Build questions, any advice would help!

Arkery

Hi, new to the forums and looking for a bit of advice! 

So I'm giving my nephew my 1070 and decided that it would be time for an upgrade on my entire build. I'm set in stone on a 1080ti so that's the only item on my list set in stone.

I use my pc for audio and content creation, as well as a bit of gaming of course, I'd like to look into 4k video rendering. As of right now my 4690k does the job fine but she's getting a bit tired. I have a habit of keeping all of my usbs plugged in with vr and my audio set up I need more then 6 usb ports, not sure on the motherboard itself but I would enjoy rgb . I'm thinking that a ryzen 1700/1800x would suite the build fine, 16 gb ram , 2tb of ssd storage and a 750w psu. So far the only mb I found with enough ports and then some is a hero vi but I'm maliable on any of these items. Any advice would help a lot especially with ryzen as I have limited knowledge on it.

Thanks for your time!

5 minutes ago, Arkery said:

So I'm giving my nephew my 1070 and decided that it would be time for an upgrade on my entire build. I'm set in stone on a 1080ti so that's the only item on my list set in stone.

I use my pc for audio and content creation, as well as a bit of gaming of course, I'd like to look into 4k video rendering. As of right now my 4690k does the job fine but she's getting a bit tired. I have a habit of keeping all of my usbs plugged in with vr and my audio set up I need more then 6 usb ports, not sure on the motherboard itself but I would enjoy rgb . I'm thinking that a ryzen 1700/1800x would suite the build fine, 16 gb ram , 2tb of ssd storage and a 750w psu. So far the only mb I found with enough ports and then some is a hero vi but I'm maliable on any of these items. Any advice would help a lot especially with ryzen as I have limited knowledge on it.

Thanks for your time!

DId you have a color scheme in mind and a budget?

I have a ryzen system, and although it's lower-end compared to what you're trying to build, I think I could help you out. You said you could only find 1 mobo that had enough ports. What ports exactly do you need? and how many of each?

If you aren't partial to ryzen, coffeelake intel cpu's have a little better performance

12 minutes ago, Arkery said:

Thanks for your time!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nYnWWX Something like this would work, especially if you are willing to OC the CPU.

@headhunter7987All of my interfaces are usb 3 .0 , I would need a minimum of about 8 to handle all of my audio gear plus vr and mouse and keyboard. I haven't really thought about upgrading anything to type c yet so that's just an added bonus.  

@attackattack0706 I'm not partial to ryzen but Intel has left me kinda salty with there most recent moves. I do need a good bit of cpu power however I had to oc my 4690k to keep audio from cracking on multiple instruments being recorded live. 

@BluJay614 that is definitely a good build for what I'm looking at, oc is definitely an option since I will have to run liquid to keep my studio quiet enough to mix and master tracks, will keep this in consideration and I really appreciate it!

Just pulled this together for you @Arkery. I think that for a little more money you could grab a little faster cpu, and that would help with oc. I also threw on an H115i AIO cooler. Tell me what you think!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6bNf6X

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3915vs3917

An i7 7700k is the same price and offers better performance unless you're completely burned out of intel. 

22 minutes ago, Arkery said:

@headhunter7987All of my interfaces are usb 3 .0 , I would need a minimum of about 8 to handle all of my audio gear plus vr and mouse and keyboard. I haven't really thought about upgrading anything to type c yet so that's just an added bonus.  

@attackattack0706 I'm not partial to ryzen but Intel has left me kinda salty with there most recent moves. I do need a good bit of cpu power however I had to oc my 4690k to keep audio from cracking on multiple instruments being recorded live. 

itd be more cost effective to get an i7 4790k

@headhunter7987 that's another good build, I'll keep these in consideration and I am pretty salty with Intel as of right now. So ryzen it is for me!

@ImNotThere you're right the i7 upgrade would be more cost effective but the 4690k gave me a few good years and I think it's time to hop on the ddr4 bandwagon. I do appreciate your input though I had the same thoughts but I think it's just time for a pretty new build!

3 hours ago, Arkery said:

@headhunter7987 that's another good build, I'll keep these in consideration and I am pretty salty with Intel as of right now. So ryzen it is for me!

@ImNotThere you're right the i7 upgrade would be more cost effective but the 4690k gave me a few good years and I think it's time to hop on the ddr4 bandwagon. I do appreciate your input though I had the same thoughts but I think it's just time for a pretty new build!

in terms of gaming, the 4790k will outperform the r7 cpus, personally, i would upgrade to the 4790k for now and rethink in a few years when ddr4 prices come down and ryzen has better ipc(not a ryzen hater, use a 1600 myself)