Just wanted to thank you guys. :~}

So I guess here's the reason why I'm thanking you guys.
Ever since the end of 2016, I had always bought my gaming computers from iBuyPower. I'm 24, and I know that building your own computer is cheaper; my knowledge of computer components was limited — I knew that in gaming, more GHz in your processor was better, but I didn't know about cores bottlenecking gaming, and just the basics "what makes something better", instead of didn't know "why it makes it better".

Here's the story about why I decided it'd be time to learn about computers:
At the end of 2016, I had ordered a computer from iBuyPower, and it was probably the most nightmarish experience I had ever had. It was so bad that the only way that we could have things resolved was to take things to court. These were the issues from windows not being activated (it was a dummy version of windows for installing) and them not having any windows key on record, the customer sales rep completely ignoring me throughout the 3 months (it was supposed to arrive in 1 month) it took to get here, the computer arriving with a smashed up side panel, disconnected and broken lighting, cpu fan not functioning, 2/4 case fans not working, as well as not receiving $500 of extras we ordered, hung up on by customer support manager  (without being given a chance to speak) after waiting 40 minutes to be transferred, and a plethora of other things that happened. Basically, we did not get the things that we had an invoice for, and they refused to take responsibility. 

Anyway,
After this experience I decided that I'd just take the plunge and learn how to build a computer myself. However, I had nowhere to begin, had no idea what to learn, and the whole idea of learning about everything was super daunting. I started off by watching videos on tech quickie and Linus's channel — all the videos were funny, and/or super informative.

Now here's why I'm thanking you guys:
I have nonverbal learning disability. It's in the same family as Aspergers, but less severe in terms of social anxiety; as you get older, the social anxiety goes away. As for the learning disability aspect, NVLD makes it extremely hard for me to processes and retain verbal information, as well as having difficulty picking out key parts of explanations in order to understand things; learning verbally is basically impossible, and when reading, I basically need things explained in point-form, because like I said: I have difficulty picking out key parts of explanations. A good example of what I mean is something like a word problem: Sally was curious about the height to width ratio of a tree that has a height of 21.3' , with a diameter of 3.5' . How would she solve this? I put the points that you only need to pay attention to in italics; I try to process the entire question. Also, it's very, very difficult for me to put my thoughts on to paper, and even harder for me to explain things verbally. You know how there's things that you can't explain but "just know"? Literally everything is like that for me, which makes asking questions and explaining things very, very, very difficult for me without rambling and/or being redundant. Just look at how long this post is. :~{
Good news is that I use proverbs and examples to overcome a lot of it.

Basically,
Learning and explaining is challenging, but once I learn things, they stick.

The reason why I needed to tell you guys about my NVLD is because I already worry about sounding stupid when explaining and asking questions, and I was super worried about the stigma that enthusiast forums have. I thought for sure that since most of you guys are experts on computers, my questions would sound dumb, and the answers I'd get would be condescending like it's basic knowledge. However, I had a lot of questions about cooling, and before I could build my computer, I needed to ask somebody.

The answers I got from you guys were beyond nice, and I was basically treated as a friend because I was interested in computers like you guys. After so many helpful and nice replies despite me asking for things to be explained in point form, and having a ton of followup questions (I perceived it'd be annoying to you guys) I figured that you guys were so eager to help because you all remember what it was like first learning about computers. I'm assuming that at one point, you guys felt the excitement that I had when you guys started off.

But yeah,
11 months later, after tons of questions being asked, I got to the point where I was able to help some people out, with others agreeing with me. This place is the only forum that I've ever posted in, and I'm glad that this was the first one. :~}

Thanks. <3

CPU: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz || GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (Dual Fan) || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) 3200MHZ || MotherboardAsus STRIX Z270-E GAMING || Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Titanium (Windowless) || Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX300 1.1TB, Seagate- Barracuda 2TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W

Glad to hear you had a good experience here! :)

It's true that some members might be more "blunt", so if you ever have a problem with a reply, simply report it and don't reply ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

It's true that some members might be more "blunt", so if you ever have a problem with a reply, simply report it and don't reply ;)

Should i be reporting your comment then? I found it offensive.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

7 hours ago, Cotroneo said:

<snip>

Awesome! :D

Always happy to see positive feedback on the community.

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

5 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Should i be reporting your comment then? I found it offensive.

Ya we have to watch him sometimes ... but its ok we have "ways" to keep him in line. :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER