Computer Engineering and College

Like most people here, I absolutely love computers (mine especially), and I love them so much that I was hoping to make a career out of them. Being that technology is on the rise, as well as the job market for computer related jobs, I thought "what the hell, I could do this". I'm currently in high school, and I'm starting my future early. I've been looking at colleges and careers, and I know it's quite a reach but I want to go to MIT. I know I sound crazy, but hey, I'm in the top 10% in the country at my age, so maybe it's a possibility. I want to be a computer technology developer. I look at the latest discoveries of technology in the world, and I notice that all the actually noteworthy discoveries are being made in Asia. (Damn smart asses). I find myself thinking, damn I could do better, and that's what I want to do. I want to make technological break through's in relation to computers. So I guess what my question is, is what can I do now to prepare, and if anyone was in that line of work, what tips do you have for me?

Thanks, M.

Depends if you actually want to go into tech on the hardware side do electrical engineering (but you will never get famous, which it looks like thats all you want), if you want to do software do a computer science degree but the markets and layout that is currently here will be very different by then as your still really young.

Best case do a physics degree, MIT is a good school but id rather Caltech.

Personally im a physicist doing a masters with Intel on producing a light source at 13.5nm using LPP(laser produced plasma) 

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

First, welcome to LTT!

I didn't really infer that you were looking for the famous like Oisin Maguire said, but anyways that doesn't really matter. He's on the ball though - if you're looking for development on the software side, CS might benefit you better. That being said, every school's program (especially on the engineering side) can be incredibly different even if it has the same name. Best you could do is know what side of "computer development" you want, be it hardware or software, and then take a look at your university options! Pick a school with professors that you know have done cool research that you'd like to work off of, or work with for a thesis, or anything, for example. Keep going from there. Don't go to a school just because of the name (not saying MIT is bad, because it isn't at all haha, but go for a school where you find the degree content/research being done the most interesting to YOU).

Doesn't sound like you want to do electrical and/or computer engineering but something more software related. This leaves you with software engineering or computer science, which are both interesting industries. 

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

Fool around with some programming languages and goof off with some maths in the meantime. 

Depends if you actually want to go into tech on the hardware side do electrical engineering (but you will never get famous, which it looks like thats all you want), if you want to do software do a computer science degree but the markets and layout that is currently here will be very different by then as your still really young.

Personally im a physicist doing a masters with Intel on producing a light source at 13.5nm using LPP(laser produced plasma) 

First, welcome to LTT!

I didn't really infer that you were looking for the famous like Oisin Maguire said, but anyways that doesn't really matter. He's on the ball though - if you're looking for development on the software side, CS might benefit you better. That being said, every school's program (especially on the engineering side) can be incredibly different even if it has the same name. Best you could do is know what side of "computer development" you want, be it hardware or software, and then take a look at your university options! Pick a school with professors that you know have done cool research that you'd like to work off of, or work with for a thesis, or anything, for example. Keep going from there. Don't go to a school just because of the name (not saying MIT is bad, because it isn't at all haha, but go for a school where you find the degree content/research being done the most interesting to YOU).

What school would you recommend for microelectric engineering ? Or anything useful :)

(To make CPU's or GPU's if it's called something else please tell me :P)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

What school would you recommend for microelectric engineering ? Or anything useful :)

Yeah I want to do that too. Make CPU's and GPU's. But I'm kinda on the fence of that or peripherals. I want to make a hologram (who doesn't?). I don't want to be famous, I want to be one of many to make advances. I don't need my name to be out there, but I want to benefit the computer engineering community.

Sounds hard. That's a really low wavelength. Good luck!

Two things.

1) Be realistic, don't get too carried away.

2) Make sure Math and Physics are two things you enjoy. It'll be a large part of your life in EECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering).

Also, one last bit of advice. Ask yourself if you're willing to work as a Computer Engineer for free, regardless of how much you get paid. You'll obviously get paid for it, but if the only way you'll actually work in the industry is because of the pay, you've chosen the wrong career. 

Actually, another last bit of advice. Keep in mind the bigger picture, but don't try to do everything. You've mentioned quite a few technological advances that are jumping across multiple fields - most people don't have the time to study more than one. Focus on one (the one you find most interesting) and study bits of the rest. 

e: I lied, more last bit of advice.

Don't focus on the goal. Focus on the journey. Assume you're never going to design hardware, but prepare yourself for it anyway. On the off-chance that you do get the opportunity, you'll make use of your education. If you don't, you'll still learn something valuable and can do something with that knowledge. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah I want to do that too. Make CPU's and GPU's. But I'm kinda on the fence of that or peripherals. I want to make a hologram (who doesn't?). I don't want to be famous, I want to be one of many to make advances. I don't need my name to be out there, but I want to benefit the computer engineering community.

I want to make plans for GPU's, some might say I'm crazy, but I want my dream to happen (I'll have to move from Canada to the US but it will be worth it :P)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Two things.

1) Be realistic, don't get too carried away.

2) Make sure Math and Physics are two things you enjoy. It'll be a large part of your life in EECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering).

Also, one last bit of advice. Ask yourself if you're willing to work as a Computer Engineer for free, regardless of how much you get paid. You'll obviously get paid for it, but if the only way you'll actually work in the industry is because of the pay, you've chosen the wrong career. 

Actually, another last bit of advice. Keep in mind the bigger picture, but don't try to do everything. You've mentioned quite a few technological advances that are jumping across multiple fields - most people don't have the time to study more than one. Focus on one (the one you find most interesting) and study bits of the rest. 

e: I lied, more last bit of advice.

Don't focus on the goal. Focus on the journey. Assume you're never going to design hardware, but prepare yourself for it anyway. On the off-chance that you do get the opportunity, you'll make use of your education. If you don't, you'll still learn something valuable and can do something with that knowledge. 

With everything you said it seems like this career was made for me :)

I want to make plans for GPU's, some might say I'm crazy, but I want my dream to happen (I'll have to move from Canada to the US but it will be worth it :P)

Computer Engineering all the way!  When it comes to "designing processors" there are pretty much two areas you can go into: VLSI and Digital Design (dealing with device physics and electrical properties microelectronic circuits) or Computer Architecture (dealing more with device computation and hardware/software systems).  I'm personally leaning toward the latter, and really excited to take my first architecture class next semester.

But yeah, it's LOTS and LOTS of math.  You'll be working with integrals and differential equations and complex numbers all the time and it's important to be super comfortable with that stuff.  A good Physics foundation is important as well, mainly with regard to circuits.

And like rashdanml said, do it because you just love computer hardware that much.  Don't do it for the money.  It's not worth going through the rigorous curriculum just for the money.

buzz.bmp (Of course this is a totally unbiased suggestion. :P)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Computer Engineering all the way!  When it comes to "designing processors" there are pretty much two areas you can go into: VLSI and Digital Design (dealing with device physics and electrical properties microelectronic circuits) or Computer Architecture (dealing more with device computation and hardware/software systems).  I'm personally leaning toward the latter, and really excited to take my first architecture class next semester.

But yeah, it's LOTS and LOTS of math.  You'll be working with integrals and differential equations and complex numbers all the time and it's important to be super comfortable with that stuff.  A good Physics foundation is important as well, mainly with regard to circuits.

And like rashdanml said, do it because you just love computer hardware that much.  Don't do it for the money.  It's not worth going through the rigorous curriculum just for the money.

buzz.bmp (Of course this is a totally unbiased suggestion. :P)

I don't know wich of the 2 I want to choose and I don't know what are differential and integrals equations are (but I'm french canadian so it might be called something else) But I sure do love maths and physics (every other class is really boring) but I'm in secondary V so I'll probably learn that stuff later. I want to do it for the love of computer don't worry but money is still nice :)

What school is that ?

Edit : Nevermind i found it, Georgia tech ?

good luck with math. I'm taking Calculus for the 2nd time already T_T

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

To make CPU's/GPU's any school that has an electrical engineering degree in which you do lithography as an undergrad. Also they employ a lot of chemists {we need a lot of pure water and photo-resist}

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Like most people here, I absolutely love computers (mine especially), and I love them so much that I was hoping to make a career out of them. Being that technology is on the rise, as well as the job market for computer related jobs, I thought "what the hell, I could do this". I'm currently in high school, and I'm starting my future early. I've been looking at colleges and careers, and I know it's quite a reach but I want to go to MIT. I know I sound crazy, but hey, I'm in the top 10% in the country at my age, so maybe it's a possibility. I want to be a computer technology developer. I look at the latest discoveries of technology in the world, and I notice that all the actually noteworthy discoveries are being made in Asia. (Damn smart asses). I find myself thinking, damn I could do better, and that's what I want to do. I want to make technological break through's in relation to computers. So I guess what my question is, is what can I do now to prepare, and if anyone was in that line of work, what tips do you have for me?

Thanks, M.

BECOME A PROGRAMMER LIKE I AM

If your looking to make chips, im afraid most reasearchers are from India and africa (when they can be payed lower, I guess)

Source : AMD website

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

If your looking to make chips, im afraid most reasearchers are from India and africa (when they can be payed lower, I guess)

Source : AMD website

I thought they worked at silicon valley or somewhere in the states where companies like AMD, Intel and Nvidia are located.