disconnect everything which is not needed and add back one by one to isolate the issue. I the HDD activity light does not blink after 'shutdown' maybe check your power supply, it may not be receiving the command to turn off. Check all cables.

It is strange the computer will not even post without a HDD, this points to a serious fault. The BIOS may need an update (coffee lake is rather new).

the HDD light does not blink, although should it when only using a 960 evo?

24 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Are you sure the power button wires are connected to the right pins?

yep I double checked that, they seem to have been right

So i've now tried unplugging everything that isn't necessary, and it still happens. (only things plugged in are: HDMI, AC power, 24 pin mobo connector and 8 pin cpu connector

you would think so, but it still happens when all the drives are completely wiped and there isn't even an operating system, or anything at all to boot from

UPDATE so i've tried a few things including the following:

• unplugged all storage devices so that there was nothing to boot from at all.
  • swapping the 8gb DIMM do slot B
  • using the power supply from my main PC
  • unplugging everything from power/mobo besides cpu and 24 pin power

there HAS to be something i'm not thinking of. I don't believe that this problem could be from a bad mobo/cpu/ram (the only hardware fail points I have left to test at this point in time).

Any settings I could try changing in the bios or something?

5 hours ago, Robert Downy Syndrome said:

Still looking for help if anyone has something for me

Check if Wake on Lan is enabled, that may prevent it from stopping if it is bombarded with wake packets by accident

8 hours ago, Robert Downy Syndrome said:

the HDD light does not blink, although should it when only using a 960 evo?

It would if accessing the storage drive even if it is an SSD albeit much less frequently.

Given that is can only be hardware if nothing is installed it can only be in the electricity supply , power supply , motherboard , RAM, CPU and build of case. Try see if there is a BIOS update , check all motherboard standoffs are correctly installed. Faulty RAM or a dead CPU would not even boot correctly.