can vega 56 run 4k med. 60fps?

mr anderson
Go to solution Solved by Phate.exe,

A Vega 56 can absolutely handle 4K60 at reasonably high settings.

You can generally think of it as an R9 Fury with double the memory and 40-50% higher clockspeed.

I use my Fury Nitro at 4K, and with the exception of Watch Dogs 2 and PUBG, I have very little difficulty keeping things in the 50's (with freesync things are plenty smooth as long as I keep it over 45fps) with pretty looking graphics.  The biggest problem I have is running out of vram.

I'm waiting to see what the aftermarket Vega 56's end up being like before upgrading.  Sapphire could literally just slap the Fury Nitro cooler onto a shortened Vega 56 card (modified for Vega's different VRM layout), and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  Which is pretty much what I'm hoping for, since I can't fit a Morpheus 2 in my case.

Depends on the game.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Depends on the game.

well in general like hard to run games

GTA V, battlefeild 1&4 ect

4 minutes ago, mr anderson said:

well in general like hard to run games

GTA V, battlefeild 1&4 ect

More like medium-low rather than medium-high.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

do you think is worth it or should i stick with 1440p, the monitor is whats motivating me, its 10bit and quantum dot, i couldn't find any 1440p monitor in the same category

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

most modern games look fine though even when they're at low-medium

and would you say 8GB of ram would be fine i really don't want to upgrade

I have a zotac 1080 and powercollor vega64. The vega64 does worse in GTA5 by a small margin on 1080p ultra everything.

You can generally think of it as an R9 Fury with double the memory and 40-50% higher clockspeed.

I use my Fury Nitro at 4K, and with the exception of Watch Dogs 2 and PUBG, I have very little difficulty keeping things in the 50's (with freesync things are plenty smooth as long as I keep it over 45fps) with pretty looking graphics.  The biggest problem I have is running out of vram.

I'm waiting to see what the aftermarket Vega 56's end up being like before upgrading.  Sapphire could literally just slap the Fury Nitro cooler onto a shortened Vega 56 card (modified for Vega's different VRM layout), and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  Which is pretty much what I'm hoping for, since I can't fit a Morpheus 2 in my case.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

OP said 60fps, not 45.

2 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

Go take a look at some benchmarks, at high settings the minimum fps drops below 60 in almost every intensive game, and the average is often below 60fps as well.

If OP wants a consistent 60fps without stuttering or frame drops then he will be playing at medium settings, not high or ultra.

Image result for vega 4k benchmark

Spoiler

Fear not!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

OP said 60fps, not 45.

Go take a look at some benchmarks, at high settings the minimum fps drops below 60 in almost every intensive game, and the average is often below 60fps as well.

If OP wants a consistent 60fps without stuttering or frame drops then he will be playing at medium settings, not high or ultra.

Right.  I've looked at benchmarks, they're almost always done with things turned way up past the point of diminishing returns.  I said "reasonably high settings" on purpose.  I get 45fps with a mix of medium and mostly high settings is on the Fury, a card from 2015 that barely cracks 1000MHz, and most of the time graphics settings need to be turned down due to running out of memory, which I can't do anything about.  A Vega 56 has about the same clock-for-clock performance as my card, but will clock 50% higher.  Sure, it's not gonna scale linearly, but between the clockspeed and not running out of vram 60fps is no problem.

You're acting like stuff is gonna be unplayable, and shit like this is why everybody thinks they need to buy a 1080ti for $700+.  If all you're gonna do is push all the sliders to the right, well yeah, of course performance is gonna tank.  But while there might be a large difference in quality between low and medium, or even medium and high, there's not a large perceptible difference between high and very high, and even less between as you get to the maximum settings.

Spend ten minutes tuning the settings, get your 60 fps, barely notice the difference in quality, if at all.  @Princess Cadence linked a video that goes into far more detail.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Fear not!

Couldn’t agree more. An extreme example perhaps, but I recently played gta online on my skylake integrated graphics as I had sold my 1080 and was waiting for my 1080Ti to arrive. Had to drop settings to lowest and play at 900p resolution but it was absolutely fine. Of course I could notice the graphical differences but playing on a Vega 56 or Nvidia equivalent, you can easily play at  4K at a great frame rate and with settings that still look awesome. 

Love not hate

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Right.  I've looked at benchmarks, they're almost always done with things turned way up past the point of diminishing returns.  I said "reasonably high settings" on purpose.  I get 45fps with a mix of medium and mostly high settings is on the Fury, a card from 2015 that barely cracks 1000MHz, and most of the time graphics settings need to be turned down due to running out of memory, which I can't do anything about.  A Vega 56 has about the same clock-for-clock performance as my card, but will clock 50% higher.  Sure, it's not gonna scale linearly, but between the clockspeed and not running out of vram 60fps is no problem.

You're acting like stuff is gonna be unplayable, and shit like this is why everybody thinks they need to buy a 1080ti for $700+.  If all you're gonna do is push all the sliders to the right, well yeah, of course performance is gonna tank.  But while there might be a large difference in quality between low and medium, or even medium and high, there's not a large perceptible difference between high and very high, and even less between as you get to the maximum settings.

Spend ten minutes tuning the settings, get your 60 fps, barely notice the difference in quality, if at all.  @Princess Cadence linked a video that goes into far more detail.

I don't think you understand the difference between "high" and "ultra".

Ultra is pushing all the sliders to the right.

None of the benchmarks I showed you were at ultra.

If you look at ultra benchmarks then even the 1080ti can't do 4k 60fps.

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand the difference between "high" and "ultra".

Ultra is pushing all the sliders to the right.

None of the benchmarks I showed you were at ultra.

If you look at ultra benchmarks then even the 1080ti can't do 4k 60fps.

I don't think you understand the graphs you posted.

The first ones you posted appear to be at ultra settings.  Very high/ultra, all features enabled pretty much translates to "all sliders to the right, they don't always call it ultra so we won't either".  The Metro Last Light benchmarks I have no clue, you just posted a bar graph with any useful information or context cropped out.  On Rise of the Tomb Raider, Very High is the highest quality preset, with a handful of additional settings (purehair, soft shadows, etc) that have an additional notch to go up.

Read/watch literally any optimization guide.  There are some settings that hit the gpu HARD despite offering very little improvement in quality outside of static screenshots.  It's just silly to see a card struggle at the highest settings and extrapolate that you're gonna have to drop things to low in order to hit 60fps.

10 hours ago, jeremymwilson said:

Couldn’t agree more. An extreme example perhaps, but I recently played gta online on my skylake integrated graphics as I had sold my 1080 and was waiting for my 1080Ti to arrive. Had to drop settings to lowest and play at 900p resolution but it was absolutely fine. Of course I could notice the graphical differences but playing on a Vega 56 or Nvidia equivalent, you can easily play at  4K at a great frame rate and with settings that still look awesome. 

Yeah joker did a similar video.