Ryzen 2500u benchmark by The Tech Report (img heavy)

Prysin
31 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

WHY, if there are ultrabooks with GOOD battery life with MX150's and 8550u's then shouldn't this be compared to those? they are the direct competition for the R7 variant of these APU's after all and remember the MX150 only takes over when it's needed, so you don't have a constant hit to battery life and even still the MX150 is only good for accelerating workloads that can use the GPU, lets not kid anyone, NONE of these GPU's are gaming grade by any stretch of the imagination.

Because that isn't the market this APU is competing against. Simple as that. This is targeting Intel's 15w chips. Of course a dedicated GPU is going to be better. Onboard is never going to be as good as modern GPUs. You sure as hell can't get that kind of performance out of a 15w chip. Besides, its not like manufacturers can't pair a MX150 with one of these APUs anyway.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

Because that isn't the market this APU is competing against. Simple as that. This is targeting Intel's 15w chips. Of course a dedicated GPU is going to be better. Onboard is never going to be as good as modern GPUs. You sure as hell can't get that kind of performance out of a 15w chip. Besides, its not like manufacturers can't pair a MX150 with one of these APUs anyway.

but any GOOD thin and light laptop with a 4k screen and an 8550u is likely to have an MX150, so unless the R7 variant of this chip is going to under cut intel models in the same lineup by a significant amount (like 100's of dollars given the CPU performance) then they are in competition with those intel8thgen/mx150 units.

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

but any GOOD thin and light laptop with a 4k screen and an 8550u is likely to have an MX150, so unless the R7 variant of this chip is going to under cut intel models in the same lineup by a significant amount (like 100's of dollars given the CPU performance) then they are in competition with those intel8thgen/mx150 units.

The R7 variant is still a 15w chip. The 8550u is a 25w chip. The biggest, on paper, difference between the R5 and R7 ULV chips is that the R7 has a beefier graphics component. And we don't know how it performs, but likely around the R5 level or maybe above just enough to eek out a solid win against the 8250u, but it certainly isn't going to target a 25w chip. I'd be surprised if there is a big 4K push for either chip, at least for now. Anything 4K is probably better left for non-ULV chips.

12 minutes ago, Derangel said:

The R7 variant is still a 15w chip. The 8550u is a 25w chip. The biggest, on paper, difference between the R5 and R7 ULV chips is that the R7 has a beefier graphics component. And we don't know how it performs, but likely around the R5 level or maybe above just enough to eek out a solid win against the 8250u, but it certainly isn't going to target a 25w chip. I'd be surprised if there is a big 4K push for either chip, at least for now. Anything 4K is probably better left for non-ULV chips.

NOPE, WRONG,INCORRECT. BOTH of these chips are 15 deafault TDP that are CONFIGURABLE up to 25 watts, the 8550u can also be configured as low as 10 WATTS https://ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

the Ryzen 7 2700u is configurable between 12 and 25 watts https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-2700u

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

NOPE, WRONG,INCORRECT. BOTH of these chips are 15 deafault TDP that are CONFIGURABLE up to 25 watts, the 8550u can also be configured as low as 10 WATTS https://ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

the Ryzen 7 2700u is configurable between 12 and 25 watts https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-2700u

Ah, interesting. All the slides I've seen for the R7 said it was a 15w chip. Very interesting.

2 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Ah, interesting. All the slides I've seen for the R7 said it was a 15w chip. Very interesting.

same for the 2500u, I just checked, I saw some video that claimed to be benchmarks between the 2 chips and people called that guy out in the comments for saying the 8550u was 25 watt while claiming 15 for the 2700u, which is why I knew about this.

we also know from desktops Ryzen and Intel IPC are nearly identical and Intel has a slightly higher boost clocks in these scenarios so intel should edge them out provided the laptop tested has adequate cooling (thats the real test we need 1 of each of these chips all in the same chassis to see which truly performs best) the ability for different manufactures to configure these with different TDP's to meet the cooling capacity of the laptop will be a major player in terms of which performs better. the Ryzens will always beat the Intel in terms if the iGPU, but being both solutions are useless for gaming does it really matter which wins?

39 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

same for the 2500u, I just checked, I saw some video that claimed to be benchmarks between the 2 chips and people called that guy out in the comments for saying the 8550u was 25 watt while claiming 15 for the 2700u, which is why I knew about this.

we also know from desktops Ryzen and Intel IPC are nearly identical and Intel has a slightly higher boost clocks in these scenarios so intel should edge them out provided the laptop tested has adequate cooling (thats the real test we need 1 of each of these chips all in the same chassis to see which truly performs best) the ability for different manufactures to configure these with different TDP's to meet the cooling capacity of the laptop will be a major player in terms of which performs better. the Ryzens will always beat the Intel in terms if the iGPU, but being both solutions are useless for gaming does it really matter which wins?

Integrated can play a part in video as well. Or light content creation. The HP, for example, has wacom support. The ULV Ryzen's seem well suited for light content creation, the iGPU could even handle some graphics work. Nothing heavy, of course, but I think stuff like that is a great market for these convertible ultrabooks. Toss an MX150 on either the Intel or Ryzen chips and it becomes a pretty solid, portable, content creation machine. Its an area where heavier laptops really can't compete as the thin and light nature of these laptops make them easier to handle for long stretches at a time.

2 hours ago, Derangel said:

Integrated can play a part in video as well. Or light content creation. The HP, for example, has wacom support. The ULV Ryzen's seem well suited for light content creation, the iGPU could even handle some graphics work. Nothing heavy, of course, but I think stuff like that is a great market for these convertible ultrabooks. Toss an MX150 on either the Intel or Ryzen chips and it becomes a pretty solid, portable, content creation. Its an area where heavier laptops really can't compete as the thin and light nature of these laptops make them easier to handle for long stretches at a time.

the HP Spectre x360 15t was refreshed a few months ago with the 8550u and an MX150, it might not be as "ultralight" as some but it's still sub 5 pounds which is great for a 15" laptop and has pen support and is convertible and all that, thats the one I chose for my next computer since I don't like small screens but wanted something with a really nice screen on it and I wasn't impressed by the MSI gaming laptop screens that are TN panels trying to simulate the color of IPS.

Source

The review from Notebookcheck is out and they are, as always, very thorough.

On paper, it's a decent device and the Ryzen APU really shows its prowess in synthetic benchmarks beating out even Intel's Iris Pro configuration.

Unfortunately, in reality it's a buggy unstable steaming pile of... You get the picture.

A very rough gem. The performance-per-Dollar is easily the highlight of HP's first notebook centered around AMD's Raven Ridge platform. It's too bad that the software is still a buggy mess

They cut every corner they could find so it's a very mediocre experience.

Available SKUs of the AMD-based Envy x360 15 are understandably very limited. Options that are normally configurable, such as the CPU and display, are instead fixed at the Ryzen 5 2500U APU and 1080p IPS touchscreen. In comparison, this exact same Envy X360 15 system with Intel Kaby Lake-R has multiple CPU and display options that may be more desirable for potential buyers.

I'll add more shortly

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

SNIP

I merged your thread with the already existing one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

snip

Wait what? it's got bloatware?

RIP

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I merged your thread with the already existing one.

You broke my post. I was about to add like 10 paragraphs. All gone. Thanks. :-)

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

You broke my post. I was about to add like 10 paragraphs. All gone. Thanks. :-)

Since it's about the same topic, it had to be either locked, removed or merged. I merged it with the existing post to keep the forum clean and keep the interesting input you wrote in your thread.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

11 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Since it's about the same topic, it had to be either locked, removed or merged. I merged it with the existing post to keep the forum clean and keep the interesting input you wrote in your thread.

So what you're saying is that it's gone and that I have no recourse. This is why we can't have nice things and why I stopped posting news. You have to spend a lot of time and effort on it only to be forced to fight the awful forum software every step of the way like it was made to make you consider if you really want to go through with it and if for some messed up reason you don't lose your post then you move on to next obstacle/boss: now you have to fight the mods. It's simply not worth the effort. And I even typed it all on a god damn phone and having to switch tabs to insert quotes and making sure to switch back to my post frequently and hope the page doesn't reload killing my work.

Yeah, I'm so annoyed with it that I decided to still respond from my phone. You could at least have checked that I was still editing my post which was apparent from both the post itself and the users reading it if not any mod tools you might have.

Posts should be saved or recoverable but I'm guessing floatplane club takes precedent.

I'll make sure to stick to the policy of not making news posts to avoid future frustration. And the post was primarily about the HP laptop but with added comments on Ryzen. So it's very debatable whether it should be here and I did consider it before posting.

Good day, sir.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Source

The review from Notebookcheck is out and they are, as always, very thorough.

On paper, it's a decent device and the Ryzen APU really shows its prowess in synthetic benchmarks beating out even Intel's Iris Pro configuration.

Unfortunately, in reality it's a buggy unstable steaming pile of... You get the picture.

They cut every corner they could find so it's a very mediocre experience.

I'll add more shortly

dam hp put some horrible memory on that laptop, Wow cl17!! at 2333 

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

It's especially dumb because it literally gimps iGPU performance :S

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

2333?

Where is the missing 67MHz?!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's especially dumb because it literally gimps iGPU performance :S

no wonder the latency was so massive

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

2333?

Where is the missing 67MHz?!

sure, small difference still shit ram.

i am running 2400 cl13 with a very cheap ddr3 kit ffs.

btw the rest of the laptop seems to have gotten an downgrade, which makes no sense to me, unless someone is trying to paint a bad picture of amd

11 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

There are bigger problems than the RAM.

The software is unstable and buggy causing games to not run and the system to crash. That's at least equal parts AMD and HP. 

AMD has the exact same problems they have had with mobile for the last decade: launching on a platform of mediocrity. HP cut every corner: no real options to configure, bad to mediocre display, keyboard, trackpad and pretty much every other thing can be described as such. The battery life is bad, there is a mechanical HDD and did I mention the thing crashes for no good reason?

The platform isn't ready and I don't think it's going to step above mediocre when the software gets fixed by AMD and HP.

Intel's ecosystem is mature and Intel seems better prepared to help built a good device. WiFi for example. They opted for Realtek instead of Intel in this case. So you get slow WiFi that cuts out. You also lose a bunch of IO. 

So AMD may built a good core but everything around that core isn't up to the task. And AMD hasn't been able to get OEMs to try built a decent device so why should customers have any confidence in them going forward. They could at least have shed the idea that AMD can't make good launch drivers but no. The synthetics don't match real world.

It's so disappointing yet so expected.

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

no wonder the latency was so massive

sure, small difference still shit ram.

i am running 2400 cl13 with a very cheap ddr3 kit ffs.

btw the rest of the laptop seems to have gotten an downgrade, which makes no sense to me, unless someone is trying to paint a bad picture of amd

I checked my kb-r x360  and it also uses CL17 ram. It's at 1196MHz, which is effectively 2393Mhz. I'm missing 7MHz out of the total 2400MHz. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

32 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

There are bigger problems than the RAM.

The software is unstable and buggy causing games to not run and the system to crash. That's at least equal parts AMD and HP. 

AMD has the exact same problems they have had with mobile for the last decade: launching on a platform of mediocrity. HP cut every corner: no real options to configure, bad to mediocre display, keyboard, trackpad and pretty much every other thing can be described as such. The battery life is bad, there is a mechanical HDD and did I mention the thing crashes for no good reason?

The platform isn't ready and I don't think it's going to step above mediocre when the software gets fixed by AMD and HP.

Intel's ecosystem is mature and Intel seems better prepared to help built a good device. WiFi for example. They opted for Realtek instead of Intel in this case. So you get slow WiFi that cuts out. You also lose a bunch of IO. 

So AMD may built a good core but everything around that core isn't up to the task. And AMD hasn't been able to get OEMs to try built a decent device so why should customers have any confidence in them going forward. They could at least have shed the idea that AMD can't make good launch drivers but no. The synthetics don't match real world.

It's so disappointing yet so expected.

the reason to me is pretty simple, intel is probably still pressuring if not outright bribing the oems, they couldn't stop the desktop market because it doesn't depend on oems anymore, in this case they are back to a situation where amd struggles to get good products out because the other guys are against them

32 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the reason to me is pretty simple, intel is probably still pressuring if not outright bribing the oems, they couldn't stop the desktop market because it doesn't depend on oems anymore, in this case they are back to a situation where amd struggles to get good products out because the other guys are against them

I had a amd apu netbook and it ran like crap even with 6gb of ram, ssd, and a clean os. So no, it has nothing to do with Intel. The reason why everyone expect more from it is because of VEGA.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I had a amd apu netbook and it ran like crap even with 6gb of ram, ssd, and a clean os. So no, it has nothing to do with Intel. The reason why everyone expect more from it is because of VEGA.

he is talking about when Intel bribed  OEM before AMD made APU's, and saying maybe Intel is still giving some of these "incentives"

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

he is talking about when Intel bribed  OEM before AMD made APU's, and saying maybe Intel is still giving some of these "incentives"

If that was the case then what is the point for amd to even release Ryzen. They might as well just continue to use old cpu architecture instead. Again it has nothing to do with intel bribing oems. They have in the past, but I don't think the performance of this laptop has anything to do with it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

If that was the case then what is the point for amd to even release Ryzen. They might as well just continue to use old cpu architecture instead. Again it has nothing to do with intel bribing oems. They have in the past, but I don't think the performance of this laptop has anything to do with it.

that make no sense, AMD wants a more competitive product that's why.

The performance of the new Ryzen mobile APU's are a HUGE step up from the old ones. they are also faster then all of Intels 7th generation parts at the same wattage.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc